PDA

View Full Version : Starting in Double Boots?

Waynes345
07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
My son switched from a RTP to double boots and is having trouble starting. I've always skiied with a toe plate and dragged my back foot starting so I can't give him any pointers. He is 6'2" and 175 and strong. Any pointers for skier or driver? Thanks.

kaneboats
07-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Tell him to stay in a crouch position till the ski's on top of the water. I've never understood how anyone could get up on a ski while dragging a foot behind them. All I can imagine is pulled groin muscles. (Leave Dusty's Mom out of this one).

zabooda
07-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I spent years in my younger days getting up dragging a foot and it is the only way when all I had access to were 70-85 hp outboards to get me up. As kane said, you gotta get in the crouch position and I mean knees all the way to the top the chest, the ski bottom facing the boat, ski tip out of the water at a 30 degree angle to the water and arms straight. Let the boat straighten you out and then stand up. Oh yea, get a good breath before you go as it may be a few seconds before you can get another one.

maxpower220
07-01-2012, 05:24 PM
I also learned behind a 35 hp outboard and had to drag a foot. Later, I got an inboard and really don't remember how I made the transition. Double boots had something to do with it. It is definately technique, being crouched and keeping the ski tip out of the water are the 2 big ones to start. I push forward to straighten my legs as soon as I feel the boat pulling me. A lot of power and throttle for the boat driver, not like boarding.

KSmith
07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Pretty much as has been said, BIG breath, crouched, tip out, and fight it until the boat gets enough speed to be able to stand up. My brother and I pretty much only did double boot slalom, yes we even had one of the fabled multi texture bottom Jobes. Dad's boat was 120 HP 4 banger merc I/O. The bubble of death was a common sight behing our boat ;-)

Edit: As hard as it was to deep water start in double boots, I found it easier than dragging a foot to get up (not hard to do) but trying to boot up once out of the water was a major pain for me.

ian ashton
07-01-2012, 07:52 PM
When I made the switch I left my back boot loose so I could raise my heel. Heel lift is the key when getting use to a boot vs. tow plate.

parrothd
07-02-2012, 01:51 PM
When I made the switch I left my back boot loose so I could raise my heel. Heel lift is the key when getting use to a boot vs. tow plate.

Best thing we ever bought....

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=13425

We use it all the time, just sit back and let the boat do everything, saves a lot of energy/effort getting up.. :)

Inliner
07-03-2012, 06:09 AM
I agree with Ian, initially leave the rear boot loose enough that the heel can move. Once he masters that he can gradually tighten it up and his skills will improve. I am not sure the line that parrothd suggested will work because I don't know where in the pull up he is having issues. The line suggested only works initially, as soon as the skier begins coming out of the water, the rope lifts off the ski and does nothing for the skier. I would recommend a few boom starts so he gets the feel of the pull up difference.

ian ashton
07-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Best thing we ever bought....

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=13425

We use it all the time, just sit back and let the boat do everything, saves a lot of energy/effort getting up.. :)

How does it disconnect? That thing scares me.

parrothd
07-03-2012, 10:11 AM
How does it disconnect? That thing scares me.

It works great, you do nothing, it comes off automatically when you stand up... :)

People that can deep water start seem to have the most issues with it, they either worry about the line not coming off, or try and take it off. Once they figure out you have to do nothing it's a breeze...

I have both feet in my boots (or toe plate), put ski between the ropes(yellow/blue, the large triangle part at front), get as small as I can, give the signal then take deep breath. We had a much less powerful boat last year, it would drag you forever.

The great thing is you can save starts you normally couldn't like full on side underwater, just lean back, put some pressure on your back foot and the rope/boat straighten everything out. Once you're ready, stand up and the rope slips off the tip..

The downside is it makes it too easy, you won't want to start without it and when you do you'll really miss it... :)

jmvotto
07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Tell him to stay in a crouch position till the ski's on top of the water.

knees to the chest and flatten the ski toward the stearn and don't try to fight the boat

iwaterskihard
07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
My son switched from a RTP to double boots and is having trouble starting. I've always skiied with a toe plate and dragged my back foot starting so I can't give him any pointers. He is 6'2" and 175 and strong. Any pointers for skier or driver? Thanks.

You don't say what foot forward he uses? Interesting that there is some good advice in what I have read on here. I'm NOT a fan of the rope aide that was posted.
Learning a two foot deep start is essentially another skill all on it's own. Knees bent to the chest is good advice as it doesn't create so much fight against the boat and allows one to get upright quicker.

If your son is a LFF skier have him set his ski in the water at an 11:00 position - if he is a RFF skier have him set his ski at a 1:00 position. The reason for this is even if the pull is away from the boat he will be able to maintain his balance against the pull of the boat. If the ski is pointed opposite of this he will be pulling against the boat in an unbalanced position and the boat will win EVERYTIME.

Good luck and I hope that offers you a wee bit of insight and help? Keep at it he will get it! :)

viking
07-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I spent years in my younger days getting up dragging a foot and it is the only way when all I had access to were 70-85 hp outboards to get me up. As kane said, you gotta get in the crouch position and I mean knees all the way to the top the chest, the ski bottom facing the boat, ski tip out of the water at a 30 degree angle to the water and arms straight. Let the boat straighten you out and then stand up. Oh yea, get a good breath before you go as it may be a few seconds before you can get another one.

Same here. Love that I have a boat powerful enough for deep water double boot starts these days. Especially since I'm a bit older now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

schuylski
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
knees to the chest and flatten the ski toward the stearn and don't try to fight the boat

Biggest thing that helps me is try to keep the ski as flat as possible. Like everyone said, crouched up, but also use your front foot to resist and don't jam down on your back foot- try to use it to keep the ski flatter in relation to the water. Otherwise you fight the boat and it always wins.... Having said that, when learning, once the boat starts to go it's chaos anyway and what happens happens haha.

zegm
07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
I have been teaching my 12 year old daughter how to get up this past weekend on a slalom (double boots) and one thing that I am doing incorrectly with her (and it might be because she is my 12 year old daughter) is not pull her up quickly enough. When I just snatch her out she does great, she doesn't have time to fall from one side to the other. I am not saying to yank his arms out but a nice quick pull.
Like some of the others on here I have never dragged a foot and kind of think that would be more difficult?

c.rix
07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
I finally made the switch last year from dragger to 2 boot im 6'3 265 so good gloves were a must, but I found its easier to almost act like your gonna sit on the tail point the tip at the boat to get the tail to almost touch my back side and don't try to stand up instantly its ok to almost sit there dragging with your butt on the tail longer than you think you need to also when I say giver i lean back so I don't get blasted out the front

on a vid my buddy took I was ridding his "skinny guy" ski and I thought it felt like forever to get up on it and actually was next to nothing 3 seconds probably