PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Surging

hgvandy
06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I have tried reading everything I can find on my issues regarding perfect pass not holding speed. I have done servo tests and reset system and everything else on the perfect pass website. Also, my cable is not caught on the cover and everything seems to move fine. I have also emailed them and they think it could need a new throttle return spring. I am not sure where to get one or how to install it. I have the Wakeboard pro edition 6.5ng. I have also upgraded to the Nautic Laugic gps unit and it surges with paddle wheel and gps. I have also changed the kdw and nn settings but it can not hold a consistent speed. It seems to react late and this is causing it to speed up too much and then slow down too much. Any help with the return spring or any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

deepcove
06-27-2012, 11:45 PM
From what I have witnessed in friends boats surging is caused by one of 2 things: the cable is not moving freely ( which you have said is not the case) or to sharp of an arc in the cable.

hgvandy
06-28-2012, 08:12 AM
I will check again today. I will try and snap a couple of pics, but the cable makes a nice slow arch and I don't see any points where it is catching. I called a local moomba dealer and they said they don't really work on Perfectpass. They would charge me $100 an hour to test it, but could not guarantee anything. If I find out what is wrong, I will definitely post my results.

Nobodyrides4Free
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
This is what fixed mine!

I had the same issue with my 02. Tried the to re-calibrate, did not work. First maually unwind the servo, then rewind it. The manual tells you which direction it should wind. You can have some one watch it when you turn the key on. Make sure it tightens to where cable is tight. If it does try pulling see what it does.

It didnt help mine so I checked the linkage at carb while some one else drove the boat. Found I had slack in throttle cable. Also the throttle cable would sag at the front of engine compartment in idle and go tight on accelaration. It actually raised ad lowered. Took a cable tie and secured it to closest bracket. Next check where the cable meets the carb, make sure there is no slop where the adjusting bolts are. I had to tighten mine a bit. I believe that after age and wear that the servo cable stretches causing slack and this causes throttle cable to raise and lower. I have not had any issues since then.
It sucks trying to figure it out, I know been there! Good luck, let me know if it helped.

hgvandy
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but where was the slack exactly? Was everything you did in the engine compartment? The only cable I have been watching is the one from the servo to the Brass L bracket. I'm about to head back out to the boat (1 hour drive) and would love to figure it out. Great post and ideas. I'm looking forward to trying this. Thanks for your help.

Nobodyrides4Free
06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes everything was in the engine compartment. Look where the cable goes through the carburator bracket. There is a nut on both sides of it. I had to loosen the nuts and then take some slop out of the cable, this was causing the cable to sag and raise. Make sure the cable is taunt. After you do that, make sure to recalibrate it just to make sure your good. Let me know if it works for you.
Oh yea. the cable at the front that I spoke about raising and lowering, to the front of engine compartment. This cable goes towards the back seat, Make sure its secure. Zip tie it to the closest bracket. This helped also.

ga-lsv05
06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Mine surges at surf speeds with full ballast. Just started controlling it manually. I've tried everything imaginable to fix.this issue

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

hgvandy
06-30-2012, 12:28 AM
I won't be able to test it this week, but I will get out next weekend. I did get out to my boat yesterday before leaving town and made the changes you talked about. I can't wait to try it and I will let you know if it works. Thanks for all the help.

wolfeman131
06-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Mine surges at surf speeds with full ballast. Just started controlling it manually. I've tried everything imaginable to fix.this issue

Including buying a 242?

lsgagnon
07-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I've got the stargazer, and I must always restart the engine. If not the the clock go from 8:00 pm to time of the day to 8:00, impossible to use the PP (when in use the speed will go from 20 mph to 4 mph to 20, so PP always try to correct it). I Stop the engine, restart and only TOD display and every thing work well. Call dealer to know what to do, he resent a new black box, change it, nothing change on the PP. I live with it now.

brenpire
07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Hgvandy, please let us know if/when/how you resolve the problem. I have the exact same problem with Wakeboard mode on my 06 LSV. So far I have tried everything that you have to fix it with no luck. I have also spoken to PP a few times on the phone and had the dealer look at it. Nothing has worked so far.

I do find that PP works well RPM mode. Although it would be nice if it worked well i n all modes.

hgvandy
07-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Hgvandy, please let us know if/when/how you resolve the problem. I have the exact same problem with Wakeboard mode on my 06 LSV. So far I have tried everything that you have to fix it with no luck. I have also spoken to PP a few times on the phone and had the dealer look at it. Nothing has worked so far.

I do find that PP works well RPM mode. Although it would be nice if it worked well i n all modes.

I will definitely let you know. I tinkered with it the other day, but still haven't had time to get it on the water. I found that my throttle cable was jammed and did not have a lot of room by the transmission when I lifted the back seat. I moved it so that it can move freely. I will also buy a spring to help with the throttle return spring, but I don't think this is the issue. I will try it before and after putting on the spring so I will know what was causing the problem. We will take it out Saturday, finally.

dbishop
07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
My '06 Outback V surges a little; I'll check the cables but I think I need to get the settings right (kdw & nn). Anybody want to share what settings work for them? Or: please tell me your method of dialing it in -- do I try to get the KDW right then adjust the NN, or vice versa? Get it right w/ nobody wakeboarding then tweak after pulling someone?

Outback book says: "This should be set at 80 for unweighted boats and 180 for weighted boats. [...] The NN should be set at 180 for an unweighted boat and 80 for a weighted boat."

Perfect Pass book says: "KDW (Throttle Pull Rate) The higher the value, the more aggressive the control. Heavy boats may need higher values. Factory setting is about 80. Normal range is 80 – 200. NN (Paddle wheel Filter Factor) – NN is set at about 120. The higher the value the more filtering is done. If you feel you boat is surging a little too much, raise value by 20 or 30. If you feel the speed is slowly drifting around too much, try a lower value to tighten control."

hgvandy
07-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Okay, I had a chance to play some more this weekend. There was throttle cable pushed down near the transmission that I freed up and it helped considerably with the surging. I have been playing with my settings and settled on 160 for kdw and 120 for NN. Everything works fine unless I drop below 20 mph for the kids on my pp setting. It goes back to surging back and forth by 1-2 mph at the lower speeds. My pp display also stopped showing anything for a couple hours, but pp still worked. It then began showing again. I checked all my connections by unplugging them, cleaning and replugging and it still did not work. Came in for lunch and when we returned, it worked again.
The spring I bought did not fit to see if this would help with the return spring. There was some progress made, but still have more work to do. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

cfdrews12
07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
So Vandy, good riding with you this weekend. Reading your thread reminded me that you don't have your throttle cable zip tied. When we were looking at your engine and doing the head scratching, I noticed that the throttle cable did have lots of play in it when engaging and revving. I think we ought to throw a zip tie on it to limit movement and see if we get better results on the surging now you've got your settings dialed in.

Nobodyrides4Free
07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
As I mentioned earlier...
Found I had slack in throttle cable. Also the throttle cable would sag at the front of engine compartment in idle and go tight on accelaration. It actually raised and lowered. Took a cable tie and secured it to closest bracket.
Good catch... MAke sure its secure.

ga-lsv05
07-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Including buying a 242?

Lol checked out that option too.