PDA

View Full Version : Job Wanted

KSmith
06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Anyone know of any jobs out there for an IT Manager or Sr, Software Engineer with massive SQL and SQL Server experience?

Anything else would be considered too.

Mr. Tinker, any openings up there at SC?

Thanks!

Kraig

WaterBullDawg1980
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Not happy at work??

And to Mr. Tinker, I will work for peanuts and a new boat.

kaneboats
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't know. A jar of peanut butter is over $5 now. I think you might be asking for too much.

bergermaister
06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Not happy at work?

Welcome to the club...

On a brighter note (for me anyway!) I've had 3 interviews in the last week and 2 call backs for round two interviews so I guess things are looking up. Downside is I may be forfeiting 3 weeks of vacation starting somewhere new here at the beginning of our summer...

My best findings were from indeed.com - kind of a portal from many other job sites all in one.

kaneboats
06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Bargain for more money. When they get to the part where they say no more then you make them match your vacation time. I've done this everywhere I've ever worked except the power co. where they were not allowed to do it so they just paid more.

KSmith
06-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah it's pretty much working conditions as this point. Sure would love to move up to Maryville and be able to be part of the SC team, yes indeed I would :-) What could be better than being part of building boats one loves. Ah to dream, perchance to rejoice, ay theres the rub. For in that dream what rejoicing may come when we suffer deadend job...

sandm
06-07-2012, 07:09 PM
be careful about getting a job within your hobby. turns your hobby into work.

KSmith
06-07-2012, 08:18 PM
be careful about getting a job within your hobby. turns your hobby into work.

Can happen tis true, but I find myself doubting it'd be an issue in this case LOL. Do what you love. love what you do.

kaneboats
06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah it's pretty much working conditions as this point. Sure would love to move up to Maryville and be able to be part of the SC team, yes indeed I would :-) What could be better than being part of building boats one loves. Ah to dream, perchance to rejoice, ay theres the rub. For in that dream what rejoicing may come when we suffer deadend job...

Aye, to work doing something you love or not to work. That is the question.

bkearney
06-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Aye, to work doing something you love or not to work. That is the question.

My parents just bought a boat, a new Grady White. Part of the sales persons job was to go out with them the first few days to make sure they learned their boat. Please dont throw me in that briar patch.

kaneboats
06-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Wow! then I need to start selling these:

http://www.charterworld.com/index.html?sub=yacht-charter&charter=bavaria--sail-boat-609

bergermaister
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
My parents just bought a boat, a new Grady White. Part of the sales persons job was to go out with them the first few days to make sure they learned their boat. Please dont throw me in that briar patch.

In my early 20's had a buddy that did this for 1.5yrs up around Seattle. Take people and out and show them how their new boat works, make deliveries, do demo days on the weekends with PWC's, etc. He absolutely loved his job but didn't make jack... Literally barely survived.

04OUTBACK
06-09-2012, 06:50 AM
I work n a fun industry and was more of my hobby interest before. I don't hunt near as much as i used too now , But selling hunting products is fun. It's a fun industry. Probably why I got into boating. I had to have a release away from work. But not a bad deal. Best of both. I hunt some and play on water more now.

Best of luck. It is a solid world to be looking in.

Kata
06-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Cap'n Kraig,

Hey, I just took Wolfman's old boat off his hands (its a sweet ride) and we have been putterin' around Allatoona teaching my two girls to waterski.

I know of an IT mgmt position at a downtown Atlanta hospital. I am not sure if it has been filled yet, but PM me if you're interested and I will try to get more details for you.

John Norman

KSmith
06-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Hey John!

So you are the one that has Drew's old boat, congrats! I'm sure he took great care of her. shoud be a great ride for years to come, until the Mojo bug bites that is LOL.

Allatoona, that would be the lake I frequent. We just got in. Took some friends out for a bit of a ride, did some swimming and then pulled their kids around on the (dare I say it) tube for awhile. Went over and had lunch at the marina resturant, had a great time, got to visit with our friends we hadn't seen for awhile. Good times.

So how old are your daugthers? Ah waterskiing, great skill to know, lots of fun, spent untold hours on a slalom ski. Not so much lately though...

What part of Allatoona do you frequent?

wolfeman131
06-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Cap'n Kraig,

Hey, I just took Wolfman's old boat off his hands (its a sweet ride) and we have been putterin' around Allatoona teaching my two girls to waterski.

That boat wasn't/isn't OLD. She's barely broken in! But, you're right; a sweeeeeet ride indeed!

Get some pics up so I can make sure you're taking care of her like you promised you would.

Kata
06-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I should have said "Wolfeman's former boat", or "Wolfeman's previous boat" or "Wolfeman's prior boat", but not "Wolfeman's old boat" as that doesn't pay sufficient respect. I stand corrected. But, it is a beautiful machine and we have been having a blast with it. I had a friend pull me on the old slalom ski yesterday. First time I have been skiing in 15 years. I can barely move today, shoulders stiff, legs ache, and I forgot to take my Geritol. I had five girls with me yesterday ( I used to dream about having a boatload of girls when I was in high school) These girls ranged from 7 year olds to 13 year olds. Times change....

Back to Cap'n Kraig - My girls are 13 and 10, both somewhat cautious in nature when it comes to water sports. They are more interested in tubing and kneeboarding, but we are slowly getting into waterskiing. We go out of Glade Marina - it seems less busy there than at some of the public ramps. We mostly go late in the afternoon. We are always watching for other moombas. The girls are both keen on announcing it when they see one. Wolfeman told me that you were on Allatoona, where do y'all go out of?

KSmith
06-10-2012, 06:21 PM
LOL Yeah old boat just doesn't seem respectful enough LOL.

I hear you on the body aches and such sounds real familiar!

10 and 13, oh I feel for you. When my daugter turned 13, well, it was a challenge let's say. I am thankful those times are far behind! Best of luck John, best of luck! :-)

I've never visited Glade Marinia, driven buy it, camped near it (McKinney). We launch from Blockhouse, and yes the public ramps can get crazy busy but we manage. Yesterday we had a bunch of boneheads at the dock, some just tied off and no owners apparent, one working on his engine so I gave up and nosed my boat into the empty ramp and slapped it into reverse and jumped off the bow letting my wife take over. I wasn't going to wait all day for these knuckle heads LOL.

On weekends we go out early and come back in around 2-3. We also go out on weekday evenings when the weather permits for a couple hours like 6-8. We usually run between Dallas Landing near Acworth, Blockhouse, around MicKinney/Glade Marina, Red Top Mountain, past the Dam, and near the Red Top Mounting Lodge. Those are the areas we mostly frequent, occassionally we'll run the whole lake to Little River near Canton when we just want to cruise and sight see.

If you see this boat then flag us down.

kaneboats
06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Congrats on the purchase, John. Better take good care of her as we're all gonna be watchin'.

moombadaze
06-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I should have said "Wolfeman's former boat", or "Wolfeman's previous boat" or "Wolfeman's prior boat", but not "Wolfeman's old boat" as that doesn't pay sufficient respect. I stand corrected. But, it is a beautiful machine and we have been having a blast with it.

Yeah, nothin old about that one. That is one clean, mean, Moombaing machine.

wolfeman131
06-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I think he should haul it down for the Sinclair Jam so we may all inspect it.

jmb
06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Well, believe it or not, I am in the market for a new job. I really don't want to do maintenance anymore. I am "on call" every 6th day and I don't want to do this anymore. I need something that earns about $150,000 a year. Let me know what ya all got out there!!!

Kata
06-11-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd love it!

The Jam I mean, not the inspection.

KSmith
06-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I'll take one of those 150K jobs too thanks!!

jmb
06-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Thas what I need so I can get a place on the lake too

KSmith
06-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Mission accomplished.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Kraig: You got a new job??

Congrats if so!

KSmith
06-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Kraig: You got a new job??

Congrats if so!

Yup! Had a telephonic interview with the top dog at 10 AM, verbal offer presented and accepted at 6 PM, official email offer and packet due tomorrow along with background check and drug screening forms & such...

bergermaister
06-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Man - that was quick! Congrats.

wolfeman131
06-20-2012, 09:54 PM
background check and drug screening

Dang! I was real happy for you till I got to this part. :)

Congrats Kraig! That sure was fast. I'm going to guess that the new gig keeps you in the ATL?

kaneboats
06-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Congrats! I've never had a job but I've done more dang work than anyone I know.

KSmith
06-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Dang! I was real happy for you till I got to this part. :)

Congrats Kraig! That sure was fast. I'm going to guess that the new gig keeps you in the ATL?

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk ;-) No worries mate. Yeah still in the ATL sprawl, Alpharetta actually, a bit north of Windward Pkwy. So that's about 16 miles north of where I work now, which is at the Concourse where the King & Queen buildings are located at 285 & 400. I'll be taking Hwy 92 all the way from my house across to 400 then hop north a bit. A lot of stop lights but not much further or longer that my current commute and I get to avoid 285 & 75, which is going to be nice :-)

E4NASH
06-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Hmmm Sounds like a job I was contacted about recently. Yeah that 575/75/285 drive is awful! Im glad I only have to do that twice a week at the most! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSmith
06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Hmmm Sounds like a job I was contacted about recently. Yeah that 575/75/285 drive is awful! Im glad I only have to do that twice a week at the most! Congrats!!

