PDA

View Full Version : New board? LF Watson Classic?

txduckman07
06-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I've decided it's time for a new board setup. I've been using eBay specials for the past 10 years. Finally had an opportunity to go to a board shop today. I really like the Watson Classic with Vantage bindings. I currently ride a Hyperlite 3DS 139 with Ronix Scout bindings. I'm sold on the Velcro closure bindings...after the Scouts I was done with laces...mainly because of ease of exit. Currently I would classify myself as a comfortable W2W rider looking to progress to some spins and later inverts. I need some help deciding on board length as the 19-year-old in the pro shop was less than helpful. LF lists the 134 for 100-180 lbs. 138 for 140-225. I am currently 5'10" 165 lbs. (ideally 155 if that matters). I feel like my 139 Hyperlite is a bit heavy, but that may have more to do with the model than the length. Obviously my weight falls in the range of either size. What are the advantages of shorter/lighter vs. longer/slightly heavier? Any input is appreciated.

bzubke1
06-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Just started riding a Liquid Force harley 139. Absoloutely loving it! I came from a watson 143 which I really liked too, but the harley just pops me more straight up than the watson does. I'm pretty much 100% wake to wake very rarely take anything into the flats, so the board suits me well. Spins have also become easier, now I'm not sure if that is due to the board change or the smaller/lighter board.

tnbrooks01
06-11-2012, 09:39 PM
I've decided it's time for a new board setup. I've been using eBay specials for the past 10 years. Finally had an opportunity to go to a board shop today. I really like the Watson Classic with Vantage bindings. I currently ride a Hyperlite 3DS 139 with Ronix Scout bindings. I'm sold on the Velcro closure bindings...after the Scouts I was done with laces...mainly because of ease of exit. Currently I would classify myself as a comfortable W2W rider looking to progress to some spins and later inverts. I need some help deciding on board length as the 19-year-old in the pro shop was less than helpful. LF lists the 134 for 100-180 lbs. 138 for 140-225. I am currently 5'10" 165 lbs. (ideally 155 if that matters). I feel like my 139 Hyperlite is a bit heavy, but that may have more to do with the model than the length. Obviously my weight falls in the range of either size. What are the advantages of shorter/lighter vs. longer/slightly heavier? Any input is appreciated.

As I'm sure you are aware of you will get many different opinions in regard to board size and the mfgr. recommendations are worthless IMO. I think features in the base are more important than board size. Such as: built in fins, 3 stage rocker vs. continuous rocker, channels built into the base, etc.... With that said I would def go on the side of a bigger board rather than smaller. My son is 12yrs old 5'2" and 100lbs and currently rides a LF Harley 131 which he likes because it boots him straight up where the Watson is a little more mellow rocker. Based solely on your size I would go in the 137-139 range.

Something to think about is do you ride cable at all? If so, you will shred the Watson Classic in a hurry and its not made in a Grind base. If you do ride or plan to ride cable the LF Witness Grind is a great all around board for boat and cable with out getting into the hybrids.