PDA

View Full Version : 100 Hour service @dealership

jpetty3023
06-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Fixin to have the 100 hour service done (@113 now) at the dealership. Can one of my mechanically inclined brothers give me a run down of what all gets done at dealership? I know the oil, v-drive, fuel filter, and safety check stuff but that's what gets done at 50 hour service and the 100 costs double.

Anything I need to look for and make sure gets done. I've searched but not really coming up with a whole lot

KSmith
06-28-2012, 12:27 PM
What does the 100 hr service cost? I am closing in on 90 hours and will need to be thinking about this soon. I sent the Atl Marine service an email asking but Scott has chosen to ignore me :-(

jpetty3023
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
330.00 plus parts. My guy said parts run 70-90 so looking at 400.00 and some change out the door

Sent from my home phone..

KSmith
06-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks Jason, a little bit less than what I was guessing (around 450+ was my guess).

Greg C.
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. I have had to show my arse more than once just to get a call back.

What does the 100 hr service cost? I am closing in on 90 hours and will need to be thinking about this soon. I sent the Atl Marine service an email asking but Scott has chosen to ignore me :-(

jpetty3023
06-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks Jason, a little bit less than what I was guessing (around 450+ was my guess).

See I was thinking it would be more along the lines of the 50 hour at like 248 or so. Can anyone chime in to what all gets done. Alignment, steering lubrication, any of those type things included

yz 2smoke
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM

My boat is at Atlanta Marine now; it has 102 hrs on it. I was quoted $600- $900 depending on what I wanted done. I miss under stood several times on what it was going to cost so I'm not going to try and say what exactly was getting done for those prices. I know I couldn’t afford that so I just had them change the vdrive, Trans, and oil and that will cost me $275.

yz 2smoke
06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. I have had to show my arse more than once just to get a call back.

He was probably on the phone with my arse trying to explain what was getting done for the price of my arm and leg. He did call me back the same day if I left a message.

E4NASH
06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
...I just had them change the vdrive, Trans, and oil and that will cost me $275.

Yep, that's what I just paid for my 50 hour over there. I'll be doing my fluid changes on my own going forward. Looking at the manual there really isn't anything different between the 50 and 100 hour service. Only things added are Clean flame arrestor, replace impeller, and check engine to propeller shaft alignment. The impeller change and cleaning the arrestor should be pretty easy and I would think if you don't have any vibration or anything like that your alignment should be fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E4NASH
06-28-2012, 03:48 PM

I called over their yesterday about a part inquiry and left a message. Haven't heard back yet. I know they are CRAZY busy right now. Shoot Scott an e-mail he may get to that faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I do all my own fluid changes and just take the boat into the dealer for the alignment once a year. Way cheaper.

chawk610
06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
I am at 85 hr now... so I will be looking at this soon. So, they change the oil, impellar, and what else?

KSmith
06-28-2012, 05:28 PM
That being the case, and I'll be damned if I'm putting out a grand for 100 service, I'll take it in for alignment but the rest I can do. I think.

wolfeman131
06-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I sent the Atl Marine service an email asking but Scott has chosen to ignore me :-(

need me to get the dog back out?

wolfeman131
06-28-2012, 07:02 PM
That being the case, and I'll be damned if I'm putting out a grand for 100 service, I'll take it in for alignment but the rest I can do. I think.

You can also check the alignment yourself. We did it on kaneboat's ride last summer after replacing the shaft. I once bitched about the labor costs and the owner, Kurt, walked me thru what they do/did. I understood it better after he showed me the time it takes to get to the component being serviced (i.e. impeller) and then the time it takes for them to test and insure the boat is in 100% running order. I think those of us that do our own service forget that part when talking about the amount of time it takes to do maintenance.

jpetty3023
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
You could have the dog come back out and have him bring us a list of items they service!

Guess my biggest question is this. They check the alignment but if the alignment is off is is aligned under the 100 hour service or is this going to be an up charge?

