PDA

View Full Version : comes off of idle and dies when put in gear???

RedMobuis
06-20-2012, 02:40 AM
so this weekend i was attempting to surf when my boat was malfunction. It runs fine while in the throttle, but when you go to neutral it will run fine for a few second then start to loose idle, and drop off then come up. when u put it from neutral to reverse sometime it will die. I'm going to track down a fuel filter, spark plugs, and oil filter for oil change. I bought the bought this past April and it was in pristine condition, and all service records. It had about 250 hours and i have put 317 already. any other suggestion??
2005 moomba mobius lsv

KSmith
06-20-2012, 06:59 AM
It sounds like fuel starvation at idle. Try the fuel filter first perhaps spary some carb cleaner into the carb while running it at slightly above idle so it remains running (do this on the lake or with a fake a lake so the motor doesn't burn up). Use the transmission lockout to rev the engine some so you aren't having to drive and spray... You may need to adjust the idle mixture screw as well.

Also how old is the gas you are running? Was it stored over winter? Was it treated before storage?

RedMobuis
06-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks. Gathering new filter and plugs and oil today. Fuel is good. I have been running around on te lake Sind late April so I have put several tanks threw it.

RedMobuis
06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I changed my fuel filter, spark plugs and oil prior to the weekend. She ran like a champ this weekend. Problem fixed!

RedMobuis
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
she only ran like a champ for a week or so. Now im back to the same problem. Today im gonna go to the lake and try and get the model number off the carb. i plan on getting a rebuild kit to hopefully fix the problem. My dad bought some seafoam but ive always been scared to use this stuff. I used it in my truck one time and next thing i know i was buying new fuel rails. Any suggestion????

ga-lsv05
07-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Have you tried adjusting the idle?

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

ga-lsv05
07-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Your 2005 has a carb?

Stazi
07-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Seafoam is awesome....not sure how it ruined your fuel rail....I'd dump a bottle into the tank and give it a whirl.

98Roo
07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Seafoam should not hurt anything. If you do indeed have a Carb, sounds like it's time for a rebuild. Mine did something similar, would die sometimes when shifted into gear and would bog and choke out at higher rpms. If it's fuel injected, you obviously have a different problem. Oil pressure safety switch perhaps? That would cut the fuel pump off if there is low oil pressure.

wolfeman131
07-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Yep, sea foam won't hurt it. Take some pics when you pull it apart. I want to see if Baker get to keep the award for grossest carb ever.

98Roo
07-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Yep, sea foam won't hurt it. Take some pics when you pull it apart. I want to see if Baker get to keep the award for grossest carb ever.

I doubt anyone will beat me at that!

I had said something about the oil pressure safety switch, not sure what models come with them but my '98 carbed motor did and it is right under the distributor with 3 wires going to it. Mine was bypassed when I got it, I assume because it failed (my oil pressure is good). SKIDIM sells an Indmar replacement. See if your engine has one and jump the wires and see if it runs any better.

RedMobuis
07-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Your 2005 has a carb?

Yes it's a 2005 with Carb.

ga-lsv05
07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Yes it's a 2005 with Carb.

Ok then you won't be checking fuel pressure at the rail and it should be around 8-12psi. That being said its probably time for a rebuild. Although sometimes carbon build up will cause the venturis to drip and this won't cause a problem at cruise or wot. Only at idle. I would suggest disassemling it and give it a good cleaning. Or take it somewhere for a good ultrasonic bath. Most cycle shops have one.

ga-lsv05
07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
These guys seem to be reasonable on pricing if replacement is the route you decide to go http://www.MarineCarbs.com/?gclid=CL7t_oHNt7ECFcyb7QodKTgA-g

98Roo
07-26-2012, 05:17 PM
My rebuild from carb junkys cost me $200 including return shipping. They have great customer service and my carb runs great. You'll just have to adjust idle speed and mixture using a vacuum gauge when you get it back.

wolfeman131
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Red, sounds like you need to make a 2hr roadtrip to the ATL and getcha hooked up!

98Roo
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Red, sounds like you need to make a 2hr roadtrip to the ATL and getcha hooked up!
I almost went with a new carb but decided to stick with a rebuild since I knew it was the right carb with the right jets for my motor. Call them and talk to Melissa or Jim. They know what they're doing. It'll come with a new base gasket but mention to them you need the top gasket for the flame arrester too.