PDA

View Full Version : First oil change attempt...questions

E4NASH
06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Ok, so tomorrow I am going to attempt to change my oil as we are now sitting at 54+ hours. I have the remote oil filter so that should help. I have changed oil in cars about 753 times, never in a boat. I figured I could surely do it myself for way less than what the dealer charges. I almost choked when I heard the quote! Do you guys have any tips? I know I have to buy an extractor to get the oil out but where do I extract it from? Same place where you fill it? Can I get the extractor at Auto zone or Walmart? I seem to remember a pic on here at one time of someone's boat with oil draining into a pan from a tube that was coming out of the rear plug above the wakeplate?? Is that right or was I seeing things? Also I assume the owner's manual will tell me what kind of filter and oil to put in. Sorry for the questions....I'm a newb and at the rate we are racking up the hours I will probably have to do this at least once more this summer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moombadaze
06-14-2012, 03:17 PM
My remote drain hose wont fit out the transome drain. Back when I had a direct drive I could do that as the drain was right under the motor and that ws probly the cleanest oil change I ever performed.

I use a extractor and use the drain hose, simple to undue the cap and then stick the extractors hose down till it bottoms out. Filters easy to do-just like a car. Make sure to have a few rags under the filte to catch the spillage. Add some oil to the filter and reinstall.

I can not find the penzoil marine oil so ive been using the rotella brand and one of the name brand filters the auto parts has in stock

rdlangston13
06-14-2012, 03:21 PM
There should be a black hose with a brass plug on it clipped somewhere in the engine compartment. the none plugged end of this hose goes to the bottom of the oil pan. I have a pela 6000 and I run the small black hose from the pela 6000 down the larger black hose that goes to the bottom of the oil pan and extract it that way.

Oil weight is 15w40. I think indmar reccomends penzoil marine oil. Oil filter sizes are listed in a thread on the forum somewhere, if i were on my computer I would post a link for you

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

jmvotto
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
i am going to do the same very shortly.
I bought this extractor,
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=TRAC-7L-Fluid/Oil-Extractor&i=99739&r=view&from=grid

Rotella 15w 40 is currently 13 buck a gallon at wally world.

I bought a mobil 1 oil filter from autozone, the board clearly steered me away from Fram.
wix is also a good brand and can find that at advantage auto ( after the fact find)
watch docs video very helpful.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16610-Oil-Change-Video

check out post #6 for a list of filters
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18221-another-oil-change-thread-filter-wrench&highlight=filter

E4NASH
06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Great tips guys thanks!

I found these in stock at Bass Pro...may pick one of them up tomorrow. Any thoughts on the two?

Manual: http://www.basspro.com/Trac-Fluid-Extractor-Hand-Pump/product/10205457/141130

Auto: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shopsreg;-12V-Oil-Changer/product/1176/43814?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Good call on steering away from Fram. apparently they use Cardboard inside instead of metal. I wouldn't use one either.

4 or 5 qts?

Can the oil be changed after it's been sitting or should it be warm? I've read a that it needs to be hot but when I called Bass pro to check if they had either instock before I drove the 50 miles over there the guy said it could be done with it cold.

E4NASH
06-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Rotella 15w 40 is currently 13 buck a gallon at wally world.

DO NOT use synthetic right?

tnbrooks01
06-14-2012, 04:15 PM
I believe the manual says no synthetic for a certain period of time to allow the rings to seat properly.

I also use a fake a lake and heat my engine up to operating temp to change oil.

FWIW, the 12v extractor from bass pro is junk IMO. I have one and spend more time messing with it to prevent a big mess of oil. I prefer the manual pump hands down.

jmvotto
06-14-2012, 04:15 PM
You need to heat up the oil to engine temp them let it sit a couple minutes. dont use syntehic until 100 hrs according to the manual and you will need approximately 5.5 qts for the 340 or 345 surf engine.
this is what i have read so far...

E4NASH
06-14-2012, 04:35 PM
I believe the manual says no synthetic for a certain period of time to allow the rings to seat properly.

I also use a fake a lake and heat my engine up to operating temp to change oil.

FWIW, the 12v extractor from bass pro is junk IMO. I have one and spend more time messing with it to prevent a big mess of oil. I prefer the manual pump hands down.

Good to know...plus it is $20 cheaper too

You need to heat up the oil to engine temp them let it sit a couple minutes. dont use syntehic until 100 hrs according to the manual and you will need approximately 5.5 qts for the 340 or 345 surf engine.
this is what i have read so far...

Ok, sounds good. I have the 325.

Greg C.
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I've tried draining the engine oil and pulling it out with the extractor. Draining seems to be the way to go for me. The extractor seemed to take longer, not to mention i made a mess with it. It works great on the transmission and v-drive, but i'll be draining my engine oil from now on. Good luck.

moombadaze
06-14-2012, 05:10 PM
dont bother with that electric pump that you linked to--had one, biggest piece of crap i think i have ever bought for a boat related item. leaked oil when it did pump after spending 30 minutes getting it primed.

get a pump that will also catch the oil
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/PEL-PL-650/
this looks like the one ive been using for about 8 yrs, can do the vdrive and trans with it too

rdlangston13
06-14-2012, 06:51 PM
You can do it cold but the oil is much thicker cold and as a result drains slower. Getting engine to operating temp will speed up the process

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

jmb
06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I take the boat out for the day and then come home and change the oil. Oil is already warm from running it that day.

kaneboats
06-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Steal one of the wife's freezer bags and put it around the oil filter after you break it loose. Then you can catch it in there and seal it right up. No mess to clean up.

jmvotto
06-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Steal one of the wife's freezer bags and put it around the oil filter after you break it loose. Then you can catch it in there and seal it right up. No mess to clean up.
Agreed. Use a gallon bag

wolfeman131
06-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I just use the Wallyworld bags I carried the oil & filter home in. Drop the filter, tie them off tight (double bagged) and toss over the side.

kaneboats
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I toss them over the fence in the neighbor's yard. The Wallyworld bags have holes in the corners. Not recommended unless you double/triple bag. Will remind you of your drunk college days.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I toss them over the fence in the neighbor's yard. The Wallyworld bags have holes in the corners. Not recommended unless you double/triple bag. Will remind you of your drunk college days.

There were times that was the best course of action. :beer::eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tnbrooks01
06-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I use large ziploc type freezer bags. Wrap strap wrench around filter and bag. I found the hole in my Walmart bag on first oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk