PDA

View Full Version : BEP VSR are OK and heres why I am a not always smart donkey

ditchsnake
06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
I figured out why my stock bep vsr doesn't work like it should. Yes I have everything wired to my house battery and the starter to numberr 1 (isolated). Read on the BEP spec sheet that their vsr does' nt open until 13.7 volts to charge both batterys. Talked to my Supra dealership and just like my supra most charge at max of 3.4 volts. The system never gets enough voltage to trip dual charge so we must manually set the selector switch to 1&2 to get a charge to both batteries. Skiers choice screw up. Talked to their rep and he said ya your right but I'll have to talk to the tech guys. Nice. Anyways do any of your moomba's charge at a higher voltage than 13.4. If so the factory isolator is ussless. I know there are lots of dual battery threads but do any of you use a vsr that trips the dual charge lower than 3.4

cab13367
06-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Settle down there, ditch. When the engine is running, the system voltage should be around 14.4V which is more than 13.7 which means the VSR should engage and send the charging current to both batteries. Have you put a multimeter to your starting battery when the engine is running to see what the voltage is?

jmvotto
06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
My BEP vsr on my 07 OBV worked great. I added it aftermarket, set it on number 1 and never had a battery problem .

Is this why SC changes to a Blue seas switch( not a VSR or ACR) for the newer models.

brain_rinse
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
I know next to nothing about the BEP setup in my boat (it's set on 1 and has never moved) but I torment my stereo battery and somehow the BEP is getting it charged back up. :)

DOCDRS
06-15-2012, 04:41 PM
I figured out why my stock bep vsr doesn't work like it should. Yes I have everything wired to my house battery and the starter to numberr 1 (isolated). Read on the BEP spec sheet that their vsr does' nt open until 13.7 volts to charge both batterys. Talked to my Supra dealership and just like my supra most charge at max of 3.4 volts. The system never gets enough voltage to trip dual charge so we must manually set the selector switch to 1&2 to get a charge to both batteries. Skiers choice screw up. Talked to their rep and he said ya your right but I'll have to talk to the tech guys. Nice. Anyways do any of your moomba's charge at a higher voltage than 13.4. If so the factory isolator is ussless. I know there are lots of dual battery threads but do any of you use a vsr that trips the dual charge lower than 3.4

You seem confused here....... what is the 3.4 volts all about? Sounds like someone has been talking to you that may not know anything...... what has been said by the others is correct your alternator puts out 14.4 volts at 70 - 90 amps depending on your model. The bep dual sense vsr works great. Sombody been smoking some funny stuff.

MLA
06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
The depth to which you are discharging the house battery will greatly effect the operation of ANY VSR/ACR. The scope of the stereos most of us are putting in our boats, exceeds what is considered normal or usual. Kinda like adding a turbo to a car and wondering why the trans slips. As pointed out, put a volt meter on the system and confirm that its first operating as designed. Then, see if its short comings are due to asking it to go above and beyond its intended design. If so, then turning the switch to Batt-2 or both, is what needs to be done.

ian ashton
06-16-2012, 01:06 PM
I have a Blue Sea ACR and dual digital voltage gauges (1 for each side), and here are my observations;
1. My alternator charges at a steady 14.4v

2. When the ACR combines, you will experience a voltage drop - think of it like averaging 11.5 and 14.4; 12.9

So, when I've ran my stereo battery down too much, when the ACR opens the voltage drop from hitting a totally dead battery causes the ACR to separate, and the only way to get it to charge the stereo battery is to manually combine.

My advise; start your boat every so often when you are partying to get your house battery charged before you totally drain it.

DOCDRS
06-16-2012, 06:33 PM
With the BEP it will stay engaged until the voltage drops below 12.8 volts. So you have to have a completely dead battery that wont accept a charge for this to happen. Running a battery dead is the quickest way to shortens its life. If you have ran a battery dead , then you better start your boat asap and switch the charger to the stereo/house battery to have hope of keeping any longevity in the battery.

mmandley
06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
I understand where your comming from Ditch, as the others have said check your inc Voltage while the boat is running. You might have a weak alternator not supplying the needed 14.4V.

Also if your battery is going bad it wont accept 13.7 volts it will always be bleeding voltage and no matter how much your alternator charges it, it will never read a voltage high enough to allow the BEP to switch over to the other battery.

As for his comment with the 3.4 i think he forgot the 1 = 13.4 LOL

ditchsnake
06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys. Yes it was me that was the dumbass. Checked at the lake and it was charging at 14.4. Not 13.4. Anyways the vsr works great. The dumb ass that hooked it up forgot to hook up the common ground cable between the two batteries. Oh, and that would have been me. Thanks again guys.

wolfeman131
06-23-2012, 10:30 PM
So, should we change the title of this thread?

BTW - I, too, often call myself a dumbass.

Glad you got it all worked out.

04OUTBACK
06-23-2012, 11:39 PM
After replacing #2 battery 2 weeks ago I realized the ground on #2 was not connected. Well blame stereo install guy for that.

ditchsnake
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Yes new thread title " Geno is a dumb ass and BEP makes good stuff" LOL..............
So, should we change the title of this thread?

BTW - I, too, often call myself a dumbass.

Glad you got it all worked out.