PDA

View Full Version : Too hot to boat???

rc5695
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
We decided to hit the lake yesterday afternoon for a little swim, since I knew it would be too hot for everybody to be in the boat for very long (and lack of gas money ;) ). Well, it was about 105 when we left the house, and had to pack up a second time after realizing the usual ramp is too shallow now (Lake Hartwell). We jumped in an area of 45-55 feet deep, and the top 3' of water had to be over 90 degrees. It was more comfortable in the shade of the bimini OUT of the water than it was in the water! We didn't stay long and headed further upstream, and found a spot where only the top 6-12" of water were warm, and it was nice and cool (probably 80! Lol) down by your feet. I did a lot of breath holding and staying down around 10' under. 8)

Anybody else avoid the lake because it was SO hot??? Personally, i think we'll start staying home if it is over 100F...Everybody did seem to have fun though...

KSmith
07-02-2012, 12:41 PM
We've had time like that. The only way to get cooled off is to get wet and drive like heck with the walk thru window open LOL. But yeah, there are times the water is so hot it just isn't refreshing and if there is no breeze and the 98+ humidity then it can be miserable. As such the wife and I went to the movies yesterday instead of out on the boat. This evening we'll be going out on the boat as long as the lightening storms keep out....

bergermaister
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I've heard of being too drunk to fish, but too hot to boat?

Have yet to experience that in my life...

rdlangston13
07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
if 100+ air temp and 90+ degree water temp where to keep us off the water we would do no boating from mid june to late august.... no such thing as too hot to boat!

Salyers
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Unless the water in the river evaporates or I am incinerated upon exit from my house there is no such thing as too hot to boat! Air temp was 104 with index of 112 and water temp was 85 yesterday and it was great!

E4NASH
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
if 100+ air temp and 90+ degree water temp where to keep us off the water we would do no boating from mid june to late august.... No such thing as too hot to boat!

unless the water in the river evaporates or i am incinerated upon exit from my house there is no such thing as too hot to boat! Air temp was 104 with index of 112 and water temp was 85 yesterday and it was great!

agreed!!!!

WaterBullDawg1980
07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
E is probably laughing at me. Ask him how many texts I sent him Saturday asking how he is surviving out there. He is a brave soul. Wife had a nice little list of chores to work on this weekend.

sandm
07-02-2012, 03:59 PM
the day it's too hot to boat is the day I'm in the creamated..

I've never seen water too hot to be in... except some of the hot springs around here, and that's just due to too much beer consumption :)

motosno963
07-02-2012, 04:34 PM
must be a southern thing...its never to hot to relax in the water

sfsllc
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I've heard of being too drunk to fish, but too hot to boat?

Have yet to experience that in my life...

Same here! :)

jpetty3023
07-02-2012, 05:24 PM
To hot to boat is like starting your truck without a battery. Never gonna happen

Sent from my home phone..

zabooda
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
When I lived in Florida, I stayed out of the back bayous this time of year as you didn't know what bacteria was growing there. Very little water movement made it questionable. Ninety degree water is like taking a bath and I can't say that sitting in the bath tub for hours is my cup of tea (hot or cold).

Where I live here, the air temperatures are in the 100s but the water temperatures barely hit 70 degrees except for the stagnant lakes that can be about 85 degrees. I still prefer the warmer water here so I take off a week at a time and go to those.

kaneboats
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
It was about 99 on Sat. and the water temp was about 82 or so. It felt cool when you jumped in. Might get a little warmer in the next month but its dang perfect right now.

bergermaister
07-03-2012, 02:05 AM
My little local lake just closed 2 days after we were there due to some kind of nasty blue green algae out break- gack!!!! It really wasn't that warm either.

Just spent a good 3 hours completely emptying my ballast bags and bleaching them out. Then another 10 gallons of bleach water flushed through the bilge and basement to make sure...

So much for going out there the morning of the 4th!

:(

Cigars n scotch
07-03-2012, 09:16 AM
This question is blasphemous! Never too got to boat. Water is definitely warming up here, it was 84 yesterday. It's been high 90's for the past 5 days and now we are getting a little break, mid to high 80's for the next couple of days. Perfect!

saskyrider
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
lol, it would never happen up here... it was 27 degrees C yesterday and the temp on my Perfect pass said 68.7, it was just right!! a little gasp when you jump in but within 30 seconds its perfect.

mmandley
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
We decided to hit the lake yesterday afternoon for a little swim, since I knew it would be too hot for everybody to be in the boat for very long (and lack of gas money ;) ). Well, it was about 105 when we left the house, and had to pack up a second time after realizing the usual ramp is too shallow now (Lake Hartwell). We jumped in an area of 45-55 feet deep, and the top 3' of water had to be over 90 degrees. It was more comfortable in the shade of the bimini OUT of the water than it was in the water! We didn't stay long and headed further upstream, and found a spot where only the top 6-12" of water were warm, and it was nice and cool (probably 80! Lol) down by your feet. I did a lot of breath holding and staying down around 10' under. 8)

Anybody else avoid the lake because it was SO hot??? Personally, i think we'll start staying home if it is over 100F...Everybody did seem to have fun though...

Bet you were wishing you had some NW water huh LOL

zabooda
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
My little local lake just closed 2 days after we were there due to some kind of nasty blue green algae out break- gack!!!! It really wasn't that warm either. :(

Was it Green Peter Lake? ha ha

jester
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Hot hot to boat Never but I do not know what wakeboarding in 80* water is like.

Berg and everyone else in Oregon. Check out the link below for blue green algae updates. You can setup an email alert. Bad thing is I am now seeing any lakes closed right now.

http://public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/Recreation/HarmfulAlgaeBlooms/Pages/index.aspx

Razzman
07-03-2012, 12:58 PM
My average summer lake day is 105+, so no it's never too hot! Even did Lake Shasta in Cali two years ago for five days: 115,116,116,118 & 116 ... we floated a lot!

jsly04XLV
07-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Think i'm agreeing with the majority... i do enjoy that some around me agree that it can be to hot to boat. Keeps alot of people off the lake. So finding clean water is easier than when it's mid 80s. Not that I can use it for myself at the moment as my knee is still messed up. Ah well, wife is getting much more time on the wake and surf board.

Jet
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Is this a trick question??

viking
07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
My average summer lake day is 105+, so no it's never too hot! Even did Lake Shasta in Cali two years ago for five days: 115,116,116,118 & 116 ... we floated a lot!

Amen brother. I boat whenever I can up north here and you can bet at 120 I'd be all over it. Most of you have winterized at temps we go boating in :)