PDA

View Full Version : Blowout!

07-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Hey guys,

Had a blowout on my trailer today coming home from the lake. Before I go tire shopping, just wanted to see if any of y\'all had suggstions on what a good replacement trailer tire would be. Thanks.

Witt
07-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry I wasn't signed in. What I was trying to say was that I am looking for advice on good trailer tires. I had a blowout coming home from the lake today, and would prefer not to have that happen again. Any good or bad input about any boat trailer tires would be appreciated before I go tire shopping. Thanks.

Buttafewcoe
07-11-2005, 08:23 AM
One thing..............do not make the mistake of substituting regular car tires for trailer tires. Trailer tires have stiffer side walls and can handle the lateral forces better. Trailer tires tend to be a little more expensive because of the heavier construction, but definately money well spent.
Hope this helps
Butta

mobiusLSV05
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Question, how old are the tires--do those of us with new boats need to be concerned, I never got a spare with mine.

Witt
07-11-2005, 11:13 PM
The tires were only a year and a half old. I always carry a spare with me thank goodness. If you need a spare for your Moomba, I'd just go to your localtire shop and have them set you up with a basic wheel and trailer tire, rather than paying 400 bucks for the Moomba factory spare tire. I just throw my spare in the back of the truck when I pull my trailer. I've had blowouts almost once a year, so I am going to see what I can do about getting a higher load rated tire. We'll see what happens. The tread on the tires is always fine and I check the air pressure everytime before I go. I just think that some boat trailer manufacturers try to get by with the cheapest tire they can. Make sure that your trailer tire is rated to handle the weight of your boat and trailer...mine isn't getting it done.

Catdog1
07-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Am using Goodyear Marathons. Have replaced two because of edges worn all the way into the wire. Have a single axle boatmate trailer.

I have one of the worn ones mounted as a spare on a $39 white spoke wheel.

Advice --- have your tire shop balance your trailer tires and spare. Few people do this, but it helps keep your boat and trailer from shaking apart. Mine needed a lot of weight added.

I swear it tows smoother now. Just did a 13 hour round trip at fairly high speed during the heat of day. No prob.

Would like to hear what you come up with on the load rating investigation.

I have heard of utility trailer bearings heating up and causing excess tire heat and blowouts. Seems like a longshot, but worth mentioning I guess.