PDA

View Full Version : De-Winterizing Question

Kidder522
06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Hello All,

Just have a question for all the Sr. Members who de-winterize their own boats. I have put all the plugs, hose clamps, drains, etc. back in their place. My Question is, now that it is all done, is it just a matter of going to the lake and starting it up? I will do my regular start up routine, but without any water in the block, is there anything special I have to do? Last season I had Martin Motor Sports do this, so I am very novice in the whole doing it myself thing.

Also, should I put a little Teflon tape on the block plug or just leave the bare threads.

Thank you for any information.

Richard

deerfield
06-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Richard - First, take another look at your engine. Are all clamps tight? Are all plugs and drains back in place and snug? It's redundant, but a good idea. You may have missed something the first time around.

Second, with that done, it's just a matter of going to the lake and starting it up. Stay close to shore or dock, open the motor box, and look for any signs of water leaking. Also, check to see that no oil is leaking from the filter seal. If all looks good and the engine temperature has reached normal operating range, take her out and get her up to speed. Bring her back to idle and check one more time for leaks. If none, then you are good to go.

Regarding the block drain plugs, I recommend you use teflon tape. Helps ensure a tight seal without over tightening the threads. - Stuart

Kidder522
06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Thank you for the tips. I second guessed myself about the Teflon Tape. I put the plug in, took it out, put some on and then took it back off again. I am about to make a check list in excel to make sure that I have put everything back in place.

Thanks again.

Mikey
06-09-2012, 09:36 PM
As mentioned above ,yes thats all fine or if you have a flush connection or fake a lake,try that before you leave home and fire it up,.Depending on how boat was winterized this will flush the antifreeze IF USED out before dumping into the lake,as well. You can try to retrieve this or not your choice,most dealers use ecofriendly versions?
Yes teflon should be used ,and yes still go through the same proceedure first time on water ,for piece of mind if anything.

MLA
06-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I would recommend that you do the initial start of the season in the driveway with a water source. This prevents you from being "that guy" at the ramp with a boat that wont start and tieing up a lane. If there are any issues such as a dead battery, water leak, etc, you can address it at the house. Then, hit the lake for a shake-down run.

2nd, Ive been doing this for 15 years and have yet to understand why shops leave boats disassebled during winterizing, requiring futher work in the spring. I have yet to return a customer's boat, or mine for that metter, that wasnt turn-key ready come spring. We can ride year-round here, so I leave my boat ready for a warm winter day. Once we are done riding, it takes 10 minutes to pull the plugs and drain the block again....I do it right there on the ramp. All the regular lay-up services, such as an oil-change and fuel conditioner, are always done in the fall, but come spring the boat is ready to go when the owner is.

kaneboats
06-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Great questions, great thread. But my question is, June 9? JUNE 9TH???? I'd have died by now up there.

chawk610
06-11-2012, 10:01 AM
^^ I was thinking the same thing. :) I reckon if you live up there you have fun on your snowmobile till the (3) day boating season starts!

zabooda
06-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I got mine dewinterized last week but I don't plan to use it until the 4th of July week and then I will have three weeks on the water. I like my water warm.

jmb
06-11-2012, 07:50 PM
OMG!! I'm from Spokane and that why I don't live there anymore. Got to have my boat fix and for that I have to live in the South. Tornado or no tornado. Debateable though

Kidder522
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I know, June 9th!!! Weather has been the craps around here, lots of rain and my job has been really nuts. It kills me to see it in the driveway. I plan on hitting the water this weekend, if the rain holds off. I plan on hitting the launch at 8 am, so around here, I will be the only one for a couple of hours.

Thanks for all your advice.

Richard

Mikey
06-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Mine has been dewinterized and cleaned and polished etc,since start of may... But as mentioned our weather has been really crappy lately,By Our standards ,not yours...Hopefully this weekend will finally be nice,i'm dieng to go out as well. Water temps may be past drysuit temps and gone on to wetsuit temps ,but air temps have been really low and wind and rain.

Enough already,we have short summers already ,please let us enjoy whats left of it???

kaneboats
06-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Man, wishing you guys the best up there. Plenty of days I wish I could send you some of the heat. We're in the June pattern now with rain almost every day so you have to pick your spots. Of course, it's 85 and sunny when it's not raining and up to 92 or so if it stays sunny for a few hours. Hard to complain.

Kidder522
06-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well, got to boat launch this am at 8.30, put the plug in and She started right up. No leaks, Oil good and drains held strong. Got out onto water and within 5 minutes, the rain came. It was a short 30 minute ride in the rain, but the main purpose was getting it out with no issues.

Thank you for all your help, and I am looking forward to getting the boards and skis on next time on the water.

Richard

Cigars n scotch
06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Man, wishing you guys the best up there. Plenty of days I wish I could send you some of the heat. We're in the June pattern now with rain almost every day so you have to pick your spots. Of course, it's 85 and sunny when it's not raining and up to 92 or so if it stays sunny for a few hours. Hard to complain.

I would complain about consistent rain in June. Hope those nice hot sunny days are on the weekend for you unless you are able to get out during the week.

Oh and you MUST invest in a fake a lake. I'd much rather find a issue in the driveway rather than at the ramp and have to tow all the way home. At least for ensuring water is flowing through the intakes and the impeller and hoses aren't leaking. Very cheap assurance.