PDA

View Full Version : time to sell?

motosno963
06-07-2012, 03:11 AM
soooo i found a nice summer car i want and in order for me to buy it i would have to sell my boat to pay off my two loans i have ( motorcycle and snowmobile )and maybe even sell my bike after i pay the loan off..it will suck but i guess i will get more use out of the car then my boat..even more so since i work 3pm to 1130 pm and i have every other weekend off ..and of course i have army drill on one of those weekends a month...i want to put her up for 20G$..im about to replace the seats in the boat..she has about 360? hours and every speaker in that boat was replaced with rockford fosgate speakers..seem like a good number to start at?..i have a guy whos family lives down the street and i swear at least 3 times that summer he asked me if i was selling the boat.soo i might sell it to him

moombadaze
06-07-2012, 07:40 AM
time to sell? No

a car is just a car-most everyone has one

a boat is a lifestyle that most want to live

maxpower220
06-07-2012, 07:51 AM
What is a "summer" car? What is difference between a summer car and a motorcycle?

Regardless of what you keep or sell, debt is bad. Strive to pay cash for everything. If you don't have the funds for it, then save up until you do. Living debt free is the best thing I have ever done. Yes, I had a lifestyle of loans and payments on everything. For some reason, I changed my way of thinking, changed my priorities, and have been basically debt free for 5 1/2 yrs.

KSmith
06-07-2012, 08:14 AM
time to sell? No

a car is just a car-most everyone has one

a boat is a lifestyle that most want to live

^^^^ Exactly ^^^^

lsvboombox
06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
If you dont have time to use the boat then its a no brainer. Sell it and when time free's up get another one.

chawk610
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I agree... pay off a loan!!! I say this because if the thought even crosses your mind to sell the boat without making you want to vomit, then the love affair is over!

KG's Supra24
06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
if the thought even crosses your mind to sell the boat without making you want to vomit, then the love affair is over!

Not how I would have put it buuuutt good point. It is a lifestyle, not just a toy.

zabooda
06-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Stay away from loans. Hopefully, you will get enough from the boat to pay off the loans. Summer car? Car prices are at a high right now especially with summer coming on. My Jeep Wrangler is worth about 1/3 more than when I paid for it in 2009. Liquidate what you don't use, pay cash for items you can't get a tax write off, sell when everyone is buying and buy when everyone is selling. Recessions are a great time to buy.

motosno963
06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
my " summer car " im looking at is a tastefully modded 2003 mustang cobra with under 20,000 miles on her and wants 26G for it...i want to get a summer car due to the fact with my truck (paid off) i am only getting around 15mpg on a good day and i drive about 20 miles to work each day and i go through gas like tomorrow..i love my bike but i like to go fast on her and i know i will do something dumb on her again( laid my bike down once before doing wheelies in traffic..dumb i know) so i just want to relax with a nice summer car and take her to the car shows with my buddys cars ( 2 2006 gtos, and a 2000 camaro z28 police interceptor)

Nobodyrides4Free
06-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Your basically going from one Toy to Another!!!!! 2003 Mustang Cobra Blue Books for 26???? I question that.... Gas mileage better???? Question that too...
I get it, its time to change from the boat. Make sure your going to enjoy the New Toy as much as you Used to enjoy the boat......Good Luck Man

dusty2221
06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I know this is irrelevant, but moto, how old are you?

sandm
06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
buying a "summer car" doesn't make sense as you are trying to sell it. I've had 2 of them, both mitsu evo's. you will not save any gas money so throw that out the window buying a modded v8, not to mention having an additional insurance payment and synth oil changes/other maintenance. based on what you have listed in this thread as vehicles owned, i'm going out on a limb here and guessing that car will never be driven under 4krpms so it'll see around 18mpg if you are lucky.

now if you are tired of the boat or have no time to use it and want to switch your hobbies to fast modded cars, then that's a different story. do it and enjoy it, but don't try to sell it as a gas savings. nothing wrong with having a "summer car", knowing that it will end up costing you as much as the boat does in yearly expenses/payments/maintenance.

maxpower220
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
... is a tastefully modded 2003 mustang cobra with under 20,000 miles on her and wants 26G for it... i am only getting around 15mpg on a good day and i drive about 20 miles to work each day and i go through gas like tomorrow..i love my bike but i like to go fast .......

