PDA

View Full Version : Carpet for hoist bunks

jmvotto
06-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Where the best place to get carpet for Hoist bunks? and galvanized or stainless staples

i have to add another 2 x6 to get the clearance i need when the water is lower, to make sure i dont bang one of the fins.

lsvboombox
06-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Where the best place to get carpet for Hoist bunks? and galvanized or stainless staples

i have to add another 2 x6 to get the clearance i need when the water is lower, to make sure i dont bang one of the fins.

Most boat shops carry the bunk carpets and home depot has stainless steel staples

And dont completely wrap the bunks, leave like an inch exposed underneath so the bunks can dry out easy or they will rot quickly

Stazi
06-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I bought the coloured outdoor carpet from Lowes. It's the same stuff that was on my bunks as I bought it.

maxpower220
06-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Lowes/HD usually carry a carpet that can be used and they have stainless or monel staples. I haven't seen galvanized staples.
Walmart, boat and trailer stores, and large sporting goods (Dicks, West marine) will also carry the carpet.

The carpet is to protect the boat, as said before, don't wrap the entire bunk.

wolfeman131
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
I bought the coloured outdoor carpet from Lowes.

Same here - the gray stuff that's like $0.53 per sq ft. Comes off a 12 ft wide roll, so 2-3 ft is more than enough for the job. I fold it under itself along the bunks and use galvanized roofing nails to secure to the wood bunks.

I keep some extra and put between the trailer axels and the concrete blocks I use to keep the tires off the ground while the boat is on the lift for the season.

FWIW, A neighbor of mine swears using firehose is the best.

jmvotto
06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Same here - the gray stuff that's like $0.53 per sq ft. Comes off a 12 ft wide roll, so 2-3 ft is more than enough for the job. I fold it under itself along the bunks and use galvanized roofing nails to secure to the wood bunks.

I keep some extra and put between the trailer axels and the concrete blocks I use to keep the tires off the ground while the boat is on the lift for the season.

FWIW, A neighbor of mine swears using firehose is the best.

I may want to extend the bunks fom 12 ft o 14 ft to give it extra support fr the xlv.

Fire hose is old school. I used to see that lining permanent docks as a bumper type material