PDA

View Full Version : ACME 1847 Vs. Lake Ouachita 'Rock'bar..Guess who wins

Clamcakes
06-25-2012, 06:23 PM
So was at Lake Ouachita for a 4 day houseboat trip starting last Friday. On Saturday and ran into an unmarked 'rock'bar at about 20MPH. My 3 month old 1847 is toast.

wolfeman131
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
WOW! I can't believe that your strut & skegs are still on the boat. I would count myself lucky, if I were you. I think you will need to pull that prop & check the shaft to see if it got bent, too.

dusty2221
06-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Holy cow! Wonder if Kg knows where that bar is.

motosno963
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
i would be calling someone at the town or state and making a complaint about an unmarked rock bar..and the shaft looks bent to me..and i dont know if its me or does that mount that holds the shaft look bent..i only ask cause it looks like theres some sealent missing and a space there...ohh and not to put sult on the wound but gel coat damage too?

Boonejeepin
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Sorry! It does look like the strut is bent from the photos.

Been there, done that! 8 hrs on the boat - submerged log.

I was lucky enough to avoid gel coat damage.

moombadaze
06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
OUCH, man that sucks.

Gotta agree that shaft looks a little to far to port and it looks like the strutt is pulled away from the hull

KG's Supra24
06-25-2012, 08:18 PM
When and where?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jpetty3023
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Those pics brought chills to my spine sir. No bueno No bueno

Sent from my home phone..

tnbrooks01
06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I feel ya! Im still waiting to get ours out of the shop where its been since Memorial day. SUCKS!!!.

rdlangston13
06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Holy moly! Your shaft and a strut are WAY bent! This really sucks! Call in the insurance company and get it fixed for the moomba jam!

motosno963
06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
dont forget to take the prop off and put it on youll wall..i did that to my motorcycle fairings when i crashed..funny story to tell..you should do the same

Clamcakes
06-26-2012, 09:57 AM
The strut is definitely bent and there was some gelcoat damage. When we hit, it made the most awful noise and brought us to a complete stop and killed the engine. I thought the whole bottom of the boat was ripped off. Threw on a mask and dove under and saw the rudder was still there and the prop was shredded to hell. Looking at the rudder, there some scrapes about an inch to inch half from the bottom of it so I must have just grazed it real good.

I was only able to make left turns since the strut was knocked off center. Luckily we weren't that far from the houseboat and was able to limp back. If you're familiar with Ouachita you should be able to see from my map where I hit. The X marks the approximate area we hit. The circle is where we were going to scope out a spot to park the houseboat on Saturday.

Texas lakes are mostly mud, so if i would have hit the same sandbar, nothing major probably wouldn't have happened. Ouachita is straight up rocky but probably the most beautful lake I've been on and had the most flat water the whole weekend for wakeboarding. We were only able to board late Friday afternoon and were looking forward to alot of boarding the whole weekend til that happened with the 'rock'bar.

About to leave to go drop the boat off at Dallas Ski Boats. I know at least 450 for another 1847. I'm hoping the shaft isnt bent but that the strut is bent only. The gelcoat damage isnt deep and can wait til winter to fix. I'll update the what the final damage is going to be.

KG's Supra24
06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Man, that def sucks.

Ya'll took the houseboat from Harbor all the way over there? That's a decent cruise. I'm not real familiar with that area of the lake. We do most of our riding back where you left the Marina. Wish I had known you were busted up, I'd have given you a couple pulls. We were out Saturday and Sunday.

Clamcakes
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
The battle plan was to stay in a different cove every night. Before we left Mountain Harbor, one of the Dreamchaser guys told us to head towards Hotel Island, thats where we could do some good scuba diving. Friday night we stayed on Hotel Island in probably the best cove on the lake. (see the included map and you probably know the cove)
We ended up using about 90 gallons between boat/generator gas for 3 1/2 days. Gas was pretty steep at the marina, 4.50 a gallon. Let me add this KG, you are one lucky man to have access to such a badazz lake as Ouachita. I've never seen so much smooth water in my life!! Even on Saturday. Anybody that lives in north texas knows you never see and smooth water unless you goto the lake during the week. On weekends, forget about it.

