PDA

View Full Version : 00' Outback potential project?

Ford67ranger
07-01-2012, 07:33 AM
I have a line on a very affordable 2000 Outback and am debating whether it is worth my time as a project. I'm very mechanically inclined and could handle the work myself but this boat has a history...

Owned by a summer camp (where I worked)
Multiple drivers, 6-8 hours a day of hard driving, 8 weeks of the year
Interior is trashed or non-existant
Center and left windshield is missing (fell into lake)
Always stored outdoors or in water (currently parked under a tree)
Parked in 2008 (camp purchased new boat)

Sorry no pictures right now

My biggest worry is being able to find a windshield and windshield track. It looks very odd with just one side.

Thoughts? Is it worth my time?

maxpower220
07-01-2012, 08:00 AM
You must describe "Worth my time". If you want a fun project and have something to show for it in the end, then yes it will probably be worth it. If you are looking to repair it and sell for a profit, you may not think it is worth it. Without seeing it, I would not spend over $1000 on it if the trailer is good and there is a motor/trans in it. Funny how all of the little things start to add up quickly on a project like these.

Ford67ranger
07-01-2012, 08:10 AM
That's about what I was looking to spend on it. I want to fix it up and use it as a personal boat, since I can't outlay the cash for a newer boat all up front.

I was thinking about just stripping it down, getting it mechanically sound and working on aesthetics from there.

It does have a matching moomba trailer and the original 350 v8 in it.

kaneboats
07-01-2012, 11:03 AM
If the motor's OK, go for it! I had a 2000 Outback. Great boat!

zabooda
07-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Check out 98roos's modifications and see if restoration is right for you (no need to consult a doctor on this one).
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18230-98-Outback-Transom-repair-restoration

I would think getting replacement windshield parts would be difficult but I may be wrong. If the hull is in good shape and the engine is strong, you can get from point A to point B and perhaps while being towed. Who needs a windshield when the driver is the only one catching bugs in their teeth. Get a pair of side-car goggles for the driver.

motosno963
07-01-2012, 03:55 PM
if u can make it work and save money then buying a used complete 2000 outback then go for it..im guessing that motor has alot of hours on it too

DOCDRS
07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
I'd call your nearest dealer ans skiers choice to see if you can order a complete windshield. Don't even bother to get the 2 replacement parts. If you can then the rest is easy

maxpower220
07-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Do you know how many hours it has on it. I would not be worried about high hours, as most club/school boats get routine maintenance done. However, if you are pushing 1200-1500 hours and it has sat for 4 yrs, you may be into oversized rings/pistons in the not too distant future. A comppression test would let you know if that may be an issue.

I would try to total up a cost for interior, windshield, cost of the boat, and about $1000 of "extras" that you are going to shell out to get the boat running (barring any mechanical issues). As I see it, you are into a running boat for about $5000. This is my minimum estimate. Now, weigh that against another boat that is known to be in running condition.Seems like you could find an older inboard for $6-8000.