PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

LakePerson1952
06-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I've been slalom skiing for about 53 years - many trick and "odd" skies too. A few years ago I tried to wakeboard behind a friend's boat. Got up easily on the first try but when I fell I wasn't able to get up again in any of numerous tries.

A few weeks ago, with a board recommended for me by a very knowledgable wakeboarder, I tried getting up again. Neither me or the driver knew about wakeboarding but I told her to do a somewhat slow rev-up and if I got up to pull me at 17mph. I couldn't get up. The board was "submarining" and eventually I just couldn't hold on any more. Tried it a number of times with no success. I think I pulled a stomach muscle pretty bad.

The following week, I went to a wakeboard cable park. Used a board at the park - not mine. Wakeboarded about an hour and never once had any difficulty getting up. When I first started getting up I would start with the board more or less perpendicular to the cable and level in the water. After a bit I learned that it was even easier to get up if I would angle the board so that my forward foot was pointed a little up and toward the "boat" compared to my back foot. I did notice that the angle of the line to the cable was a higher angle than the 75' line attached to the tower in my Outback. I got up probably 25 times with no problem or difficulty.

OK. Last week I tried again behind my boat. I shortened my line by 15' hoping a 60' line would give me a better upward angle on the line. I tried angling the board so that my forward foot was pointed a little up and toward the boat compared to my back foot like I did at the cable park but it seemed that the board was more boyant than the one at the park (my board was selected due to my weight). Again, the board would simply submarine until I just couldn't hold on any longer. I didn't seem to be getting any "lift" at all.

What the heck am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP.

Mikey
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Something in your technique is changing. Usually once youve done it once there are no more problems. I've had people fight me/boat and to the point of exhuastion,yet with a simple twist ,turn etc coming out of the water on a wakeboard is one of the easiest things going.

I talk from experience on this as well as my first time i tryed to the point of pulling a groin muscle. Very next day i said i would try again and without realizing what i did or didn't do different i have never had a problem since.

I've been waterskiing for 42 years and i pride myself on the fact i've been ,lucky or proficient at first attempts getting out of the water or starting out,usually doing it FIRST try. Deep water start,dragging,double booting,dropping,beach start etc ALL with great results FIRST try...... Till i tryed a wakeboard . Try getting someone watch for what you are doing wrong. Quit Fighting the boat and learn to relax, sit back on the board and let it pull you up with tip up,not parralel ... Pushing against the boat. Likely its a Very simple change needed only.

KSmith
06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I dunno. I have skied, mostly slalom, since I was a little spud. When I tired wakeboarding I got up first try, no worries. I have never had any issues getting up on the wakeboard. Occassionally when I try my wakeskis the wife tries to drown me or snap me in half.

What helped my stepson get up on the wakeboard, which was kicking his azz, was to lean back, board parallel with boat transom, rope between feet (like waterskiing), kness bent, elbows on knees. As the boat starts off and picks up a little speed let the tension rock you forward a little bit elbows still on knees then when there is enough pressure built just stand up, move rope to dominant hip and ride out the flats.

I watched and coached him and tired to get him up for months then a "real" wakeboarder gave him the suggestion as above and within 5 tries he got up. Didn't stay up very long back then but he has zero issues getting up now and yet staying up for any length of time is still an issue LOL

Boonejeepin
06-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Arms wrapped around your knees, heels to you butt, and top side of the board above the water level.

Stay in that position until you are all the way up and then stand and swing the board in line with the boat.

LakePerson1952
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Arms wrapped around your knees, heels to you butt, and top side of the board above the water level.

Stay in that position until you are all the way up and then stand and swing the board in line with the boat.

Just to be clear, your saying elbow on the OUTSIDE of my knees and squating as much as possible? I was doing it elbows inside the knees and maybe a half squat both at the cable park and behind my boat. I was able to get up in the cable park but it seemed like the angle of the pull was lifting me more.

Thanks for the tips so far - additional tips will be appreciated.

Boonejeepin
06-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Elbows on outside of knees like you are holding your knees together.

This video helped me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1GhUpIcc0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

maxpower220
06-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Where are the binding/boots located on this board. If they are set for a neutral or goofy stance, you will encounter the submarine sensation. For beginners, I recommend that the bindings be place to the rear. It will enhance stability when learning to ride. Once comfortable, you can move the bindings more centered and start with riding fakey.

Since getting up is a technique that is unique to each rider, you probably already have it since you have gotten up. I teach beginners a specific way. After they get up a few times, they are doing it the way it "feels" and us usually different than the way I taught.

lsvboombox
06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Similar to what boone said, sit in the water like you are taking a dump on a toilet... Stay in that position til you break surface. The frontside of your board needs to be have a little lift so you pop out of the water. If its to high you will be pushing to much water and killing your arms. I can pop out of the water pretty effortlessly.

Check out this vid around 3:30 mark. He risess out of the water with ease

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y83cMInxmVw

kaneboats
06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Sometimes "pushing down with your toes" will help. If the board is at a 90 degree angle with the boat you will push water. If you can get it to 45, even if the whole board is under water it will lift or rise up to the surface as you get up. If it doesn't get better quickly have someone shoot video of you at the cable park and behind the boat. It will all make perfect sense.

