PDA

View Full Version : Speedometers stopped working on 2005 Mobius LS

pls4912
07-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Well was out wakeboarding today and both speedometers went haywire. Both would come on and off at the same time, working then stop working. Seems to be a loose wire or short somewhere. Messed with some of the wiring under the dash everything looks to be okay. Anyone have any ideas on where to start. Just dont want to make the journey to the dealer for something simple. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phillip

lowdrag
07-11-2005, 04:06 AM
If both of them are doing the same thing, the first place I'd start would be the paddlewheel in the hull and trace the wiring back from there. Could be wiring or maybe something that is keeping the paddlewheel from turning freely.

pls4912
07-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Is there only one paddle wheel for both Speedo's? For some reason I was under the impression that there was two. I will get under there and check. I dont think that is what is causing the problem however because when the boat is sitting at idle they are bouncing all over the place. Anyone know where I can find the speedo wire in the hull?

Brian Raymond
07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
The paddlewheel is located just in front of the starter and under the blower. There is a gray deutsch connection about 12" up from where the wire enters the paddlewheel. Be sure this connector is tied up out of the bilge bottom, pull it apart and make sure there is no water trapped in the connector. Verify you have good connections at the plugs under the dash and that the fine wires from the speedo adjusters to the speedos are not loose or broken. Since it is a new boat and under warranty, I would bring it to your dealers attention and let them repair the problem. Brian Raymond

pls4912
07-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks Brian, I will check it out and let you know what happens.

pls4912
07-25-2005, 11:59 AM
The problem is fixed. I found the speedometer transducer cable underneath the starter, checked the connection at the duestch connector and tied up out of the bilge. While I was doing this I noticed there was a frayed wire a few inches from the connector. I guess it had been rubbing on something. Restored the connection and everything worked fine. Thanks for the tips Brian.
Phillip