KG's Supra24
06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
90 gallons isn't too bad. I honestly thought you would have used more than that. Harbor is way high on the gas prices. Hope you had a good time aside from the boat damage. Bummer I didn't know ya'll were beat up. We were putting in at Crystal this weekend too, right there at Hotel Island.

mmandley
06-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Dam clam,

Well to make your bad event worse, you can expect 5 to 10K in repairs. not only are you going to replace the hardware you can see, and gell coat damage, you might have trashed your V drive unit as well. Your lucky you if you didnt damage it. Abrupt groundings that kill an Engine running, sends that force threw the transmission and since we use a V drive unit it took a considerable amount of that stopping shock.

Make sure when they estimate it for your insurance there is work scheduled, or a clause in there to check the V drive once all the visable repairs are done.

rdlangston13
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I would definitely be going through the insurance company for this. its going to be high

Clamcakes
06-26-2012, 02:45 PM
KG..we had a great time. Wished we could have done some more boarding though. Was trying to put the 'dollar signs' that I was about to spend to the back of mind but kept thinking about it. I'm just glad nobody was hurt. Earlier that morning I had a few kids sitting up in the bow, if I would have hit with them up there, they definitely would have been thrown out. My wife and her friend were sitting there when we hit and my buddy was kneeling on the observer seat. He hit his chest on the window.

Just got back from Dallas Skiboats and there are some flex cracks around the rudder and strut. While I was in there, Brandon (shop mgr) showed me a Mastercraft that jumped a breaker made of rocks out at Lake Ray Hubbard. The bottom of the boat was trashed, massive fiberglass damage, ripped up shaft, prop. And the engine has to be replaced.

wolfeman131
06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm just glad nobody was hurt.

AGREE!

As bad as it is having your boat tore up, it could have easily been much, much worse.

Clamcakes
07-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Update from insurance. $6910 to repair. Need a new driveshaft, strut, rudder and prop. The rudder actually looked fine but the shop said it needs to be replaced. Found out the stock prop is around $650. Paid $450 for the ACME 1847 which is 10 times better than the stock POS.

The parts totalled up to about 1300. The rest is gelcoat and fiberglass repair. Man fiber work is expensive!!!

Dallas Skiboats should have me up and running by July 20.

motosno963
07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
did they check the v drive and motor also to see if she was still good? i also looked at a satelite view of the cove where you hit the rock..it looks like the rock bar takes up the entire area and theres a spot out infront of the cove also that looks to either be a sand/rock bar

Clamcakes
07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
The map that we had for the trip had pretty accurate depths. The depths for that area were 'suppose' to be in the 20' range. One of the guys at the marina said the lake was only about 2' low. If the sandbar is shallow, seems it should have been marked. There were quite a few places on the lake that had buoys to mark low spots and/or sandbars.

I asked Dallas Skiboats about the engine and v-drive and they'll be sure to check it once they get all the parts on.

motosno963
07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
does your boat have a depth finder on it? my 04 outback does but its not hooked up..also do u have a 500$ out of pocket?

rdlangston13
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Update from insurance. $6910 to repair. Need a new driveshaft, strut, rudder and prop. The rudder actually looked fine but the shop said it needs to be replaced. Found out the stock prop is around $650. Paid $450 for the ACME 1847 which is 10 times better than the stock POS.

The parts totalled up to about 1300. The rest is gelcoat and fiberglass repair. Man fiber work is expensive!!!

Dallas Skiboats should have me up and running by July 20.

Awesome! Just in time for the jam!

Clamcakes
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Yep have a depth finder. But you can be cruising along and see the depth go from 50 ft to 175 ft in a blink. It was 20+ feet and then BLAM, rockbar. A guy from the marina was telling me, that the lake is actually a flooded out valley and all of the 'islands' are small mountaintops and hills.

We were in a couple coves and 20-30 ft offshore the depth would be 40+ feet. Gets deep real quick.

My out of pocket is 750. Expensive mistake

mmandley
07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Glad your not losing to much time on the water over this. Maybe you can jump a few boats to kill the heat on a weekend or two between now and then.

I figured the glass work would be the most expensive.

Pretty pricy mistake but as stated before you can fix a boat, you can always fix the people LOL.