Another thing you can do is practice starts with a surf board at a much slower pace. You have to do things right without bindings and it's much easier. Then try getting up with the board using the surf rope or at least close to surf distance from the boat.

parrothd
06-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Just to be clear, your saying elbow on the OUTSIDE of my knees and squating as much as possible? I was doing it elbows inside the knees and maybe a half squat both at the cable park and behind my boat. I was able to get up in the cable park but it seemed like the angle of the pull was lifting me more.

Thanks for the tips so far - additional tips will be appreciated.

Lol....

My brother in-law was doing this very same thing last weekend. He tries to switch back and from skiing to wakeboarding and forgets the basics, elbows outside knees and squat with butt near the board, weight on heels. Let the boat do everything, stay in that position until you're ready to stand up and turn...

brain_rinse
06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Try the basketball method. You're playing ball and get knocked to the court, so you sit up, knees are bent, and a teammate comes over and grabs your arm and pulls you back to your feet. Same strategy behind the boat. You don't actually "do" anything, just keep your knees bent, your arms out, and let the boat do all the work. Oh, and board completely perpendicular to the boat. It will go under water and that's just fine.

Also the cable park starts are much different than deep water/behind the boat so don't try to compare technique. Sounds like you've got it just fine at the park. Good luck!

parrothd
06-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I also tell my beginners when you see the "wall of water" turn the board towards the boat...

Makes it a little bit easier to get up... :)

tarheelskier
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Butt to the board....when boat starts pulling, you have to squat as far as possible to slide your butt to the board. If you think about it, what its doing is lowering your center of gravity for when you are on top of the water. Keeping knees bent but not fully squated to the board will make you "too tall" when you stand up and will pull you over the front of the board.

KSmith
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Tell ya what, you're about 2 hours away, how about you come on over to Acworth and we'll go out and practice!!

wolfeman131
06-21-2012, 01:19 PM
good call, Kapt'n!

pleanty of folks to help you out on Sinclairin a few wks:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18076-2012-Skier-s-Choice-Sinclair-Jam-July-14-in-Milledgeville-GA

rsinger
06-21-2012, 01:24 PM
FWIW. Try to get the driver to accelerate slower. It helped a couple of kids, that never tried before, to get up.

I noticed once they were almost up I ended up pulling them over. So I accelerated half as quick that they all got up within one or 2 tries.

NCSUmoomba
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
I'll beat this horse a bit. The advice I give is straight from "The Book" series. Lay back in the water knees bent and board perpendicular to the line. When the boat starts to pull, slide your butt to your heels and then stand up. Once up, then point one end of the board at the boat.

Now, most of the better riders don't start like this, including myself, and I am not that good of a rider. I start with the board under the water beneath me. It is a lot easier for me. However, getting the board under the water can be tricky and it takes some practice. So once I get the boat under me, I bend my knees like I am sitting in a chair (board still perpendicular to the line). Have the toeside edge of the board tipped up a bit higher than the heelside edge. As the boat starts to pull, I rise right up out of the water. Piece of cake.

A few folks I have tried to teach the traditional way with no luck. I get them to try the submerged board way, and they pop right up. Then they fuss, "why didn't you tell me that way to begin with, it's much easier."

Also, too hard of a hit from the driver will pull you out the front. I have had the best results taking out the slack, applying light tension, and then smoothly put the hammer down, like maybe one full second to push the throttle all the way forward. And then of course, start pulling the throttle back when you are about 5 mph from your set speed to try and meet that speed without overshooting it.

Hope some of this advice helps.

LakePerson1952
06-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone. Videos were great as were the other tips.

LakePerson1952
06-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Tell ya what, you're about 2 hours away, how about you come on over to Acworth and we'll go out and practice!!

I may try to take you up on that offer. Allatoona is a nice lake. I've spent a lot of time there.

11 Outback V
06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Dont know if this will help or not but here goes.
I can only get up on a wake board if I treat it exactly as I do a slalom ski. Same in water tech and same boat driving tech.
Just my .02 and what works for me.

KSmith
06-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I may try to take you up on that offer. Allatoona is a nice lake. I've spent a lot of time there.

You are more than welcome, come on down and we'll go play on the lake.

moombadaze
06-24-2012, 09:24 AM
this worked for one young girl who was struggling to get up the first time, my advise to her was simple, when the rope starts to pull you, you just stand up.

tnbrooks01
06-24-2012, 11:19 AM
The following week, I went to a wakeboard cable park. Used a board at the park - not mine. Wakeboarded about an hour and never once had any difficulty getting up. When I first started getting up I would start with the board more or less perpendicular to the cable and level in the water. After a bit I learned that it was even easier to get up if I would angle the board so that my forward foot was pointed a little up and toward the "boat" compared to my back foot. I did notice that the angle of the line to the cable was a higher angle than the 75' line attached to the tower in my Outback. I got up probably 25 times with no problem or difficulty.

What the heck am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP.
As you seem to be aware of the cable park has a much more upward pull than behind a boat, and no matter what you do you cannot match that angle. One thing that you may not be considering is starting at the cable you go from 0-18mph instantly where the boat speeds up much slower.
I teach people "knees bent and arms straight" and "stay sitting in the chair" until the board is completely on plane. When driving and teaching I take all slack out of the line with the boat at idle, tug the rider for a very short distance and pull them out of the water to a butter slide (50/50) very quickly. If you pull up slowly, most riders do not have the upper body and core strength to keep the board on an upward angle, they begin to get pulled over and the board starts to go down just like and airplane wing and they just turn into a human anchor.