PDA

View Full Version : Alternator removal -- seems stuck!?

tcallis
06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm having trouble freeing my alternator on my 2008 LSV from the engine mount. I've cleared all hose obstacles and removed both bolts from the alternator. The alternator will swing up and down on the engine mount, but I can't remove it from the engine mount. There appears to be some part of the engine mount bracket that is inserted into the alternator mount hole.

I had thought after removing both bolts that I would be able to easily pull the alternator out. Any suggestions??

WaterBullDawg1980
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
There is a bolt that you remove that is on an "arm". This bolt is on the side of the alternator closest to the swim platform. If you do not remove that one then it would swing up and down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

newty
06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Tcallis,
Mine was the same way. I used a "C" clamp and socket (I think) and made a makeshift press to push the spacers in a bit. It fell right out after that. I don't know why its that way but it will come out. There is a collar/spacer that is haning up in the bracket.

tcallis
06-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Newty, Thanks for the suggestion. I can see the offending collar/spacer that is keeping the alternator from being released. I'll try to do something similar.

Mark, Thank you as well, but I've removed both bolts attaching the alternator, and loosened the tensioning arm. As Newty indicates in his post, there is some spacer partially inserted into engine mount hole and the alternator mount hole that is keeping alternator from being released.

Tcallis,
Mine was the same way. I used a "C" clamp and socket (I think) and made a makeshift press to push the spacers in a bit. It fell right out after that. I don't know why its that way but it will come out. There is a collar/spacer that is haning up in the bracket.