PDA

View Full Version : Towing Long Distances??

ZSullivan
06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Getting ready to tow the boat a 1000 Miles from Las Vegas to Colorado. I know some people take down tower speakers and other stuff. I currently have a pair of Rev 10's and a Rev410 on the tower. What about things with the trailer? I dont have tie downs on the back but will definitely be adding them before heading out. anyone take the swim platform off as well? Would love to know your thoughts!!!

THANKS!

New Guy
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I just got back from a 1400 mi round trip haul. I didn't do anything differently. I did put new tires on the trailer though.

brain_rinse
06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I tow 400 miles each way, several times each summer. I gave up on trying to make the OEM snap cover work and just tow open. There are two cushions (cooler and the seat behind the driver) that could fly out. I put hinges on mine but you could velcro or otherwise secure them to keep this from happening. I know people have lost the rear bench too but no idea how.

I have covers for tower speakers and had covers made for the board racks. I also wrap up the tower cross bars and mirror bracket with that clear stretchy plastic wrap to make bug removal easy.

Haven't heard of swim platform removal but as long as it's pinned in place I wouldn't worry about it. Window closed and latched. Check your tire pressure every couple of stops and make sure your hubs aren't over heating. Definitely get the straps hooked up.

Have a good trip!

KG's Supra24
06-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I would make the sure trailer was "road ready" and up to date on maintenance. You might consider wrapping something (saran wrap) around the tower legs so you don't end up with a ton of bugs.

Also, you need to take a couple pics of the boat and Rev's and post them up. That's probably the first thing Id do :)

moombahighrider
06-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I tow long distances often (just got back from lake Powell, actually).
I use my oem snap covers all the time and it works great for me. No real ill effects in my experience. I always use my rear straps as well as a backup strap on the bow eye. I have covers for the speakers and top tower cross bar, and all four board racks. I take my mirror off the arm but leave the arm uncovered on the tower. I also put my z5 in the cabin of the boat and use towels to protect it and the vinyl on the seats from each other. I leave my swim step latched on but I use composite shims to keep the slop out of it. Obviously the window closed and latched. Check everything often and you should be good. Where in co are you heading?

brain_rinse
06-19-2012, 02:48 PM
I tow long distances often (just got back from lake Powell, actually).
I use my oem snap covers all the time and it works great for me. No real ill effects in my experience. I always use my rear straps as well as a backup strap on the bow eye. I have covers for the speakers and top tower cross bar, and all four board racks. I take my mirror off the arm but leave the arm uncovered on the tower. I also put my z5 in the cabin of the boat and use towels to protect it and the vinyl on the seats from each other. I leave my swim step latched on but I use composite shims to keep the slop out of it. Obviously the window closed and latched. Check everything often and you should be good. Where in co are you heading?
The front snaps on my bow cover always come unsnapped. I take it you don't have that problem? x2 on the composite shims. And Z5 inside is a good move too if you have the cover on. Off topic, but how about some pics of your mods? The wind block and adapter plate sound interesting. Thanks!

moombahighrider
06-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I can get some pics posted of those mods. Give me a few days and I should be able to get to it. They are pretty simple but very effective.

I don't have a problem with the front snaps coming undone. They are pretty tight to snap on, so I guess I got lucky. I know from experience with my previous boat that all snaps are not created equal. Some that I came across were very weak, almost like they were the wrong size (more likely different manufacturer for each piece and they don't gel, so to speak).

brain_rinse
06-19-2012, 04:27 PM
The simple mods are the best ones! I had the EZ nets on my boat within a week or two and it's still one of my favorite mods.

Maybe I'll look into getting new snaps put on my bow cover. I got tired of pulling over to resnap them all the time. I tried wrapping with plastic wrap across the front edge and around the front of the boat, but it never seemed to stay put and just caused more problems.

moombadaze
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I just toss the Evolutions cover on and go after removing the speakers and racks--keeps them cleaner

rdlangston13
06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
I just toss the Evolutions cover on and go after removing the speakers and racks--keeps them cleaner

What's the difference in the evolution cover and the regular one besides
More straps in the rear of the evolution??

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

moombahighrider
06-19-2012, 11:27 PM
In an effort to not jack this thread, I started a new thread with some photos of the mods in question.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=18336

pogofx
06-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Tires, tires, tires. That's your single biggest issue towing long distance. I've been towing my boats over 500 miles several times a summer for the last 13 years. I've replaced a lot of tires over that time. Blowouts, tread separation, sidewall failure, etc. Double check the overall condition of the tires and make sure you are inflated to the max recommended. Replace any tires that look sketchy (cracked sidewall, etc.) Having a double axle makes things a lot nicer and safer.

Pick up a couple of those orange hazard triangles you put in the road. I had to replace a tire once while blocking a lane of traffic. Tire seized up in the wheel well and there was no shoulder and no way to pull off the road. I wish I had those traiangles that I could have put behind the boat further up the road. An old lady almost ran into the back of the boat while I was under there changing the tire. Wasn't paying attention. I bailed out while she was locking up the brakes. She stopped about a foot short.

Same trip - after replacing the tire I saw a Walmart about 5 miles up the road and decided to stop and get that tire replaced since I only had the one spare. It cost me a couple of hours, but I knew I had about 400 miles to go. Smartest thing I ever did. Had another blowout 100 miles later. From now on, if I lose a tire on the road, I'll always stop and get the spare fixed if possible.

I went through a few years where I had a tire curse and so personally, its my biggest area of concern when towing long distance. Every stop I always double check the tires and wheel bearings (make sure they're not glowing).

mmandley
06-20-2012, 04:16 PM

I just got confirmation my new Evo cover is shiped. Ill do a write up on the differences.

The main this is it has brackets that hold the cover to the rub rail all the way down the cover, in stead of the rope in the cover used to cinch it down. Also it is a much tighter fit then the factory cover.

Lastly the aditional straps in the rear are to help keep it very tight so it doesnt balloon like the factory cover.

Lastly its designed to be a towing cover, the factory cover technically isnt even though many of us tow with it anyhow.

moombadaze
06-20-2012, 08:04 PM

as Mike pointed out, the Evolution is designed for towing-its heavy and reinforced at the stress points.

rdlangston13
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
So what would be the worst that could happen from towing with the factory cover?

mmandley
06-20-2012, 10:29 PM
So what would be the worst that could happen from towing with the factory cover?

Premature wear of the cover, rub marks on the boat hull from the straps.

Thats about it really.

rdlangston13
06-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Premature wear of the cover, rub marks on the boat hull from the straps.

Thats about it really.

what if you just put the straps on the inside of the boat and didnt use them?

kaneboats
06-21-2012, 01:03 AM
If you leave the platform on you can take an extra strap and loop it through the brackets on the underside and cinch it down to the trailer. The idea is to take all the play out of it so it's not bouncing up and down for 800 miles and rounding out the pin holes. Good luck and be safe!

moombadaze
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
what if you just put the straps on the inside of the boat and didnt use them?

good question, not sure, but I wonder if the cover could fly off the boat when one is booking down the hwy doing 70+ mph.

parrothd
06-21-2012, 12:33 PM
good question, not sure, but I wonder if the cover could fly off the boat when one is booking down the hwy doing 70+ mph.

I learned this lesson, always tow with the cover on, you never know what will fly out...last time it was a cooler.. :)

rdlangston13
06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I've never towed with the cover on and have always been afraid of it beating the gel coat silly

pogofx
06-21-2012, 11:50 PM
I stopped towing with a cover after trying it for a few years. I spent too much time messing with the cover at every stop on the long trips. Also got tired of ripped covers and marks on the gel coat from some part that got loose that I couldn't see while on the road.

moombadaze
06-22-2012, 07:39 AM
I've never towed with the cover on and have always been afraid of it beating the gel coat silly

David, been using my cover for 3 yrs now when I tow 5 to 8 hrs one way, a couple times a year. Absolutly no issues that I can see of gel damage, and I look too.

I just tighten the single strap that goes under the rub rail as tight as i can get, the 5 straps on the rear just get snugged up and make sure the little hook straps are under the rub rail and it's ready to go. The Evolution cover needs no adjustment in route.

rdlangston13
06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
i guess all signs are pointing telling me to buy an evolution cover. ugh

Ian Brantford
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
My dealer put on the factory cover before towing it 500 km to my local marina. Then I had to pay a local detailer several hundred to very carefully wet-sand the black strap marks out of the yellow hull. Without the straps to hold it down, I can easily see it ripping free due to wind. So, no, don't tow with the factory cover on. Stow anything that might blow out or get a proper towing cover.

I like the idea of adding hinges or velcro for certain seatcushions to prevent blowout. I currently just take the couple with potential for loss and stow them in the observer's storage compartment.

parrothd
06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
My dealer put on the factory cover before towing it 500 km to my local marina. Then I had to pay a local detailer several hundred to very carefully wet-sand the black strap marks out of the yellow hull. Without the straps to hold it down, I can easily see it ripping free due to wind. So, no, don't tow with the factory cover on. Stow anything that might blow out or get a proper towing cover.

I like the idea of adding hinges or velcro for certain seatcushions to prevent blowout. I currently just take the couple with potential for loss and stow them in the observer's storage compartment.

You just need to make sure the straps don't flap and markup the hull, better yet get someone to make a sock to cover the straps. Or you can buy them... :) And those marks come out easily with a little elbow grease and rubbing compound..

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/115/TieDowns

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Erickson/EM06305-2.html

Ian Brantford
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
You just need to make sure the straps don't flap and markup the hull, better yet get someone to make a sock to cover the straps.

I have done that one time with some temporary protection, used at very low speed, when I had to tow in poor weather. However, I had not control or warning of what was to happen when the dealer sent it to me. Imagine being greeted by the sight of your brand new boat from the dealer, damaged by his negligence.

Or you can buy them... :) And those marks come out easily with a little elbow grease and rubbing compound..

That did not work for me. Only the most superficial part of the marks could be removed that way. 500km of towing had those marks in pretty deep. Even with a professional doing the work, it was a near miss to not require repainting.

pogofx
06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I guess the real question on the cover is what are the benefits of towing covered, and do they outweigh the potential risks or problems? Keeping the cover on will help keep out the elements (sun/rain), keep some of the bugs splatters off, and help keep loose items in the boat. The potential risks are gel coat rubs, torn cover, and the lost time and irritation messing with the cover durning the trip. I've never had a cover as good as this Evolution cover sounds. It sounds like it may eliminate a lot of those risks and if that's the case towing covered may be the way to go. I'm on my third boat (first Moomba) and it has always been easier for me to tow uncovered. All of my covers were custom, factory covers designed for towing and none of them worked well on the long trips.

KEH
06-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I totally agree with Ian.

I had a similar experience when I picked up my new boat. Dealer happily helped me secure the mooring cover with the straps provided. One hour into a twelve hour drive I checked the security of the cover and to my horror I discovered the straps had burned strips into my gel coat. In addition the upper part of my gel coat had significant rub marks from the cover. The next eleven hours were towed without the cover on with me wondering how much this was gonna cost me. Lucky for me I found a good gel coat repair guy and a few hundred dollars later my boat looked new again. Only after I got home did I read in my manual:

Your mooring cover is not designed for trailering. Trailering
with your cover installed may cause premature cover failure
and boat damage. This damage is not warrantable.

It's right there in black and white.
Being new to boat ownership I was pissed at the dealer for not warning me.
Sure you can tow with the cover and take all kinds of extra precautions, but I never will again.
Sooner or later you are gonna cause some damage.
Wrap the stuff you want to keep the bugs off and pull or secure the cushions that feel too loose.
It's cheaper and less work to clean your boat after a long road trip rather than take it for gel coat repairs or speed hours polishing out rub marks.

phospher
06-26-2012, 02:57 PM
why does it seem people always have issues with their trailer tires? I would expect the tires to be as reliable as car tires. Are the tires of cheaper quality? Do they handle more weight( i have single axle with 2008 Outback DD)? What is it with these things? BTW, we never tow with a cover, if it rains, so be it.

pogofx
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
why does it seem people always have issues with their trailer tires? I would expect the tires to be as reliable as car tires. Are the tires of cheaper quality? Do they handle more weight( i have single axle with 2008 Outback DD)? What is it with these things? BTW, we never tow with a cover, if it rains, so be it.

I think most of it has to due with the suspension. Trailers don't have a suspension like a car and therefore the tires take more abuse. I have a single axle trailer as well and that makes this issue even worse. Take a look back at your tires when your going over bumps and you'll see how much the sidewalls flex. That takes it toll on the tires. On a car, the suspension would be absorbing more of those impacts instead of the tires. If I had the money to upgrade to a dual axle, I would.