Do they check all the ballast systems?

Timers adjusted if off?

I KNOW all the above will be done if I say donut and I'll pay but these seem to me like items that would be covered/fixed in the cost of the 100 hour service

KSmith
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
You can also check the alignment yourself. We did it on kaneboat's ride last summer after replacing the shaft. I once bitched about the labor costs and the owner, Kurt, walked me thru what they do/did. I understood it better after he showed me the time it takes to get to the component being serviced (i.e. impeller) and then the time it takes for them to test and insure the boat is in 100% running order. I think those of us that do our own service forget that part when talking about the amount of time it takes to do maintenance.

Yes I understand that but if it is something I can do and don't mind doing, I'll do it. Now if it is something I cannot do, or I don't want to do, I have no qualms paying for the service.

I spent untold hours painting my homes, families homes, friends homes, but the time has come in my life doing it myself just ain't worth it. Never again will I paint a house. So let it be written, so let it be done. And at times I feel the same way about other maintenance tasks and will pay for the service. My lawn is fast becoming a maintenance task I no longer care to perform... Anyway, I'll pay when I have to or want to and be happy doing so. I'm just not paying those prices, as justified as they are, to change fluids. Yet. Maybe further down the road I might ;-)

jpetty3023
06-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Yes I understand that but if it is something I can do and don't mind doing, I'll do it. Now if it is something I cannot do, or I don't want to do, I have no qualms paying for the service.

I spent untold hours painting my homes, families homes, friends homes, but the time has come in my life doing it myself just ain't worth it. Never again will I paint a house. So let it be written, so let it be done. And at times I feel the same way about other maintenance tasks and will pay for the service. My lawn is fast becoming a maintenance task I no longer care to perform... Anyway, I'll pay when I have to or want to and be happy doing so. I'm just not paying those prices, as justified as they are, to change fluids. Yet. Maybe further down the road I might ;-)

No worries brotha, I got a dude for all that. I'm with ya!!

WaterBullDawg1980
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
All fluid changes I do myself. Also do impeller replacements every season. All very simple stuff. Also replaced an alternator and starter.

Saved thousands of dollars doing these things myself over the years. That being said I am employing a lawn guy BC I regret to say that my lawn is sub par at best and I have given up. Some things I just hate doing and keeping up with a lawn is one of them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wolfeman131
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Anyway, I'll pay when I have to or want to and be happy doing so.

This is my exact position on winterization. I'm with ya all the way.

chawk610
06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
This is gonna become an I hate lawn work thread... I agree totally, since we got into boating about 4 years ago, the lawn has suffered greatly. I can't stomach wasting 2 hours on a Saturday when we could be floating.

jpetty3023
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Ouch! So got the 100 hour done today plus impeller change and my bill was 648.00. That with a 10% off labor coupon. New sign in shop area says labor rate is 110.00 and hour now, charged for 4.5 hours. I'm gonna have to make friends with a mechanically inclined dude soon.

DOCDRS
07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Too bad you didn't check your hour meter before the service and after to see how long the boat was run for?

jpetty3023
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Don't know what the hour meter would say but my boat was only at dealership for 2.5 hours!!

DOCDRS
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Must have had 2 guys working on it.

jmb
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Takes 15 minutes to change out an impeller. I've done it on the water. Keep a spare in the boat. They probably charged an hour

jpetty3023
07-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Takes 15 minutes to change out an impeller. I've done it on the water. Keep a spare in the boat. They probably charged an hour

Charged 1.5 hours labor for impeller!! 39.00 for impeller it self

deerfield
07-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Charged 1.5 hours labor for impeller!!

That's just plain wrong. JMB is right. Takes no more than 15 minutes.

jpetty3023
07-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah can't blame no one but myself thou since there's a ton of threads on here and I choose not to DIY. My bad but guess what, won't happen again!!

wolfeman131
07-06-2012, 11:41 PM
That's just plain wrong. JMB is right. Takes no more than 15 minutes.

