PDA

View Full Version : Where to next.....

rsinger
06-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Possible training trip planned in September.

Washington or Austin????

Any input, good or bad?

Wife is probably coming too and she likes taking pictures.

bergermaister
06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Washington State or Washington DC?

KG's Supra24
06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Washington State or Washington DC?

Does it matter ... :D

No, seriously ... DC is somewhere you should visit, there is a lot to see. I don't know much about Washington State, I'm guessing you are talking Seattle area?

jpetty3023
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Austin TX, easy pick

Sent from my home phone..

rsinger
06-21-2012, 03:29 PM
It's DC

How many memory cards would the wife need? :D

KG's Supra24
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
If you have never been .... I'd probably pick DC over Austin. However, it may be pretty hot this time of year in DC and you would want to do a lot of walking around.

jpetty3023
06-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Good call Kyle but something tells me austin gonna be hotter than DC. In all
seriousness thou, and I got much love for TX, if you have an all expense paid trip between the 2 and you've never been to DC take that trip every day of the week and twice on sundays

rsinger
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Good call Kyle but something tells me austin gonna be hotter than DC.

This is probably late September. Is it still that hot getting into fall?

KG's Supra24
06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
That sounds perfect.

.... and its an election year :o Dunno if that affects anything in DC or not.

jpetty3023
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
We're likely to still have 100 degree temps in early September

wolfeman131
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
I lived in DC for just about a year and September would be a nice time of year to visit. One of the biggest reasons is that most kids are back in school, so they aren't in the city on their tours. It's a pretty cool town. We liked going to Old Town Alexandria and The Chart House on the Potomac for dinner, the The Fish Market for schooner of beer. We liked Georgetown for restaurants, too.

There is so much to see in that city. If you can, get a hotel near a Metro station and skip getting a car. Unless you have time to take a ride out to Annapolis.

E4NASH
06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I lived in DC for just about a year and September would be a nice time of year to visit. One of the biggest reasons is that most kids are back in school, so they aren't in the city on their tours. It's a pretty cool town. We liked going to Old Town Alexandria and The Chart House on the Potomac for dinner, the The Fish Market for schooner of beer. We liked Georgetown for restaurants, too.

There is so much to see in that city. If you can, get a hotel near a Metro station and skip getting a car. Unless you have time to take a ride out to Annapolis.

I grew up in the DC metro area and I can tell you it is a GREAT place to go. If you like museums the Smithsonian has something for EVERYONE. Then you have all of the monuments, the white house, Georgetown!. I can go on and on. It's a great place to visit. The kids should be back in school right after labor day unless things have changed. So you shouldn't run into too many crowds. The temps will be warm but it shouldn't be too hot. Old town Alexandria and Georgetown are an absolute MUST! Again there are sooo many things to see and do. Get your walking shoes ready and like Wolfe said skip the car rental. Parking can be a nightmare and the Metro goes everywhere. Have fun!

Go Nats!
Go 'Skins!!
Go Caps!

chawk610
06-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Austin... so much to do... and chances are good you won't be murdered! That's gotta be worth somethin' huh?

E4NASH
06-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Murdered?? Please....The National Mall, where all the monuments and museums are, is Safer than your own home.

What's there to do in Austin?? I've been there...not a whole lot going on. Not a real big tourist hot spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Go to Austin if you like weirdo people

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

maxpower220
06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Washington or Austin????

Dude, this doesn't even qualify as a valid question. The nation's capital is a far, far better place to visit (especially if you haven't been to either). There are so many excellent things to see and so many wonderful museums to visit in D.C. that you really have to plan ahead to get it all done. Tours of the White House and the Capital, the National Treasury, The Smithsonian, these are all places that everyone should tour at least once. Those places alone will take a few days to tour properly.

Austin is a nice place and it's better when school is in. But nothing there compares to the experience in D.C. Plus the weather will be better in D.C.

jmvotto
06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
DC is a no brainier, no offense to Austin ,but all the things stated above.

deerfield
06-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Ron – I encourage you to make Washington DC your September destination. There are plenty of hotels within walking distance of the National Mall or near a Metro line that can get you to the Mall. Room price will vary based on a hotel’s proximity to the Mall and its occupancy rate (which can be at or near 100% during certain times of the year in DC). Cabs are an alternative to short distances if you don’t feel like walking and find yourself not near a Metro stop. Completely avoid driving. The U.S. war memorials (WWII, Vietnam, and Korea) on the Mall are a must see. The Smithsonian Museums and Library of Congress hold national treasures. Take a tour of the Capitol Building. Carve out time to watch the action on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House. Take the night bus tour of the Presidential and War Memorials that leaves from Union Station. Check out the ceiling in the lobby of the Willard Hotel. Enjoy a drink in the Willard’s The Round Robin Bar. Check the House and Senate committee hearing schedules and drop in for thirty minutes. Casual attire such as shorts and sandals is acceptable. While in the Capitol Building, might even consider dropping by the office of the House member whose district in North Dakota or Minnesota is contiguous to Manitoba. Say hello to the staff and ask for suggestions while in DC. Your country has a fabulous embassy in DC. Call and ask to speak with a staff member who can recommend places to visit and restaurants to add to your agenda while in DC. The embassy is located on Pennsylvania Avenue, one block from the Smithsonian’s National Gallery of Art and two blocks from the Capitol Building. DC is a great place to visit. Would love to have you visit our nation’s capitol. - Stuart

rsinger
06-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Holy cow. Lots of input, but it seems on one side of the fence. I guess it's a no brainer. Thanks for the big push in what appears almost a unanimous opinion.

I probably won't be seeing to much. These courses are usually brutal if you don't already have some sort of back ground in the area. But the wife will be happy as a "pig in ???".

Of all the places you mentioned Deerfield, I'll probably make an effort to get to the Smithsonian and white house. Other than that I probably won't have much time to do any sight seeing myself.

I just put in my request today. I think maybe I'll take the VP out to lunch and a few drinks before she sees my request.

But on a brighter note, the weather's supposed to be nice for the next few days. It's boat time...... I think I feel a cold coming on. Might have to call in sick tomorrow.