PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust

TL7
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Ready to spend more money. I've seen all the pros, what are some cons? How many of you have them? We surf probably 75% of the time now.

maxpower220
06-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Con- Possible reduction of max speed by 1-3 mph.

I did not experience any reduction in top speed. In my application, I have seen no "cons". It will make your boat super quiet at idle, and more quiet everywhere. Some may not like that.

Canuckle Head
06-25-2012, 04:47 PM
There have been no cons to my FAE install either. I am very happy that I purchased this for my boat.

E4NASH
06-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Excuse the "dumb" question but could someone explain this exhaust to me and what the instal entails and costs? We surf A LOT and this past weekend I noticed the exhaust fumes while sitting on the transom...*gag*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motosno963
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
second ^^ haha

maxpower220
06-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Currently, your exhaust exits the boat out of the back of the transom. While running at speed, an air pocket is created and the exhaust goes into that air pocket. It swirls around and your surfer and passangers at the rear of the boat will be exposed. The FAE is generally a tube that puts the exhaust into the water. This means the exhaust will rise to the surface somewhere behind the boat and the surfer. This is why they claim it to be "safer" and why the exhaust is more quiet. It is also the reason that you may lose some top end of HP. Check the website to get the studies and for a more technical explaination.

motosno963
06-25-2012, 05:17 PM
www.freshairexhaust.com

motosno963
06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
looks easy enough to make.just get pvc pipe that will plug the exhaust port and make a 90 then at the middle a T to come down and out

Canuckle Head
06-26-2012, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=motosno963;183643]looks easy enough to make.just get pvc pipe that will plug the exhaust port and make a 90 then at the middle a T to come down and out[/QUOTE

Not sure that PVC would be strong enough..... There is quite a bit of load on that thing.

Lynn Syndrom
06-26-2012, 08:05 AM
I actually won an FAE system in a contest on onlyinboards.com about 2 years ago. I will tell you it is the single best modification we have made to our 2003 Outback. If you have any questions Onlyinboards.com has a ling to the FAE site and you can also talk with the owner of the company that makes FAE he is a good dude. Larry Mann (512) 647-7321 Our FAE system came with all the parts and was a simple bolt on modification.

mmandley
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
We added an FAE to ours also, PVC will not hold, its not quite as simple as it sounds. The down tube is angular not a straight tube. This lessens the water resistence on it.

Yes it muffles the exhaust at Idle.
Yes it makes a huge difference if you normally smell exhaust
yes it quitens it down in the boat, so much i actually can hear the water spashing as we drive.
Yes it makes your stock OJ prop growl unbearable because its all i hear now.
Yes it makes your stereo louder, because its not competing with your exhaust.
Yes its tons easier to talk to your surfer.
Yes they make a quick release option for removing the swim deck.
No it has no effects or benifits of any sort to wake boarding
No you can still here the exhaust
No its not direct bolt on application, you have to custom cut and drill the parts to adapt it to your swim deck

Lastly you have to be very carefull when bolting it to the boat, it uses hose clamps and if you over tighten them it will crush the exhuast ports and then you cant tighten it. I have had mine lose a bolt, almost fall off, then hit a large stick in the lake and almost rip it off.
I am now screwing on the ruber hoses that connect it to my boat, so it wont come off again.

I have detailed pictures and can do a full wite up if so desired by the masses.

I fully support FAE and its a home grown buisness and hes a great guy to work with.

wolfeman131
06-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I am not screwing the ruber hoses that connect it to my boat, so it wont come off again.

Is this one of those famous Mandley typos?

Do you mean that you ARE going to screw in the rubber hoses?

I would like to see & understand what you are doing as the benefits you list sound good for our family.

mmandley
06-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Is this one of those famous Mandley typos?

Do you mean that you ARE going to screw in the rubber hoses?

I would like to see & understand what you are doing as the benefits you list sound good for our family.

Yes famous mmanley typo LOL.

Dont you have Cats on your new boat? If so you wont see any benifit from this, as the cats act as a muffler and clean the air and you shouldnt smell or have ill effects. I just spend 2 days behind a new 2012 Tige Z3 and it had cats and its every bit as quite as an FAE and no one complained about smells

wolfeman131
06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Yes, the new boat does have cats. And, a dog.

I ordered the 345 due to the ultra-low emissions claims. I was thinking FAE for the noise reduction. Any benefits?

mmandley
06-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, the new boat does have cats. And, a dog.

