PDA

View Full Version : WHICH PROPELLER

Patton
07-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Bought a red/white Moomba Outback standard at Denny's Marine in Albany, KY. Boat is couple years old and I bought it brand new. I'm questioning the boat's top end speed and wondering if a more efficient propeller might help it. I'm not certain what size propeller came with the boat, but I am really wanting it to perform better in regards to top end speed. It comes out of the hole great but I would rather have more top-end speed than hole shot quickness. Has anyone here ever replaced their Moomba standard propeller? If so, which type and kind of propeller would you guys/gals prefer? Another frustrating thing is the terrible gas mileage my boat is getting now. I only have 29 hours on the boat, but I guarantee you I've put damn near $5k worth of gas in this boat. Would a better propeller help in this frustrating area too? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Buttafewcoe
07-06-2005, 06:11 PM
General Patton,
You've prolly got the 350 roller motor, w/ carb.............with the hull config like it is, you could, theoretically, prop it for more top end and get it. But it IS a ski boat, made for hole shots and pulling. If you wanted gas milage, you should have bought you one of those sterndrives with the 3.0 4 cyl merc or volvo. You are talking more top end which will prolly use even more gas.
Hope this helps
Butta

Patton
07-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks a lot for the information, I really do appreciate it. Was browsing the Acme props as well as a few others. From reading numerous posts, I've realized that my gas mileage might not be as bad as I thought due to the faulty gas gauge that's apparently installed on my boat. In regards to the fuel gauge, do you happen to know if it gives an accurate reading while the boat is completely stationary? Like others, my gas gauge bounces all over the place while the boat is actually in motion. It bounces anywhere from 3/4 to 1/4 while driving.

I've actually had my eye on another boat that probably performs much better on a top end basis, but I would give up on some quickness coming out of the hole. Anybody have a rough estimate on what a 2003 Moomba Outback would be worth? I hate to say it, but the boat has less than 30 hours on it, and I bought a lift to keep it on when I have it at the lake. In the offseason I've had it stored inside a storage facility with yearly maint. done every year. It's red/white with a Kenwood Sirius Satellite radio/CD player. Boat is in immaculate condition with a tad bit of wear on the ski platform. Only problem I've had with it is the circuit for the stereo burning up. Fortunately, my local marine dealership was able to order it, and I've since had it replaced and works like a gem.

My intentions are to get a bigger boat due to an increase in family size. My kids would rather tube than ski or wakeboard so the boat I have is a tad too much. Besides here, are there any other places to post used Moomba boats for sale?

qb12
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Patton, Boattradersonline.com is a very good place to sell your boat. You can also use that to get a idea of what your boat is worth. Also NADA.com can be used to "somewhat" determine a value on your boat. I have a 02 Outback and love it. We take 6 to the lake all the time and have no problem with room. We ski, wakeboard and I hate to say tube and have a great time.

In regards to the fuel guage, there is not a boat made that they work worth a crap. Everyone I talke to from MC, Malibu and so forth all have the same problem. I have just learned to plan on burning somewhere from 5 to 6 gallons per hour and base it off that.

danielson2fat
07-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Patton,
I don't know if you have already done so, but if you want to post your boat for sale on this site, put it under the "Classifieds" folder. When you first click on the "Communities" link off the home page, it toward the bottom. You should get more exposure there, if you haven't already.