PDA

View Full Version : Wake boarding

fyrfytr08
06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
What is the best length if ski rope to use behind a outback to get the best pop of the wake

KSmith
06-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Zero. Ski ropes have way too much stretch for wakeboarding. Buy a multi-segment non-stretch wakeboard rope. Say one with 55 feet main line and 3 or more take offs. Should get you a range of length between 55 and 70-75. Then you have length options to find the best spot to match your wake.

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Then you have length options to find the best spot to match your wake.

Which will depend on how many people and/or ballast you add to the boat.

maxpower220
06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Your ski rope is fine. Since you are asking, I assume that you aren't the wake master on a board. Line length will be a variable based on your preferred boat speed. The wake will narrow as speed increases at any given point. So, if you ride at 18 and your friend rides at 22, you will probably need different line lengths. To learn wake to wake jumps, you may like to have a shorter rope length so that the wake will be narrower. As you get more comfortable and learn how to board better, your line length will get longer and your boat speed may increase. You should always ride at a comfortable speed for you. It doesn't matter if that is 16 and "everyone" else is riding at 23.

fyrfytr08
06-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the help

New Guy
06-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Your ski rope is fine. Since you are asking, I assume that you aren't the wake master on a board. Line length will be a variable based on your preferred boat speed. The wake will narrow as speed increases at any given point. So, if you ride at 18 and your friend rides at 22, you will probably need different line lengths. To learn wake to wake jumps, you may like to have a shorter rope length so that the wake will be narrower. As you get more comfortable and learn how to board better, your line length will get longer and your boat speed may increase. You should always ride at a comfortable speed for you. It doesn't matter if that is 16 and "everyone" else is riding at 23.

I completely disagree with the line. Having a stretch line will make it very difficult to get your fundamentals down. Sure you can ride with one but it will make it hard to be consistent.

Even something like this would be considerable better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airhead-Spectra-Thermal-Wakeboard-Rope-AHWR-4-/360455692185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ecd55f99

parrothd
06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I completely disagree with the line. Having a stretch line will make it very difficult to get your fundamentals down. Sure you can ride with one but it will make it hard to be consistent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airhead-Spectra-Thermal-Wakeboard-Rope-AHWR-4-/360455692185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ecd55f99

Ditto...Not to mention the handle is usually thicker and more cushion.. :)

dusty2221
06-19-2012, 07:21 PM
I also would suggest a non stretch wake line. Sure, back in the early days folks used their daddy's slalom ski line, now that things have advanced there is no reason to not pick up one if you can.

Evo gear has an outlet and some decent setups.

Back to the question, more ballast requires more speed for a clean wake. I ride at 70 or 75 at 23-24 depending on water. My wife rides at 22.5 & 65 with the same weight in the boat. You can always shorten the line and slow down, which is a big help while learning. Depending in the skill level, get someone on the line at 60 & adjust the speed to the point where the wake is clean on the side being hit.

motosno963
06-20-2012, 04:39 PM
what i like to do is sit in the back seat and watch the wake as someones driving and once i see the sweet spot ill see where we are at on speed also and when its my turn ill go off that and adjust a little to my liking..also if you want a nice wake rope it will probably run you at least $40 on up into the $120's

rca
06-20-2012, 04:42 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airhead-Spec...item53ecd55f99

Ditto...Not to mention the handle is usually thicker and more cushion.. :)

I've got that exact line and love it for wakeboarding. Funny, my wife is a slalom skier and she prefers this to the old stretchy ski line as well. Feels more precise to her.

Ron