I ordered the 345 due to the ultra-low emissions claims. I was thinking FAE for the noise reduction. Any benefits?

You would get more noise reduction if you think the boat is still loud.
Im not sure if it will connect to the new swim platform as easy, you would have to bolt the cross bar for the FAE to the bottom of the swim deck since it is a solid platform.

I seriously doubt you would see any performance changes because its the same diameter tubing as the exhaust and when it goes into the single drop tube its actualy larger just in a different shape for less drag.

I think if your serious Email FAE and talk them about it. I know the Tige is a flat swim deck like the Mojo so im sure they have a plan for it.

rdlangston13
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
engines with cats still produce CO in the exhaust

Salyers
06-26-2012, 04:22 PM
I have the 345 Cat and still smell exhaust from time to time. Nothing like the LS. The Cat doesn't eliminate the CO2. Just decrease it a bit. Still enough CO2 to be dangerous!

rdlangston13
06-26-2012, 05:00 PM
its not the CO2 that is dangerous, its the CO. CATS are mainly designed for HCs. CO2 and H2O are the two main by products of combustion.

KEH
06-26-2012, 05:54 PM
mmandley

I am thinking of this mod for my 2009 LSV
Would appreciate the write up and pics when you get the chance

Cheers

motosno963
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
second^^ how much is the set up since the site doesnt say

mmandley
06-26-2012, 10:52 PM
second^^ how much is the set up since the site doesnt say

Moto and KEH,

I bought the quick release option, for this i had to cut the stainless square tube to the right length, pretty simple.
Cut the circular tube that connects between the square tube and FAE, not as easy but not to hard
Drill threw holes top and botom on the circular tubes. This was a pain took 2 hours and 4 bits. Stainless is hard to drill, and being round is worse LOL.

I will find the pics i took and get a write up done.

Canuckle Head
06-27-2012, 12:07 AM
I seem to recall mine being 500ish.

wolfeman131
06-27-2012, 12:52 AM
If I remember correctly, Larry allowed for a group buy in the past. Get lined up and somebody make the call.

mmandley
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Actually if you get me 5 people i will call Larry, me and him worked out some details to get discounts done if i do them. I will will run the details and keep track of everything, if a couple people show interest here ill start a new thread and call Larry and see what deal i can get you. The base price i think was 450, quick release option is 50 i think and then you pay shipping on top of that. I will try to get the base price lowered buy 15% and see about the option price discount if you like that idea.

Now to be honest, my deal is i get a kick back for selling these items, what i will do is add my kick back to the discount and take nothing, give to my broterun.

maxpower220
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/search.php?searchid=106505

Here is the results for FAE install in the advanced search. I looked at mine write up, but the pictures are no longer there. The site was rebooted a while back and older posts have issues.

I did mine in 2008 and I threaded the swim bracket and did a different install than the directions gave. I emailed Larry my way of doing it. Don't know if you changed the procedure or not.

TL7
06-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Consider me in for the group buy.

moombadaze
06-27-2012, 04:25 PM
think I'd be in for the group buy if it happens

ULMboarder
06-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Im in.... so idiot that had the boat before me took the muffler off... so anything i can do to quiet this bad boy down, im in for.

KEH
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
RE:FAE

I am interested in the group buy and have spoken to Larry regarding getting my set up prior to an up coming vacation.
He stated he would do the group buy and add others if they are interested
I have had to call him numerous times to confirm availability of product and shipping times.
Each time I call he seems completely scattered and disorganized and unable to confirm whether or not he can get me the product.
I am not very optimistic he can put it together before my deadline (July 10-11)
Anyone else had this experience dealing with FAE?

Salyers
07-03-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm in but need to wait o buy till next month.

mmandley
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
RE:FAE

I am interested in the group buy and have spoken to Larry regarding getting my set up prior to an up coming vacation.
He stated he would do the group buy and add others if they are interested
I have had to call him numerous times to confirm availability of product and shipping times.
Each time I call he seems completely scattered and disorganized and unable to confirm whether or not he can get me the product.
I am not very optimistic he can put it together before my deadline (July 10-11)
Anyone else had this experience dealing with FAE?

Dr Larry as it is actually, FAE is a second buisness for him so most likly you are reaching him while hes being DR. Also i wanting the system with in a week is pretty tight schedule even for most large opterations.

Also there is a Thread i started specifically for the Group buy. Plase post in that thread as its easier for me to keep track of who wants in on the deal.

Thanks

KEH
07-03-2012, 11:19 PM
PM sent
Cheers