PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July Poll-- Boating Or No Way, Too Many Idiots, BBQ Only-- What plans?

kaneboats
06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Was wondering how many play it safe and how many will brave the onslaught of idiots. Vote 'em up and feel free to comment. Late next week I'll ask for how your plans turned out. Please be very safe and have fun either way(s)!

moombadaze
06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
may ride the bike out to the ramp and sit for a little while and watch the fun, then sit poolside the rest of the day with a cold beer in hand

jester
06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Right now I am at a 50/50 of not going out at all of getting out early and getting home early before everyone hits the lakes. Might get out early then change into my coast guard gear and do some safety checks to make the most of the day. So many options not enough of a day.

kaneboats
06-29-2012, 01:09 PM
may ride the bike out to the ramp and sit for a little while and watch the fun, then sit poolside the rest of the day with a cold beer in hand

Be sure to take the video camera just in case!

rdlangston13
06-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Ill be on the water but unfortunately not on the Moomba and little to no fun to be had. We are going to an on the water concert a week from today as soon as I get off this ship. Fisherman are out in full force today, seen some NICE offshore fishing rigs this morning.

jpetty3023
06-29-2012, 01:35 PM
No lake, too many fools out on the 4th. Catch the home town parade in the morning, BBQ in the afternoon, then city hosted fireworks show in the evening. Be out on the water early July 5th thou!!

Sent from my home phone..

ryan_8099
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Rope got ran over last year, so likely not until the traffic dies down.

bzubke1
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Not going out on the 4th, but gonna go out on the brazos river sunday then head back to lake granbury for fireworks. Next weekend gonna go out to possum kindgdom lake and catch the fireworks at hells gate.

Nobodyrides4Free
06-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Spending the 4th with family, Taking off rest of the week at the lake house, leaving thursday. Grand Lake, Ok till sunday. Friends coming with us for a long weekend.

Jet
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Holidays are for parking and drinking. Real wakeboarders dont board or ride on those days. "Didnt your mom tell you not to play in traffic!!"

motosno963
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
back in 2010 we went out on the bay and wakeboard all day then did some at night when the fireworks were going off..fun time..but i must tell you where we were there were few boats so it wasnt bad

bergermaister
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Maybe hit the lake for a few hours in the morning as the river is still a raging/churning mess. Was the same way last year but we went anyway for a few hours - a guy drowned literally a few hundred yards from us. Didn't hear about it until the news the next day. Turned out the guy was an off duty sheriff deputy, no alcohol involved. Just a mean, nasty current and cold water so this year we're saying "no thanks."

Spend the afternoon at a buddy's splashing in his pool, drinking all his beer, and turning his cul-de-sac into a war zone after dark. Then hightail it outta there before it's time to clean up. :p

Boonejeepin
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I am thinking that I might head out very early or not at all. Too many non skilled boaters for my taste.

I'd like to be off the water before the parties start.

Boonejeepin
06-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Maybe hit the lake for a few hours in the morning as the river is still a raging/churning mess. Was the same way last year but we went anyway for a few hours - a guy drowned literally a few hundred yards from us. Didn't hear about it until the news the next day. Turned out the guy was an off duty sheriff deputy, no alcohol involved. Just a mean, nasty current and cold water so this year we're saying "no thanks."

Spend the afternoon at a buddy's splashing in his pool, drinking all his beer, and turning his cul-de-sac into a war zone after dark. Then hightail it outta there before it's time to clean up. :p

What lake do you go to?

bergermaister
06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Probably the same as the maiden voyage - Lacamas up here in the Couv. Small lake, but that means fewer boats, no wind, warmer water (I'd guess it was mid-upper 60's). All depends on the weather though.

If the family is iffy on going you wanna meet up?

Boonejeepin
06-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Let me know.... I am always open to getting on the water. I am off Mon - Wed next week.

Any downsides to the lake? Seems like a good spot to me from your description.

bergermaister
06-29-2012, 06:50 PM
One small launch, then a 10 min no wake ride through a marked channel out to the lake. Not a big deal. One other launch with no dock at all and a rocky beach I avoid. No real downside I guess. I was worried about getting an expensive reminder that there's a sound ordinance that I sort of forgot about. Got the stinkeye look from a few homeowners sitting out on their little private dock that I thought for sure were going to turn me in.

kaneboats
07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Looks like "No Way, too many idiots" won out by a slim margin. I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday. Next year the 4th is on a Thursday. Should make for an interesting long weekend.

moombadaze
07-05-2012, 10:43 AM
We rode our bikes down to the park and ramp about 1pm, parking lot was overstuffed with trailers, park was jammed, waverunners everywhere zipping around, and for some strange reason most of the boats out were direct drive closed bow ski boats--very strange for our lake, and a couple bay boats pulling tubes. So glad we just hung poolside and bbq'd some burgers and dogs and spend the day in the swimming.

jester
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
My Mom did tell me not to play in traffic but we watched her cross a 6 lane street jumping over barriers on both sides.

On a plus note I hit the both ramp all 4 times with no traffic at the ramps. I had some good Karma. Two lakes in a day. First lake was for wakeboarding, second was for fireworks. Should have taken today off work.

jmvotto
07-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Didnt even uncover the boat on the 4th. Swam at the lake with friends and family. Watched fireworks from our dock. Beer fridge 20 ft away.

Life is good.

viking
07-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Camping/boating for 5 days up to the fourth and then hightailed it out of there before the idiot parade showed up. Missed the circus and in bed by 10:30 safe and sound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BensonWdby
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
We have 3 lakes within 15 miles to choose from and have managed to find good water every morning and evening since last Thursday. Going on 8th straight day right now.

jmb
07-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Stayed home. Didn't even try. Had gout anyways

saskyrider
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
haha up here of course our big shindig was last weekend... the weather was threatening all day long but never did materialize into anything.... So i went to the beer gardens and drank to much whisky and bought a floating island in the silent auction that i really don't need (insert face palm here) We have a fundraiser every year to help maintain the pool ( at a lake?? i know i know) that all the kids take swimming lessons in. Its what keeps the regional park going.. so i felt good about donating on the whisky and tube,,, lol

geoff

eseebeck
07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
sit and watch, maybe an after hours or early morning slow ride. we have the 11 to 7:30 law on our lake. used to think it was a bummer, but as I've aged, i enjoy the quiet time too.