PDA

View Full Version : Mobius LSV Wake

rca
06-10-2012, 11:13 PM
OK,

So I know this is a really subjective question, but hows the wake on a LSV for slalom skiing? Mind you we are recreational skiers and will be coming from an I/O, so that is our comparison. My wife is the big slalom skier in the family and usually skis at about 30mph.

We are looking at the LSV for size and because I like to wakeboard and my girls want to learn to surf. Hopefully we can get all that out of one boat.

I'm looking at a 2011 or 2012 LSV right now. We will definitely demo one before purchasing too.

Thoughts? Thanks for the input.

Ron

wolfeman131
06-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Get one with a wake plate, put the plate down to help lift the back of the boat out of the water, move people to the bow and you will have a serviceable slalom wake. Certainly not tournament quality, but good for recreational skiing.

Easy trade off IMO as you can't even compare the wakeboard wake to an I/O and you can't surf at all.

Where are you located Ron?

rca
06-11-2012, 12:46 AM
We are in Sugar Land, TX, outside of Houston. Looks like a couple of people on here are pretty close to us. We mainly run the San Bernard River a little south of us.

Definitely looking at the LSV with the wake plate and some ballast. Thanks for the input.

KSmith
06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Don't discount the Outback V. It is only a foot and a half shorter and 100 pounds lighter than the LSV, and puts down a good crossover slalom wake when equipt with the wakeplate. Check out the 2001 Outback V Multisport video.
http://www.moomba.com/video/

kaneboats
06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I'd lay even money the LSV wake with the plate is as good as or better than your I/O wake. But, the surfing and wakeboarding would be worth it anyway as it is good enough. You'll also find your wife gets more into the surfing and wakeboarding once you get this boat. It's the finest "do everything" boat you can get.

saskie99
06-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I have and 05 lsv same hull as new outback, and I do think that my wake is very poor for slalom skiing. It is workable but I used to have an older malibu sunsetter direct drive, and there was no comparison on the wake. If you try and be aggressive with my new boat get ready for small hard falls. It is awesome for wakeboarding and surfing but slalom skiing well let say I my only ride a few times a year behind it.

KSmith
06-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Actually the 05 LSV would have the same hull as the 06-08 Outback V. From 2009 to Current the Outback V has a new hull. The Outback DD is a great slalom boat!

wolfeman131
06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Above is correct regarding model years and hull design. And, you simply can't compare a DD wake to a Vdrive wake. They are different animals. If you're looking for boats that do it all well, then the advice on the OBV and LSV are spot on.

jmvotto
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Above is correct regarding model years and hull design. And, you simply can't compare a DD wake to a Vdrive wake. They are different animals. If you're looking for boats that do it all well, then the advice on the OBV and LSV are spot on.

Thought my 07 OBV was a pretty decent slalom wake, ithink a member her in IN runs the OG OBV through the courses no problem. The lsv will be very recreation skiing without the hard cuts.. my .02

wolfeman131
06-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Agreed, JV. With the plate down, peeps to the front and 30+ mph, I had a friend who used to perform at Sea World tell me the wake was just fine for slalom skiing. But, it's all what one is used to when comparing. I don't slalom, so my opinion isn't worth much.

moombadaze
06-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Its all about compromise, pure and simple.

If boarding/surfing is the main thing with recreational skiing, then go LSV for room or a Outback V for a slightly smaller package

If skiing is the main thing with boarding being second and no surfing, then go Outback.

moombacraze
06-11-2012, 05:27 PM
I had a 19ft Bayliner, the water ski wake on my LSV is hands down better than the wake on the I/O Bayliner.

wolfeman131
06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Kurt,

I just flew over your house! Knocking back a few cocktails now on the short flight to Vegas!

rca
06-11-2012, 06:34 PM
We are going to demo the LSV tomorrow so I'll report back what my wife thinks. Any major differnces between the 2011 and 2012 LSV's?

Ron

moombacraze
06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=I just flew over your house! Knocking back a few cocktails now on the short flight to Vegas![/QUOTE]

Wolfeman,

Enjoy your time in Vegas. Post lots of pics of your time at Mead.

skiyaker
06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
rca take your ski and rope on the demo- try some different speeds and rope lengths. I've not skied an LSV but my 2008OBV wake is better at 22 off than 15 off and better the faster you go. The V-Drive is leaps ahead of the Bass Tracker party deck 21 I used to ski behind but not as good as the 19 foot "course boat" I acquired this year just to feed my addiction.

PatL
06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Skiyaker every time this discussion comes up I start considering the Outback V for wakesurf, wakeboarding, and hanging out...Looks like u've solved the problem... dedicated slalom boat. There are many aspects of a V drive that are appealing but just havent been able to get past the slalom wake tradeoff. The Outback has an excellent wake at about every line length. Seems like maybe a 2nd Moomba is the strategy...

skiyaker
06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Pat now you're talking! An outback with a Mojo on the side. The hardest part is trying to explain to my friends and neighbors why it is that I own 2 boats. Part of it is that I ski as soon as the ice melts so when I looked at trading for a new outback it was going to need a heater plus zero off, so for the same amount I could trade up to a new outback I just bought a second boat that came complete with heater, hot shower, star gazer. Nothing about slalom addiction is rational though.

PatL
06-11-2012, 09:54 PM
So True!!! we are on same wave length because I was thinking Mojo and Outback... Its hard not too after looking at pics of wolfeman's new ride over under Pride & Joy. That thing is sick... I will say if I had all to do over again I'd go close bow dedicated tractor and wakeboard boat though. One of my buds has a sweet 92 Prostar...soft wake and tracks great...no room for anything but 3 skis and skiers though...I hear ya on the friends and neighbors...most of mine cant figure why I'm on the water whenever possible...adding the 2nd boat will (note the "will" think positive) really get them talking...

jmvotto
06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Or have a friend that as he addiction and willing to share sets on the course boat , upside that's why I got the xlv, downside there nautique took my spot in the double dock next to the x 45 at the the other end of the lake ...
Obv wake is nice , course boat is almost non existent.:)