PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help a buddy troubleshoot...

TL7
06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Buddy of mine just called with a boat issue. It's an early 2000 Tige 21i direct drive I believe, so if this is off limits mods please delete. I figure we've all been there before so I like to try to help when I can.

The info I got from him was he was cruising along fine at about 20-25 mph, met a boat and when he crossed the oncoming boat's wake, he developed a strong vibration. Limped back to the dock, and there was no prop damage (visible). Any ideas of what to look for? Not much to go on, but I figured any ideas are better than none.

I've heard of prop burn before but not sure exactly what it is. Possible that the prop was close to failing and the jolt from the wake did the trick? He has another (original) prop that I told him to swap out first thing tomorrow to eliminate the prop, but wanted to see if anyone thought of other issues.

Again I apologize if this is a no-no on this board, but it's definitely not an advertisement and he's a good friend of mine so I wanted to try to help.

brain_rinse
06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
No problem at all trying to help out others. I agree on trying another prop. I'd probably make sure the prop spins smoothly by hand first and that the shaft alignment is still within spec.

KSmith
06-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Did the vibtation go away or did it remain? How hard was the hit to the wake? Like wake what wake, pushed right thru, a bit of a bounce, a pretty good smack, thump thump BANG, bone jaring mind numbing impact.

I would also try the stock prop, but if it does not vibrate with the stock prop the question remains what happened to the other prop? Prop burn in any context I've heard is in regards to cavitation.

kaneboats
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Check the bolts at the coupler and make sure they are tight. May as well check alignment while you're in there. If it's all good, swap out another known good prop and see what you get.