I don't disagree that it seems extreme, but the TOTAL job does not take just 15 mins. You're on the clock as soon as they hook on to your trailer, then they have to get the boat in the service bay, get the needed parts, break it down to access the impeller, pull out the old, put in the new and then the most important part: hook it to a fake a lake and test it to ensure everything is working properly. If so, it gets pulled out of the service bay and unhooked and then you're off the clock.

I complained to Atlanta Marine after reading a similar post a few years back. The owner invited me to the dealership to see firsthand the care they take when servicing a customer's boat. I understood why it takes time to do the job right.

jpetty3023
07-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Drop off to pick up was less that 2.5 hours thou so to charge for 4.5 is a little silly but I cant complain to much thou cause they take care of me by doing an In and Out service. Each time I go in for service I leave with my boat the same day. It made me a little sick at first when I saw the bill, really just posted the dollar amount cause some folks here were asking what the average cost is. So.....wait I'm about to be sick again!

Clamcakes
07-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I found this Moomba 2009 service interval from the owners manual

chawk610
07-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Dallas Ski posts exactly what they do at 100hr... it looks like a lot of stuff I don't want to do. They said about 500.00 for a DD. I have no problems with that as I feel the service records will help sell the boat... or increase trade-in value.

bergermaister
07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Drop off to pick up was less that 2.5 hours thou so to charge for 4.5 is a little silly

I've always wondered if it is "man" hours. So if they have 2 guys cranking away on the boat doing different things it would make sense to get it back twice as fast but billed at the full rate.

jpetty3023
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
I found this Moomba 2009 service interval from the owners manual

Interesting!! If the impeller is included in the 100 hour service why would that be a separate labor charge. Should be included in the 100 hour service charge?

Cigars n scotch
07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
So I am in this boat now, no pun intended. I'm at 98 hrs right now and last weekend I noticed an odd ticking sound around the area of my belts/pulley where the raw water pump is. My dealer is a good 2 hrs away, so I called to get some info on what the service entailed and to get a price. Man what a freaking racket.

$530 quote for this:
Transmission oil change
vdrive oil change
Oil and filter change
Fuel filter change and separator if I have one
Check over the motor

I can perform all of this myself. The problem I have is that noise and I'd really like to get the boat looked over fully. I might start with my dad taking a look since he is more mechanical than I to see if he can pinpoint anything.

That's a lot of cash for what seems to me to be a simple service.

squeeg333
07-25-2012, 01:35 PM
That's what is so funny to me. All these oil/fluid changes, filter swaps, flame arrestor cleaning, etc - it's all so easy, and can be done in a good few hours. I like to think it gives me much more knowledge of my boat engine than if I were to pay someone for it. I think doing it all myself will help me hear those weird noises, or notice leaks, and try to touble shoot. I think it's a lot harder for someone to do any trouble shooting when they don't know much if any about their engine.

I get the 'not enough time' or 'would just rather pay to have it done', I get the guys who say that, but for me, I like my money a lot better sitting in my pocket or the bank than sitting in the dealer's pocket.

wolfeman131
07-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Not me. I like having a healthy dealer nearby for those things I can't fix. I see it as paying it forward, a bit. Also, that price isn't too bad when you consider the shop rate is probably around $100, or better. Boats are expensive toys and, as they say, "you gotta pay to play."

chawk610
07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
If I am looking to buy a boat... Show me the maint. records. I just had my 100 hr service and do not regret at all! I prolly could have done a lot of the stuff my self, but my sweat is pretty $$$ these days! :)

squeeg333
07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Fair enough, and there's something to be said for getting to know your dealer/mechanic. Being on good terms with those people is probably the best thing a guy could ever do. My closest dealer is about 7 hours away. There's some good wrenches around here, from what I've heard, but I myself prefer to do the majority of the maintenance.

