PDA

View Full Version : Another anchor/mooring question

z28ke
06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
We are taking the boat to my friends family's house at White Lake this weekend. They have a pier but I don't know if there will be room to tie up my boat overnight. The bottom is sand and I'm not sure if my 4 prong anchor will hold if it gets windy. The water is shallow near the pier so I can put in a spike/screw but don't have experience with them or know what to get. I'd prefer to not put much money in it since this might be the only time it gets used. What do you guys recommend?

E4NASH
06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
My best suggestion but not the cheapest is a Small Box Anchor and anchor buddy. Both can be purchased from Overtons. That is the best combo I have ever used. Anchor buddy is PERFECT for anchoring off shore. What I do is drop my box anchor with Anchor buddy attached and then tie the rear of the boat off with a line to the pier/shore. Anchor buddy retracts and pulls the boat back out to it's anchor point safely from shore or the dock. Then when you want to get back in pull your line that is tied to the shore or the dock and it will bring the boat to you and step onto your boat. The box anchor would be the last anchor you will ever need.

pogofx
06-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I use the anchor buddy off the front with a line in back tied to shore also. Works great. Never tried overnight though.

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 07:05 PM
If you don't decide to follow the above and go with a spike in the shore, look up Razzmans how to using a piece of rebar vs buying something fancy.

However, if you decide to go fancy, check out any of Dusty's posts.

z28ke
06-21-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't want to put that much money in a box anchor since my current anchor holds well in the conditions of my usual lake. My buddies plan is to bury a few cinder blocks in the sand. The water is shallow so we can use a shovel to get them relatively deep. I'd throw out my regular anchor on another line just to back it up. Do you guys think the cinder blocks will hold with a sand bottom? Thanks for the replies!

chawk610
06-22-2012, 10:03 AM
When we have tied to shore we use a doggie tie off thingy.

E4NASH
06-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Now that is a great idea...I need to get one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
06-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Yup, whenever you're undecided, doggie is the way to go.

chawk610
06-22-2012, 11:22 AM
^^ LOL... it's Friday

wolfeman131
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM

And that's how one ends up with 6 kids!

WaterBullDawg1980
06-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Ha! Speechless.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2