PDA

View Full Version : Boat tripping Circuit Breaker by Distributor

toddmtu
06-17-2012, 05:59 PM
My boat will start up and run for a short period of time then the Breaker will trip. This is after our last time out it died while on our way in and the Breaker was tripped.

Has anyone had this problem before and is it possible that the Circuit Breaker is bad??

toddmtu
06-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Boat is a 2003 Moomba Mobius LSV

chawk610
06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Todd, for what it is worth, I had a Mastercraft before, it was doing this... driving me crazy. Turned out the volt gauge was shorting out. Does it seem to showing a steady charge? Or is it jumping around a bit?

toddmtu
06-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I ran it at the boat launch today and it stayed running. There wasn't any gauges that were jumping around or not working. I did take some things apart and tighten things up so hopefully that was it. I'll find out tomorrow. Going to take it for a ride and have my Uncle come out too just in case.

KSmith
06-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Hey Todd, did you make it back or are you stranded on the lake?

toddmtu
06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I made it back in. I replaced the Circuit Breaker and also found a bare spot on one of my wires going to my iginition switch that had melted it self to another wire. Once that was replaced it has been running great with no problems. We've been able to enjoy the 90 degree days we've been having.

kaneboats
06-24-2012, 02:44 AM
As an FYI for anyone else in older boats I have had bad 12v power outlets. Sometimes either crappy pot metal rusts or they just get water in them and corrode. I've had breaker's trip due to shorts in these things. Just something else to look for.