I always keep track of everything I do, dates, boat hours, what was done, fluids types/brands etc, so I have my maintenance records intact even though I don't hit a dealer for the work.

jpetty3023
07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
110.00 to be exact wolfey!!

Cigars n scotch
07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
To each his own. If you have a dealer close and you want to be chummy with them or get your boat maintenance by them then that's great, but for those of us who don't have a dealer close by and won't be stopping in for a chat here and there it's a different story. All that maintenance will cost me $150 and a few hours of my time. Dealer option would cost me $530 + gas plus an entire day for a 2+ hr tow (which last time I did it to have a thermostat replaced took me 4.5 hrs due to traffic). Plus they only do service on weekdays so I'd have to waste one of my pto days. No thanks.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

myster
07-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Can you say RIP OFF!!! Everything they are gonna check or do, you can easily do yourself!! I brought my boat back to the Dealer once and learned my lesson!!! I've learned more off this site and likely now know more than the friggin dealer anyway, and if u have a question just ask the awesome people here on this site and you will usually get an answer quickly!!

eseebeck
07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
i agree, i now do all my own main. if i have an issue i call around to get ideas and start with the most obvious or least expensive. 100 hours is nothing. I comute 100 hours to work in my car in a little over a month and i don't take my car for service once a month. and the boat is a whole lot simpler and less components than a car.

at 100 hours, change the oil change the tranny oil, with my new found issue, i'd change the fuel filter. lube anything that is lubable. steering components and rudder components.

and most importantly...... WASH AND WAX and clean interior. good looking boats are just cooler than dirty ones.

89PROSTAR
07-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I was told that the 20hr and 100hr had to be done by the dealer for warranty purposes. I typically do my own work as well but I paid the $$$ to have the dealer do it. I hope I didn't throw away money.

cab13367
07-27-2012, 06:14 PM
The last time my boat was at a dealer was when I drove it off the lot after buying it new. I'm at 250 hours and have done all my own maintenance and have had no issues whatsoever. And I have a great dealer about 20 minutes away (or so I'm told).

DOCDRS
07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I was told that the 20hr and 100hr had to be done by the dealer for warranty purposes. I typically do my own work as well but I paid the $$$ to have the dealer do it. I hope I didn't throw away money.
I would ask to see this in the warranty. If your motor fries because there is no oil in it it does not matter whether or not you had a 10,20 or 100hr service done. You are responsible for maintaining your fluids unless you have a written agreement with your service agent

rdlangston13
07-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Drop off to pick up was less that 2.5 hours thou so to charge for 4.5 is a little silly but I cant complain to much thou cause they take care of me by doing an In and Out service. Each time I go in for service I leave with my boat the same day. It made me a little sick at first when I saw the bill, really just posted the dollar amount cause some folks here were asking what the average cost is. So.....wait I'm about to be sick again!

Everyone needs to understand how service technicians get paid. Every job done as far as vehicle repair and I am sure boat repairs too has a certain time associated with it. Technicians do not get paid by the hour, they get paid by the flat rate hour.

For instance in the flat rate manual a Tire Rotation and Balance pays 1 hour. If you can hurry and complete this task in 30 mins you still get paid for an hour. Same as if you drag ass and complete is in 1.5 hours, you still only get an hour.

This system is good for the customer, the tech, and dealer for multiple reasons. First the customer, by having a predetermined time for labor depending on the job it makes repair prices predictable. It also gets your vehicle back to you faster because the tech working on it wants to get it done to move onto another job, so it save you time. And further more, if you paid by the hour for the actual amount of time spent on the vehicle the tech may just take his time and work very slowly and you could end up paying much more for his laziness.

This system is also good for the tech by allowing him to earn extra money. In a normal 8 hour work day, if the tech is a hard worker and skilled at what he does he can flag 12 or more hours. This is more money in his pocket. Techs do not get paid for comebacks if they messed up a fix so not doing quality work take away time from the tech where he could be making money.

