PDA

View Full Version : another oil change thread, filter wrench?

jmvotto
06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Need to do my break oil change on the new xlv, dealer is too far away and the guy that did my last one moved his shop off the lake so i am not about to put it on the trailer if i don't have to. so i can save 50 b ucks by doing it myself in 30 or so minutes and have an extractore for other toys.....

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=TRAC-7L-Fluid/Oil-Extractor&i=99739&r=view&from=grid

Rotella T 15w40 at walmart 13 bucks a gallon

fram oil filter Fram PH10060 ( pzl 167 alternative)

question whats the best oil filter wrench for a reasonable price, the chain, cap or plier style?

Cigars n scotch
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I've always found the chain to work best for me or the regular band style. It's very easy to change your oil and worth it IMO.

kaneboats
06-08-2012, 09:02 AM
I use the old strap/band style. If it doesn't work I go to the messy long screwdriver method. That's why I like to do my changes myself. No reason to overtighten anything. If there's a seal, you can feel the seal getting pressed in. Stop there when tightening. If there's a gasket, stop when you crush down the gasket. My Dad was the guy outside in the dark trying to drill the broken drill bit out of the water pump after he broke a bolt off. Why the he77 would you overtighten a water pump bolt???? Sorry for the rant. Yes, do this stuff yourself. Makes for a happier Joe next time around.

bzubke1
06-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Just did my first oil change and of course the tech at the dealership tightened the crap out of the filter. Couldn't get it off to save my life. I was using a strap style oil filter wrench. Called up my car mechanic and he got it off for me. He used one of the pliers type wrenches, and a long bar to keep the remote mount from twisting when he tried to turn the filter. I hope you don't have the same problem. I knew it was going to be a pita when I saw marks on the filter from where he tightened it with a wrench.

maxpower220
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Based on the tight quarters that the filter is located in, I prefer a band type wrench. If it were easier to access, I would prefer to use a socket type.

I have used Fram filters from Walmart a lot, I don't use them at all now. However, do yourself a favor and research independant filter tests on the internet. It probably will make you change the brand of filter you use. Also, I have found that the local chain auto parts stores a running "specials" that work out to be cheaper than Walmart (this may just be on synthetic oils that I like to use though).

Let us know how you like that fluid pump.

jmvotto
06-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Max, what brand are you using now, waht caused the switch since i have search some links but i did not find Fram, i thought it would be easy since it is on a list of alternative by indmar.

I believe the 345 surf engine is still a 5.7 l so the filer is a PZ52 not the PZ167 i originally thought

Oil Filter - Pennzoil PZ3 / PZ52

Product Description:
OEM Oil Filter for Indmar Chevy Engines.
Fits the Indmar LCR, All Indmar Monsoon Engines, All Indmar Hammerhead Engines, Mastercraft LQ9, and all 5.7L chevy engines. Filters threads measure: 13/16 x 16.

Innerchanges with:

PZ3 - According to the 2009 Pennzoil filter application guide the PZ-3 has been replaced by the PZ-52. THE OIL FILTER IS THE SAME PLEASE NOTE THE PART NUMBER CHANGE IN YOUR SERVICE MANUAL
Napa 1069 & 7099
Wix 51069
Fram CPH 30 / PH 30
AC PF25 & PF454
Penske PN30
Purolator L20049
Castrol CM30
Motorcraft FL10
Quaker State QS30
PZ3 - According to the 2009 Pennzoil filter application guide the PZ-3 has been replaced by the PZ-52. THE OIL FILTER IS THE SAME PLEASE NOTE THE PART NUMBER CHANGE IN YOUR SERVICE MANUAL

Just found it on the net, thanks for the info.

wolfeman131
06-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Haven't you seen the tv commercial where they show frams have cardboard caps vs metal? FWIW, ATL Marine stocks Wix.

jmvotto
06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
thanks, No i have not but i wont be going with the orange

Funny Penzoil is made by the same comapny Fram is , Honeywell.... Hmnn

VA LSV
06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
NAPA filters are made by Wix. I use a strap wrench due to the tight space. If the mount was turned around you would have a lot more access.

wolfeman131
06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
FWIW - I use the plier style, but only to crank old one off and maybe 1/4 turn after I hand tighten the new one on.

maxpower220
06-08-2012, 09:28 PM
http://oil.filter.product.info/

Here is a link to several reviews, some done well, some not.

First, I believe that if you follow the manual for service that just about any oil and filter will likely provide the job it is meant to do. I do believe that synthetic oil is a better oil for wear and shear protection. I try to balance the cost of a product to the benefit that it does (or should) provide. I have seen tests which show K&N to be one of the best built oil filters and I would use it, but it is quite expensive. Napa Gold, Wix and Mobil 1 filters all rank high in quality build and cost slightly less than K&N. Since I mentioned the deals a parts stores, Mobil 1 usually fits into those sales. So that is the filter that I have been using for about 3 years now in my cars and boat.

Fram build quality seems very low. It is disappointing because it is so easy to get when I am at Wally World and auto parts stores are out of the way for me.

Fortunately, there are a lot of people on the internet with the time and desire to cut filters apart and show what kind of construction they have. While that may not directly prove the filter ability of the product, it has an impact on me and what I buy. Hope that helps.

jmvotto
06-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Max, thanks for the heads up. I thought a filter was a filter , not so.

Funny I went to autozone and got a strap wrench and paid extra for the Mobil 1 filter.. The rotella T 15 w 40 was 3 dollars a gallon cheaper at Wally world , plus ww has it in qts as well. So off to Wally I will go.

I found wix , It is sold at advantage auto around here.

my dealer used these the last our years on the and will probably be on the XLV after this oil change.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=441202&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50367&classNum=50375#.T9KuKWt5mSM

jedandsara
06-23-2012, 02:28 AM
What is the model number for the Mobil 1 filter? Does this work for the indmar direct drive engine?
Max, thanks for the heads up. I thought a filter was a filter , not so.

Funny I went to autozone and got a strap wrench and paid extra for the Mobil 1 filter.. The rotella T 15 w 40 was 3 dollars a gallon cheaper at Wally world , plus ww has it in qts as well. So off to Wally I will go.

I found wix , It is sold at advantage auto around here.

my dealer used these the last our years on the and will probably be on the XLV after this oil change.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=441202&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50367&classNum=50375#.T9KuKWt5mSM

beat taco
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
M1302 for the mobile 1, if you go to napa it has to be napa gold to be a wix.

mcdye
06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I use Wix 51060, it is the same as the 51069 but taller.

h20boy22
06-25-2012, 12:31 PM
So is any reputable 15w-40 oil a valid substitute for the Pennzoil Marine type that the manual calls for?

jmvotto
06-25-2012, 09:48 PM
What is the model number for the Mobil 1 filter? Does this work for the indmar direct drive engine?

I got the Mobil M1-111 filter for th v drive. Should be the same as dd they are the same engines. Check your manual or the recommended filter the check the cross ref at a store.

VA LSV
06-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Indmar recommends 15W-40 Pennzoil Marine in their
engines. If not available, use a 15W40 motor oil with an
A.P.I. classification rating of SL/SJ/CI4/CH4/CG4 or
equivilent. Synthetic oils are not recommended until after
the engine has been run for 100 hours.

wolfeman131
06-26-2012, 08:06 AM
So is any reputable 15w-40 oil a valid substitute for the Pennzoil Marine type that the manual calls for?

Yes. Many of us use the Shell Rotella oil that can be purchased at WalMart.

jmvotto
06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Yes. Many of us use the Shell Rotella oil that can be purchased at WalMart.

autozone carries it as well.