Thanks! I will have the option to telecommute at least two days a week. I could TC more but I feel being seen and having face time is important. In this economy if layoffs come those less seen/noticed can become easy targets. Maybe TC 3 in office 2... Hmmm.. well maybe later, for now TC 2 in office 3 and one TC day must be Friday.

dusty2221
06-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Congrats Kraig!

wolfeman131
06-21-2012, 10:41 AM
OH, how I like to TC. Especially from the lake!

E4NASH
06-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks! I will have the option to telecommute at least two days a week. I could TC more but I feel being seen and having face time is important. In this economy if layoffs come those less seen/noticed can become easy targets. Maybe TC 3 in office 2... Hmmm.. well maybe later, for now TC 2 in office 3 and one TC day must be Friday.

Agreed, I'm TC'ing today and did yesterday too AND I'm off on Fridays so it doesn't get much better than that!

KSmith
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Agreed, I'm TC'ing today and did yesterday too AND I'm off on Fridays so it doesn't get much better than that!

Pretty sweet deal ya got there Eric!

WaterBullDawg1980
06-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Congrats Kraig! You are absolutely right about the face time as well. Easier to let go of someone you never see!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bergermaister
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Sittin in yer boat punching out emails on the Crackberry counts as Telecommuting?

Well, it would for me if I had that option!

chawk610
06-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Good work if you can get it I guess! Berg... wern't you thinking about moving to Texas? Maybe we can find you one of those "easy money" jobs if you do.

bergermaister
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Abso-freakin-lutely. I talk about moving to Central/Northern TX daily.

Been doing some soul searching and justifying making it happen. It looks like a 2 year window at this point before I'll be in prime shape to go for it. By June 2014 all our vehicles will be paid off, the house will hopefully fair better market value wise so we can sell or refi down and rent it, the kids will be transitioning schools from elementary to middle, or to HS, or be done. Mom works from home so location doesn't really matter as long as we have an airport not too far away.

So basically just up to me to find a good gig!

KSmith
06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Sounds awesome Berg, best of luck and go for it!

jpetty3023
06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
C'mon down Berg.

Sent from my home phone..

bergermaister
06-25-2012, 01:38 AM
So get this. Had 1st interview on phone with a place early this month. Passed. (Locally, not TX)
Second interview face to face with HR and staffer a week after. Passed
Third interview face to face with Management Team another week after. Passed.
Took a writing and competency test following that. Passed.
Had a third and final face to face interview scheduled with the President Monday morning first thing.

Got an email Friday evening cancelling it. Said they are reconsidering the position and possibly restructuring it and they'll get back to me.

WTF!!! I subtly took a lot of time off work and jumped through a lot of hoops for this place. What a load of crap!

chawk610
06-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Wow... sounds like they need to get themselves together before wasting peoples time! Sorry man.

KSmith
06-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Dang Berg that's is crap. Sorry man, they really shouldn't be treating people like that. The world is strange it truely is. I have had drawn out all day interviews, call backs, round three call backs, round table interviews with all hands, written and oral tests and yet at other times I can meet a couple people and have an offer by the end of the day... I have been run through the technical wringer at times and yet at others have not had one technical question asked more difficult than can yiou spell SQL... it is a strange world out there...

Must be why I love it on my boat, simple rules, it all makes sense :-)

Boonejeepin
06-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I always try to keep in mind that you are interviewing the company as much as they are interviewing you. Don't want to be stuck at a place that you dread working at.

bergermaister
06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
So true Boon-

Only reason I'm looking is my company has changed a lot since the owner retired early due to health problems couple years ago. Environment has gone steadily downhill since then, lots of people have left, very few have been replaced, etc. And now the d!psh!t in charge (his brother-in-law) goes around puffing out his chest about how "moral is at an all time high".

Right - that's why almost half the company has already abandoned ship and the other half is looking.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Berg, you ever seen Horrible Bosses? Your new boss sounds like the son who took over the company after his dad died.
Funny but probably not if you are in the situation. :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bergermaister
06-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Yep - made me want to go work for a dentist. Or at least get my teeth cleaned regularly.

bergermaister
09-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Had a call back yesterday and just finished another/final phone interview today with the same place I interviewed with back in June! They had pulled the plug on the previous position, re-evaluated based on board of directors guidance, and upped the position to a Director level. :cool:

Me thinks there will be an offer coming me way soon. Cross your fingers for me fellas!

rdlangston13
09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Good luck man! Hope you get it!