And finally it is good for the dealer since they do not really have to pay techs who do not work. The tech decides their pay by how productive they are and giving the techs the chance to work done quickly allows the dealer to get more service done on more vehicles.

So really everyone wins. So if you receive and invoice for 8 hours but your vehicle was only in the shop for 5, think of the extra three hours as a convenience charge.

jpetty3023
07-27-2012, 09:58 PM
So really everyone wins. So if you receive and invoice for 8 hours but your vehicle was only in the shop for 5, think of the extra three hours as a convenience charge.

330.00 is a huge convenience charge David and not really fair to the consumer who pays their bills. This probably being the main reason folks here who are mechanically inclined do their own service and don't give the service department a dime. Now that seems like a smart business decision-:)

rdlangston13
07-27-2012, 10:04 PM
330.00 is a huge convenience charge David and not really fair to the consumer who pays their bills. This probably being the main reason folks here who are mechanically inclined do their own service and don't give the service department a dime. Now that seems like a smart business decision-:)

yes but that technician invested alot of time in the form of experience and money in the form of GOOD tools to do that job in fast amount of time so he could make an extra buck. that's another thing people dont realize, service techs typically have to buy all their own tools which can be upwards of 30,000 bucks. I know i have a very low end Snap On tool box and it ran me 2,100 bucks, and that is only because I got a discount with UTI. It is listed for 3,600.

the flat rate times are based of using normal hand tools, these guys invest heavily in air and electric tooks to help get the job done faster. If you don't want to pay it then don't go to the dealer :-)

I am not saying its cheap, cause its not. I do most all my own maintenance too but I understand why it is the way it is. That tech wants to feed his family too.

jpetty3023
07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Like I said in an earlier post I can't (and don't) complain to much. It is what it is and I make enough money to pay those techs to feed their families. Don't have the time or energy at my age and lifestyle to learn how to do the service the right way and in a way that will void my warranty or cause more expensive issues down the road

DOCDRS
07-28-2012, 12:36 AM
I believe it is economics 101. Supply and Demand. They supply a service then demand payment. If it becomes unreasonable then you will find alternate sourcing. If they are busy they will increase rates. To some it may seem unreasonable while to others a bargain. Its a matter of whether you can find a better source...yourself or another dealer.
For me its all a matter of time, I have the money to pay what ever they charge but its the time that is the big issue. My time is worth considerably more than 100/hour so when it takes 6 hours in time just to get the boat there and back,there and back( 4 trips at 1.5 hrs loading and unloading the boat on and off trailer) not to mention I hope they do it right and I have yet to see certain dealers ever guarantee a service. I am anal about my boat as I want it running perfect all the time, but even I miss stuff (and so did a dealer who I really trust but this was a tricky situation).
If you are to do it yourself you better follow the checklists , print them off and check off every item. The dealers should give you a copy of this list showing everything they did . Not just "performed 100hr service" $800. That is a load of crap. Bill Gates could care less about the list but you better believe the guy who saved every dime to get that new moomba wants to know everything that was done on his baby. If they truly cared they would do this and I take my hat off to the dealers who do. As a consumer you should insist on it...Its their JOB and they should take pride in it. The guys on here defending the dealers have been serviced and explained everything that was done. When it is itemized it is very easy to explain the fee. You really have no basis to complain about the costs. Yes we can do it for considerable less money and less time.....for me anything I do in less than 6 hours saves me time.....but you will have to buy a few tools and get good ones as they will last a life time.
Unfortunately a boat is not a car and the captain has responsibilities to get everyone home safe and that means knowing a basic knowledge of the vessels operation. Being on this forum for numerous years I am amused at all the spring time experiences captains have. All due to not just doing a spring initial pre voyage inspection of the bilge and motor area. Read your manual ......there is a wealth of info in there ...... poll time