PDA

View Full Version : coupler shear

tdszymb
06-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I hit a rock @2500 rpms with the prop. The prop has a little chip, but the shaft and prop don't turn. the v-drive turns upto the coupler is there some type of shear pin or is the coupler just broke. Any thing else I should check for.

KSmith
06-11-2012, 07:42 AM
What year and model of boat? What type of VDrive is it?

maxpower220
06-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Check your rudder, as it may have gotten damage in the shaft or rudder box. You will need to check the prop shaft for straightness as it may have warped on impact. V drive tranny will need an inspection once the other stuff has been repaired/replaced.

You may want to price it out and maybe contact your insurance company. This may get expensive, fast.

kaneboats
06-11-2012, 10:14 AM
If you had a strike at 2500 RPM I can almost guarantee you will need a prop (repair), a new strut and a new shaft. You can order the parts and replace yourself. Elberts Marine can get you a replacement shaft cheaper than just about anyone else. Your old one may be able to be straightened but many times not. Here's a link to Elberts:

http://www.elberts.com/index.htm

If you buy a shaft from him, you will need to replace the collar bolts because his collar is a different thickness at the flange. You should replace these bolts and the nylock nuts anyway. You do not have to remove the v-drive b/c you can reach around on the port side and just have someone turn the shaft till you can reach each of the 4 bolts. Good luck!

Oh yeah, most likely you will need two long open end wrenchs for the bolts on the collar. There's no room for a socket and you can't really slide a box wrench between the bolts and the coupler if my memory serves me correctly. Have fun!