PDA

View Full Version : Front ballast filling by itself on 2006 Moomba Mobia with switches off

BrianGunter
06-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I just purchased a used 2006 Moomba Mombia with 220 hrs on it Saturday, took it out Sunday and the front bag filled up so full it opened the door (that is how I knew it filled up!). I did not know what else to do so I turned all three ballast switches to the "empty" position for the remainder of the day. This is all completely new to me...what do I do? Also when should the oil be changed and how do you go about it. Again, this is all completely new to me and I have no books to show me! Thanks

wolfeman131
06-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Start here: http://www.moomba.com/archive/

Download the Owner's Manual and read it to get the basics down.

C'mon back and we'll help you out on the things that still confuse you.

moombadaze
06-25-2012, 08:18 PM
welcome to the forums

pics of the new ride, we like pics around here

jpetty3023
06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Welcome and as already stated, we love pics

Sent from my home phone..

rdlangston13
06-25-2012, 09:10 PM
and if you removed the rear bench seat there should be gelcoated fiberglass piece that comes up. under this piece should be a PVC manifold with three sprinkler valves, one for each bag. these valves have a switch on them to manually open them, make sure it is not switched. If the front bag is manual opened then when you are under way water will be forced into the bag.

dbishop
06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Also, boats with Gravity III ballast systems are notorious for doing this. As mentioned above, make sure the little black switches are in the "operate" position, not the "let the water force it's way in" position. If the bag(s) still fill, you can always turn off the ball valve at the through-hull (probably a safer thing to do anyway when you're not using the ballast).

There are several more-permanent fixes (from what I've seen on this list):
1. Make sure the black levers are in the right position.
2. Remove the 3 sprinkler valves, disassemble and clean them. Reinstall. I lubricated the rubber innards w/ silicone faucet grease. The grease for your water pump impeller should work as well; it's glycerine.
3. Replace the 3 sprinkler valves with new Irritrol 700's.
(BTW, there's a good conversation here in the archives, among others: https://forum.moomba.com/archive/index.php/t-16245.html? )
4., 5., 6., Several other solutions that range from adding a second pump (to fill faster), to replacing the sprinkler valves with reversible pumps, to drilling 2 additional holes for new through-hulls. Most of these fixes are more involved, and most are trying to fix not only the "filling by itself" problem, but making the whole filling process faster.

BrianGunter
06-26-2012, 08:34 AM
I did find the owners manual and downloaded it, that helped answer a lot of questions! I did not know about removing the rear bench seat and check the switches there, so I will be doing that today. I will let you know how it turns out...thanks. For those that requested a pic...I think I attached one, but I will have to show another one in a few days, it is too plane right now so I am having a wrap put on it to "wake it up" a bit.15109

wolfeman131
06-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Nice looking boat there, Brian!

My vote, as I see a white tow rig, is to peel off those decals and have an all white setup. Get the windows on the boat tinted to about 5% and that will be a SICK setup!

Check out some pics from 11 Outback V. He has an all-white setup and it looks great. Except after long road trips behind his diesel. I thought he recently posted a pic of his rig & boat together, but couldn't find it.

BrianGunter
06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
That is one option we are discussing, we are definitely going to get the windows tinted!! Thanks

BrianGunter
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Went out on the water again late yesterday and bag still filled up with water...I* did fins a sprinkler valve way down in the hull (sort of below/under the engine) and it appears to be the one that runs to the front bag. Before I shut this off, can someone verify that this is the correct valve, I don't want to mess anything up. Also I removed the rear bench seat cover and there are two milky white plastic tanks there, but I could not find any of the switches as menitoned by David, any other suggestions?

KSmith
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Went out on the water again late yesterday and bag still filled up with water...I* did fins a sprinkler valve way down in the hull (sort of below/under the engine) and it appears to be the one that runs to the front bag. Before I shut this off, can someone verify that this is the correct valve, I don't want to mess anything up. Also I removed the rear bench seat cover and there are two milky white plastic tanks there, but I could not find any of the switches as menitoned by David, any other suggestions?

Any pictures of the milky white tanks?

E4NASH
06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking this is a LS (Direct Drive) and those tanks under the seat are the rear ballast tanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianGunter
06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
I do not have any pictures but can get some tonight, but it is a direct drive...I also assumed they where the ballast tanks but could not locate the black switches mentioned earlier in the thread.

rdlangston13
06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
my bad. i thought this was an LSV. i have no idea man

E4NASH
06-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Switches would be on the dash or below the throttle if it has Gravity 3. Your owners manual should be able to clue you in on where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianGunter
07-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I have found those swithces and these are the ones that I am having to leave the front ballast tank on empty, otherwise it keeps filling up. I have found a valve under the engine (deep down in the hull) but I cannot trace the lines well enough to know if this shuts off the water coming in to the ballast tanks or not. There is only one valve on the boat, so I am assuming it is the one, but want to verify before I turn it off.

KSmith
07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
If there is only one water line be very careful turning it off. The engine needs a water line to bring in lake water for coolant, if it is the same line you will burn up your impeller and then overheat the engine quickly.

BrianGunter
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
That is my concern! Thanks

moombabound
07-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Maybe it's like mine. If I place that switch in the "on" position, the bag self fills. Must be reverse wired.

Riding23
07-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Dont mean to jack your thread, but having a similar problem in my 04 XLV, just out of no where, all of a sudden the middle bag fills when you fill any of the 3 bags. I replaced the solonoid thinking that went bad but that didn't fix it! Maybe replace the valve or just take it out and clean it out?? Would appreciate any input!!!