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
09-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Whoo hoo! You go berg!

KSmith
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Awesome Berg! Best of luck!!

sandm
09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
good luck...

jpetty3023
09-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Fingers crossed Berg! Will this get ya to TX?

dusty2221
09-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Nice Berg!

Not to thread jack, but I recently interviewed for a new position with a different company as well. I'm very hopeful that something works out with it. Would take my trip to work from 45 miles one way to 15 from our current house. It's in the city we are hoping to move to when our house sells, which would then reduce that 15 miles to under 10 from pretty much anywhere we choose. Amazing....

jpetty3023
09-11-2012, 05:52 PM
But how far to the ramp Dusty?

kaneboats
09-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Good for you guys. Hope you land the good one for gas money's sake.

bergermaister
09-11-2012, 05:59 PM
yeah how far to the ramp? - gotta have those priorities!

Hoping the best for you Dusty. Shorter commute is golden. No jump to TX yet Petty - baby steps.

My commute would remain unchanged basically but I'd be headed into Oregon and therefore facing a state income tax. Could be worth it regardless - we'll see. And no foreseeable glass ceiling like I'm currently smashed up against.

dusty2221
09-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Ramp goes from 45 to 20.

:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

wolfeman131
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Best of luck to you too, Dusty!

jpetty3023
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
That's a double, maybe triple, win for ya Dusty. Hope it works out

jmvotto
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Good luck boys!!

mmandley
09-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Good luck guys, im lucky enough that i have changed jobs 3xs in the last 8 years but its all been internal. Now im in a position i could easily get a job almost anyplace in the world. Having the Intel backing and training is a bonus also.

If Claudia gets moved to a new location is about the only reason i would leave my company. Unless of course they chose to move me back into the manufacturing fabs as a tool repair and maintenance guy again, not a bad job just the environment sucks.

bergermaister
10-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Well would you believe that after 3, no make that 4 months, multiple interviews, assessment tests, and a whole lot of waiting around, the place notified all 3 final candidates yesterday that they have opted to not hire anyone?! :mad: Talk about flaky! They did this the first time around too. We got to final interviews, then they cancelled them all at the last minute and pulled the position.

Knowing what I know now I would have turned down any offer coming from such a wishy washy place. Geesh!

jester
10-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Berg sorry to hear about that. What type of job are you looking for?

wolfeman131
10-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah, that sucks Berg!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kaneboats
10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
It's bad. But, not as bad as if they would have hired you and you started and THEN they changed their minds about the whole thing. I do hate how they act as if your time is completely worthless though. I'd send 'em a bill. You probably blew vacation days and stuff to go through their process. What they did was bad faith.

bergermaister
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Agreed - would have been in a really bad spot to have made the jump and A) found out what they were "really" like and hated it or B) they flaked on me and the position after I got there. Yes, I believe I blew between 3-4 vacation and sick days to jump through all their hoops - :mad:

Jester - been in Marketing/Advertising for last 16yrs. Looking for something along those lines. Been mostly in tech/finance/healthcare and B2B. Would love to jump into B2C and product focused vs. software or service focused but around here the options are limited. Would also prefer to avoid the commute into PDX and the state income tax but that can be overcome with the right opportunity.

jester
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Berg, I am not in the marketing/Advertising world but will keep my ears open for you.

bergermaister
10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks man. Actually stumbled across a position just this morning that would be great - and with an aftermarket automotive mods company no less! Had no idea they are in my own backyard.

kaneboats
10-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Good for you. I hope you are able to keep your enthusiasm up after the beat down by the idiot co.

bergermaister
10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Drown the beat down with beers over the weekend. Good to go.

kaneboats
10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I hope they were some high quality NW micros.

bergermaister
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I thought I'd be sending you some of our quality micros but then I never did see a complete, victorious 360. (Nor did I throw one!)

kaneboats
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
LOL! Never say never. Season isn't over here yet -- although I can't get anyone to go out anymore. Boo.

jmb
10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Wife and youngest son fighting over who is going to drive now. Guess season is still on!

bergermaister
10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
LOL! Never say never. Season isn't over here yet -- although I can't get anyone to go out anymore. Boo.

I'm on my way.

I haven't been able to convince the troops to go since end of August. Though we did get hit with back to school commotion, then a long stretch of windy weather.