PDA

View Full Version : Big Crazy Leak

KrazyTrane
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Just put the boat (2006 moomba mobius lsv) in for the season (live in WI). checked water jacket plugs, big hose, fat sack hoses everything ready. Drop it in the water, got 100 yds (just above idle) and notice the front drivers side was oozing water. pulled stuff open to see if I could see it. nothing. figured better get back to the lift so I am not the idiot who sank his boat on the lake. so took off. more water came. when I turned right it the water would blast trhought the little rubber piece that hides the point where the fibreglass and the carpet meets. then I felt some hit my feet and it was actually hot. Never dealt with a v-drive mechanically in my life --- is this just a packing thing? Any other ideas?

04OUTBACK
06-25-2012, 07:13 PM
with no more info, DO you have a heater? hot water that far up in the boat should only be coming from heater core?

WaterBullDawg1980
06-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Another vote for the heater. I can't imagine how hot engine water could get that far up towards the bow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jmvotto
06-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Got to be the heater. You should have two shut off valves on the engine block itself or near the block to isolate the heater core.

Should be some good pics in this thread of the shutoffs

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10840-Heater-Install-in-2006-LSV&highlight=Heater+install

KSmith
06-26-2012, 07:10 AM
If you aren't over heating the engine and the bilge can keep up maybe a hot foot bath would feel nice after a long session ;-)

KrazyTrane
06-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Thanks everyone, for some reason the heater did not come to mind. I bypassed the heater with a hose running from the input to the out. Anyone know what could be wrong in that box that makes it gush water? Seems strange to me, but then again, I have never messed around with the thing.

DOCDRS
06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
sounds like the heater was not winterized and the core has probably cracked. fix....need new core

jmvotto
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
not properly winterized and you probably have a craked heater core... have to pull and check it out or have the dealer replace it $$$$$ or call heater craft

http://www.heatercraft.com/marine-parts/

dusty2221
06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
My core cracked once before. You can get a replacement core only from Ski-Dim and its significantly cheaper than replacing the entire unit

KSmith
06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
This is not a core failure, it is an opportunity to install a better core and while you are at it plumb in a spigot so you have the hot water option to soak your feet in... Ahhhhhhh