PDA

View Full Version : Inland Surfer and Walker Project demos

brain_rinse
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I was lucky enough to get to try out 2 very nice surfboards last week and thought I'd write up a quick review of each.

First up was an Inland Surfer Red Rocket. This thing is BIG. Super stable and the easiest board I've ever ridden. Picks up speed nicely and still manueverable, but definitely built for the big boys. This board made it easy for the newbies too. As an example, we had 2 of girls ride it at the same time, no rope! You can belly surf this thing, have a kid sit on the nose, ride it like a kneeboard, all no rope. Tons of fun, but probably not your primary board unless you are a man of stature. Didn't get a chance to mess with the fins but there were 2 installed in the outside locations. Next trip will try the center spots and also quad fins and see how it changes the ride.

Next was a Walker Project F18. This one was a 5' which again is built to float the bigger boys. Still fairly stable and easy to ride but much faster and easier to slash around on compared to the IS. The most notable thing was how light this board was. I'm sure this contributed to the speed, but it also felt like I could have pushed my thumb through the top if I wanted. Too delicate for me, but some of the most fun I've had surfing. I will be looking for a comparable but more durable board when I'm in the market for a surf style board.

bergermaister
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
You think the Walker would get banged up too easily riding in a rack on the tower? Sounds like it but.

Where did you carry it on board if not in the racks?

brain_rinse
07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
You think the Walker would get banged up too easily riding in a rack on the tower? Sounds like it but.

Where did you carry it on board if not in the racks?
I would be worried about it in the racks, but I've been called OCD. I put the boards on the Z5 or in the rear lockers.

kaneboats
07-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Nice reviews. Thanks for sharing, bro.

brain_rinse
07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice reviews. Thanks for sharing, bro.
No problem! Usually in my area the only way to try out a board like these is to buy one of your own. I'd like to try a Lakewakes board and maybe a TripleX but that's probably not realistic. I really liked that wakesurf demo idea someone had awhile back.

wolfeman131
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I really liked that wakesurf demo idea someone had awhile back.
2nd time in 2 days someone has mentioned this. I tried to get this rolling last year but there were too many opinions on how to manage, fee and general negativity that I dropped it.

I'd consider looking into it again if interest was there.

Salyers
07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm down with a demo club! Don't think my wife would let her board go. But I've go 2 and soon to be 4 boards that I would be willing to let people try.

Replicant
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Question on the Walker. Is this an epoxy board or glass? I have the Red Rocket and love it (your review is spot on). I bought it for me but everyone loves this board. I have even had two very good, very experienced ocean surfers compliment the Red Rocket (one of them was doing 360s like it was no big deal). If you get to running a full quad let us know. I am undecided as to whether I want to spend the money for more fins.

Thanks,

Erik.

I was lucky enough to get to try out 2 very nice surfboards last week and thought I'd write up a quick review of each.

First up was an Inland Surfer Red Rocket. This thing is BIG. Super stable and the easiest board I've ever ridden. Picks up speed nicely and still manueverable, but definitely built for the big boys. This board made it easy for the newbies too. As an example, we had 2 of girls ride it at the same time, no rope! You can belly surf this thing, have a kid sit on the nose, ride it like a kneeboard, all no rope. Tons of fun, but probably not your primary board unless you are a man of stature. Didn't get a chance to mess with the fins but there were 2 installed in the outside locations. Next trip will try the center spots and also quad fins and see how it changes the ride.

Next was a Walker Project F18. This one was a 5' which again is built to float the bigger boys. Still fairly stable and easy to ride but much faster and easier to slash around on compared to the IS. The most notable thing was how light this board was. I'm sure this contributed to the speed, but it also felt like I could have pushed my thumb through the top if I wanted. Too delicate for me, but some of the most fun I've had surfing. I will be looking for a comparable but more durable board when I'm in the market for a surf style board.

04OUTBACK
07-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Red rocket is what I ride. Loveit. Rode a walker xxx this weekend. Once I got used to it it's fun!
Does not need much weight on front foot at all.

brain_rinse
07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Just tried out a Liquid Force Noserider. Yuck. Worst board I've ever ridden. It's unbearably slow and I had to stand at the very front of the board to even get the thing to "go." it's a handmade board so I was excited to try it but I was really happy to give it back. :)

wolfeman131
07-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Dude, it's called the nose rider. What else were you expecting?

brain_rinse
07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Dude, it's called the nose rider. What else were you expecting?
Hahah I guess the name should have tipped me off. I just can't imagine how someone would want a board like that.

wolfeman131
07-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Watch out for Liquid Force. The Doum skim is wicked and the TC skim is a ton of fun. The Hazen surf style board should be released soon and it looked incredible.

brain_rinse
07-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Oh I'm not writing off the whole brand, just this one board. I hope to try more of their stuff in the future.

ga-lsv05
07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
My wife rides a liquid force custom and she loves it. It has great pop but is kinda slow for my taste. Takes a lot of work to stay in the pocket

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast