PDA

View Full Version : Surfer Girl

Bombguy
06-18-2012, 07:33 PM
I know I don't post often, but some things ya just gotta share. Last year my baby girl rode the wakeboard, this year she surfs....well, almost

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Get her a kids-sized board and "almost" will turn into "always!"

Love seeing them having fun on the water.

Bombguy
06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
I grew up on the ocean, I thought that was a kid sized board...

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 08:05 PM
How big is that one?

My 12 & 10 yr old girls are on a 44" Lakewakes board.

Bombguy
06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
I think it's 43". but not positive. Does it look too big for her? My wife rides it, she's like 5'7". I was kidding about thinking it was kid sized. We're new at the surfing thing, hell, fairly new at wakeboarding. I have gotten fairly good at shaping the wake for the riders. I appreciate the input. She's 8, and I have a 4 year old son that will probably at least start skiing next season.

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
It's all perspective from the pic
and maybe I'm still under the effects of a week in Vegas.

They don't get much smaller than that size. Do you know the brand & model?

Glad you all are having fun! Where are you in AL?

KG's Supra24
06-18-2012, 08:30 PM
That's a hyperlite swell, right? There are much easier boards for her to ride. That is a skim style and more squirly than most.

That's awesome, though! Congrats to her.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Ah, you're reading my mind, KG! Must be b/c I'm flying over the great state of AR right now.

Bombguy
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
We have a place on Smith Lake. I think it is a Hyperlite. I'm open to any suggestions on an easier riding board. The wife bought that one online at an end of year sale or something just to try out. Everyone totally digs trying to surf, so a suggestion for a better/easier to ride board would be well received.

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Everybody has their preference. My girls like a surf style board better as its more bouyant. There are some great ones out there from Shredd Stixx and The Walker Project, but they'll run you $600. We have the girls custom made by LakeWakes for $450.

Here is a quick video of my 10 yr on her newest one.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1ea2sLha6dQ

Bombguy
06-18-2012, 08:46 PM
NICE! I need you to come and teach me how to make that wake! The rider is good too. LOL

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
You need to come to the Sinclair Jam in July and you & the family can get all kinds of tips from how to set up your boat to surfing to which beer goes best with which activity you're doing.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18076-2012-Skier-s-Choice-Sinclair-Jam-July-14-in-Milledgeville-GA

KG's Supra24
06-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Sinclair Jam would def be a good place for you to learn some tips.

I would suggest giving the board Drew's girls ride a sample. (yep, i just offered up your board Drew) It will give you an idea of how different it can be. They Hyperlite Broadcast is a popular boat board and doubt you could go wrong there.

The issue with the swell isn't so much the size as it is the style of board. It is a skim style board and def hard to learn on. Once surfing and the movement "clicks", then the Swell can be a fun board but it is tough for beginners (speaking from experience)

wolfeman131
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Absolutely! That's part of the fun. Everyone is cool with letting others try their stuff with the understanding that if you break it, you bought it. We have several grom boards she can try and many (too many!) others that you and your wife can try. I'm also working with LakeWakes and Pull Watersports to have demo wakebaords and surfboards available for folks to demo.

The beer sponsors have yet to reply, but I feel that is mostly due to my ignorance and mentioning that kaneboats will be in attendance. :)

kaneboats
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Those wimpy beer distributors named me "the human vortex". I told them their trucks are just too dang small.