PDA

View Full Version : Mojo ballast

KAF
06-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Ive had the boat for about a month and have had trouble with the ballast emptying. I started looking into it and it seems that they are filling from the bottom and emptying from the top hose. This seems backwards to me. How are yours set up? The hoses are to short to switch them.

wolfeman131
06-24-2012, 08:47 AM
They fill & empty from the same line on the bottom of the bag. The top is a vent line that lets air escape the bag as you fill it. Are your pumps running long enough? You should be able to hear them in the port locker. Run them 1 at a time. Also make sure the bags and/or hose isn't getting bunched up.

KAF
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the help.

The pumps do seem to shut off/stop filling after a while(sometimes), but the dash still says its filling or emptying. If I shut it off and restart it, it works for a little while.

What speed do you run when emptying and filling the ballast? I've tried different speeds, but it doesn't seen to matter.

Greg C.
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I've had the same issue with mine as well. Mainly the port side, which we use the most for surfing. I had it at the dealer
Last week, they found no issues. I've had no issues with the bow, which is a tank.
Drew, have you noticed this on your boat? We have had to resort to standing on the bag at times to get them to empty.
Once the pump times and your stuck with a full bag, is there a way to reset the pump?

wolfeman131
06-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I used the directions I posted and reset the timers for so that the bags were filling/venting out the side. I have had to lift the front of the bag to get the water all the way out when draining. I'm hoping the check valves I'm installing clear this issue up.

I do know that once the digital readout says 100% or 0%, the pumps go into a sort of "protection" mode and will only run for a short period of time.

Boonejeepin
06-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Not sure that this is related but I was talking to Spencer at WAKEMAKERS a few days back and he said the the tuners do weird things if the boat is not running and providing sufficient electrical power via the charging system.

There is no need for the boat to be
moving with the Jabsco pumps. They are self priming.

freshturk
06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Same issue with my lsv. Ski locker drains like it has a vacuum but the rears always have residual water. I have check valves on all 3 sacs which definitely removes the need to ever burp the sacs but hasnt seemed to make a difference in draining. Any chance that because we are filling with water in the sacs and essentially over-filling(granted we have overflow valves to prevent this but im unsure of the max weight these sacs really are) that the 4min30sec to empty simply isnt enough? I'm gonna try to empty the ski locker first, and then drive while emptying the rears to see if this makes much of a difference.

E4NASH
06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
I have check valves on all three of my bags and I have to constantly let air out of my passenger side rear bag. Such a pain. That's the only one I have trouble with. Both of my rears never drain all the way either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
i always drain while under way at about 15 mph so all the water flows to the back of the bag where the hose connects. otherwise mine will not empty 100% either. i can be sitting still and drain them till water stops coming out of the through hull and then do this and they will begin draining again for another 30 sec or so

Salyers
06-25-2012, 08:49 AM
I haven't had any problems with filling yet. All my timers are set to 2min over fill time so that ballast fills completely. My rear bags don't empty all the way unless I run @ 12-15 with bow in air for end of fill. Still may 5lbs of water left but it's because the bag folds over the drain/fill hole from the suction.

I have thought about leaving the cork we put in the rear vent hole ( while we surf ) to see if the bag will drain more completely. I am worried that it would put more strain on the pump motor. Would it be the sme as putting a check valve on the line?