PDA

View Full Version : Need a wake surfing wave for my Outback

amonteroman
07-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Help, I thought I did all of the research needed, but apparently not. I have an 04 Outback, I got the Fresh Air Exhaust, 700 pounds of ballast, the board, rope, etc. My kids, my wife and myself were anticipating a giant wave....didn't happen, we had to hold on to the rope for the entire ride. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, we had a blast even though we could not do any "free ride". but looking forward to it if we can make our wave bigger.

SoTX
07-07-2005, 08:39 AM
I free ride surf behind my 04 Outback all the time. What I do is put a 800lb balast across the back and 550lb balast on the drivers side as we are all goofy footed. Then I get two guys to sit on the drivers side, one on the balast and one on the sundeck. If there are any more in the boat I have them sit in the middle or in the front on the drivers side. Perfect speed is 9.8 mph on my boat. I use a hand held GPS for the speed.
The key is weight on the side of the boat you are surfing on. You may need a couple more people to go with you for more weight.
I usually take 4 or 5 of the biggest guys that work for me as extra weight then teach them to surf and we all have a blast and a half.
Hope this helps.

amonteroman
07-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks SoTx, I had a feeling I needed more weight but I was worried that I would max out, or go over the weight limit for the boat, my wife is very concerned about this.she says "they wouldn't say 1450 pound limit for no reason!". Sounds like you don't have any problems with about 2,000 pounds.

SoTX
07-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Yes I over load my boat to the point that the rubber bumper on the back corner is at about the water level. Now I also surf on a river lake where there is never any chop and I am very carful and take my time turning etc...

MEDIC151
07-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I have an o2 mobius dd and after several attempts at getting the wave right, we finally did. I found that if I empty my rear ballast and just use the people in the boat, I actually got a much better wave. I didn't think that it was possible, but I am freeriding alot. I did discover that with my trick board they weren't lying when they said that you have to have a clean wave. A foamy wave just didn't do it for me, but I can get a monster clean wave at 9.5 mph and really get a good ride.

My boat has the same setup as the outback. The only difference in that year was the options to get cage and ballast, or at tleast that is what the dealer said. My capacity sticker says outback ls/mobius on it.

Medic

SoTX
07-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I have since traded in my Outback 3 weeks ago for a new XLV Gravity Games edition. I ordered the 3 bag balast system but it aint in yet so I have been skiing and wakeboarding only behind my new boat. I am chomping at the bit to surf it. just looking at this boat and how it sits in the water and the amount of weight it will hold I have no doubt that this bad boy will throw a monster wave. I am hoping for a wave that will let me ride as far as 15' back from the boat. I can't wait........

Also ditto what Medic said about a clean wave. You want the right speed and weight that will give you a nice clean wave with no foam and even a nice curl at the top......sweeeeet

amonteroman
07-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I think next I will try a combination of SoTX's and Medic's advise, alot of ballst and no ballast. My plan is to place the 700 pound sack next to the engine on whatever side were surfing on, my family is a combination of regulars and goofys. It sounds like the most important factor is weighting the side of the boat, not really the total amount of weight in the boat. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the input.

SkiHard
07-28-2005, 03:06 PM
A word of caution from someone with a VAST amount of boating experience, I would NEVER intentionally run a boat listing, ESPECIALLY if the boat is already overloaded... One nice sharp wave on the low side of that boat and you'll be nice and wet, if not underwater... But if you're gonna do it anyway, please be carefull....

amonteroman
07-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the "heads up". I am kind of weary about loading the boat up too much. I have been hearing that V-drives make a better wake for surfing, any thoughts on that. If so it is a good excuse to buy a new boat.

SkiHard
07-29-2005, 12:45 PM
As far as I've read, V-drives generally have the capability to make larger wakes, due to the fact that the weight of the engine is right at the stern of the boat.

NC05LSV
07-29-2005, 10:10 PM
It is much easier to make a good surf wake with a V drive. The engine gives you a lot of built in ballast that DD would have to compensate for. I have the Gravity games ballast III in mine and I still have to add additional ballast to get where I want the wake. I have also been on an X7 that was a DD that had a great surf wake but we weighed the heck out of it. Good luck in your search

amonteroman
07-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the input. No question about it, I need a new Mobius XLV. I guess I'd better start looking at the "New boats pricing posts"

SkiHard
07-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by amonteroman

Thanks for the input. No question about it, I need a new Mobius XLV. I guess I'd better start looking at the "New boats pricing posts"

Haha, well in that case, I'll take that outback off your hands.