WTF?!?!?!!!! You have a motorcycle that gets at least 40 mpg, sell it and get a 250 cc bike that gets 70 mpg and won't "go fast". Oh yeah, I'll bet you'll drive under the speed limit in a Cobra. Your truck gets about 15 mpg. So what kind of mileage do you expect in a Cobra (modded at that), 16-18-20????? Try 15 to maybe 17, since you will be driving it. You asked the question, be prepared for the response. This is just F-ing STUPID. For $26K, you can almost get a brand new Mustang Convertible. The new V-6 has almost the same HP as the 03 Cobra, and it can get up to 30mpg on the hwy. Lastly, what will you do with the Cobra in Nov? Try to sell it then, good luck.

It's your life, your money, and your choice. Since you asked, it seems like the wrong thing to do (buy a summer car). Selling your boat is a question only you can answer since you know how much you use and enjoy it. Many people buy boats and just don't use them. The advice I give is only to help you in your life and future. I have no stake in the choices you make, but I like to see people in great financial shape. Speaking of which, how is your retirement fund????

skiyaker
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
if you don't have the time for it then sell the boat to the guy in your hood. Offer to take him out on the lake and show him how it works, make friends with him and go out on "his" boat a few times a year and enjoy your new toy with wheels.

rc5695
06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
if you don't have the time for it then sell the boat to the guy in your hood. Offer to take him out on the lake and show him how it works, make friends with him and go out on "his" boat a few times a year and enjoy your new toy with wheels.
i like that! ride the bike for mileage, 'cuz that car isn't going to get any better than your truck.

Debt free is great. I'm as close as most people come, with only a house payment. Leaves money for repairs, upgrades/mods, and playing.

sandm
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
For $26K, you can almost get a brand new Mustang Convertible. The new V-6 has almost the same HP as the 03 Cobra, and it can get up to 30mpg on the hwy.

sorry, but I have to say it.. clearly not a "car guy" talking here. the mustang 'vert v6 is a TOTAL CHICK CAR that any respectable dude would not be caught dead owning :)
the new v6 does have 300hp, but iirc, the 03 cobra's-aka the termi's- are good for 500hp with nothing more than a grand in an intake, exhaust, reflash and a new supercharger pulley. clearly 2 VERY different cars.

now back to the regularly scheduled bashing on buying a hopped up stang for fuel economy :)

kaneboats
06-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Nonsense! I've driven V-6 Mustang convertibles for years. They make great second owner cars with low maintenance and lots of fun. Way better than the V-8's the idiot guys buy and then pound into the ground so there's nothing left when it has 80k on it. With gas prices high and wanting the wind in your face, there's nothing like a V-6 Mustang 'vert. Great cars for anyone. Don't try to make any Mustang a chick only car. Heck, Barbie drives a corvette.

Brando86
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
A friend of mine had an 03 cobra putting down 450ish at the wheels and he only owned it for 3 months. Best crusing gas mileage was 18, somewhere around 11-13 in city. His was sonic blue, 25k miles, and lightly modded. He only paid $21k. This sounds to me like you're somewhat backwards with your thoughts trying to justify the need for the car. If i'm burning that much gas in anything, it will be in my boat:)

sandm
06-07-2012, 02:01 PM
sorry kane, but ford actually dubbed the v6'vert a "secretary car" :) I've seen a couple of shows on the mustang and ford will admit that from a marketing standpoint, the v6 is gearded toward women and the v8 toward men. it's the v6 that gives it the bad rap amongst car guys. I can guarantee you that anyone that's into performance cars sees a guy in a v6, they look over at their passenger and utter the words "chick car". nothing wrong with the car, that's just the "stigma" that has been cast on the car over the years(and the reason I will never own one). the honda s2000 was a much better car with 100% better street cred from a guy's point of view, and a droptop to boot...

the vette has a much better rep than a v6stang'vert as it's only built as a true performance car. even though it has varying degrees of performance, even the base model has decent track numbers. now I see a blond driving one, I either think she has no idea what she is driving or when the light turns green, she's going to give me a run :)

kaneboats
06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
That just goes to show how stupid that crowd is. A Honda S2000 is a 4 cyl. rice burner I wouldn't be caught dead in. Betcha Danica wouldn't be caught dead in it either.

dusty2221
06-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I thought vet's were for balding 40 and 50 somethings to ride around in with the top down trying to pick up girls that are young enough to be their daughters?

zabooda
06-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Save yourself five grand and buy the car at book value.

kaneboats
06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I thought vet's were for balding 40 and 50 somethings to ride around in with the top down trying to pick up girls that are young enough to be their daughters?

Must be 50 and 60 somethings; I'm nowhere close.

sandm
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
vette's are kind of funny that way. you see a guy in one from 45-65 and you immediately think that, but you see a 25 yo in one and you think he owns a performance sports car..

it could all be a cover tho. perhaps the 25 yo is going cougar hunting :)

sandm
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
That just goes to show how stupid that crowd is. A Honda S2000 is a 4 cyl. rice burner I wouldn't be caught dead in. Betcha Danica wouldn't be caught dead in it either.

give danica keys to both at the nuremburg ring and see which one posts a faster lap.. bet it's not the ford.

I used to love to meet up with people that had a bad opinion of riceburners(much less a 4dr) at the track with my evo. best one was a late50's guy that owned a publishing company. he had a new vette. chatted it up in the staging lanes as he was bagging on imports. my timeslip was a full 2sec faster at the end of the 1/4. refused to speak again. best victory ever. lost to a few other imports and believe it or not, a guy in a full size cummins 4x4 that had a TON of cash in bullydog gear, but never lost to anything with a v8, much less a v6 :)

maxpower220
06-07-2012, 03:59 PM
sorry, but I have to say it.. clearly not a "car guy" talking here. ...
the new v6 does have 300hp, but iirc, the 03 cobra's-aka the termi's-...

To be quite honest, I was thinking of the 01 Cobras, 4.6L which were not SC. Stock numbers on those vs. a new V-6 are very close. But really, my point was $26K for Mustang is a lot, especially a decade old Mustang, and a brand new one is close to the same price.

If we are changing the car, look into a slightly used Miata. Sure it's another chick car, but Car and Driver keep naming it one of the best every year.

motosno963
06-07-2012, 04:18 PM
i was pricing out the new 2013 and even the 11-12's ,for the 13 i priced one out the way i wanted it for about 42G..and the 11-12 is high 20's to low 30's.. and i still love the look of the 03-04 cobra termi..ill post up a link to the car..the termi is beautiful and most of the mods are done to the car its self and a small amount to the motor ( http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminators-buy-sell-254/826730-gauging-interest-03-dsg.html )if i cant get the car then maybe ill use the money and get a polarise rzr side x side..ohh and by the way ill be 25 on the 22nd of june

sandm
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
you can get a pretty well equipped stang with a v8 for a few k more than you are paying for that cobra. remember that most fords over 30k will drop 7-10k off the price otd. sticker on an american car is a joke anymore. as far as that car for 26, you're overpaying. 20 would be my top end. no one will give you anything for the low miles, mods are not worth a nickel when selling a car and you'll be hard pressed to find a bank that wants to loan a lot on that car. as max suggested, it is 10 years old..

and max, would you really like to admit you drive this?? :)
http://www.stangbangers.com/MazdaMiata_GreatWhiteSharkGrilleTeeth.jpg

jpetty3023
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
This has turned into quite the Barbie vs. Man Child car thread. I like-:)

moombadaze
06-07-2012, 07:53 PM
A Honda S2000 is a 4 cyl. rice burner I wouldn't be caught dead in.

same here.

its funny when a S2000 pulls into the service drive, all the advisors scatter for some reason

maxpower220
06-07-2012, 07:54 PM
and max, would you really like to admit you drive this?? :)
http://www.stangbangers.com/MazdaMiata_GreatWhiteSharkGrilleTeeth.jpg

I was thinking of something in a "racing stripe", 20" rims (prefer spinners), a rear spoiler, and of course a ghetto exhaust.

However, gnarley teeth are pretty cool. Like the Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt: it says, like, "I want to be formal, but I like to party too." I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party too.

motosno963
06-07-2012, 09:42 PM
ok ricky bobby

rdlangston13
06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I used to love to meet up with people that had a bad opinion of riceburners(much less a 4dr) at the track with my evo. best one was a late50's guy that owned a publishing company. he had a new vette. chatted it up in the staging lanes as he was bagging on imports. my timeslip was a full 2sec faster at the end of the 1/4. refused to speak again. best victory ever. lost to a few other imports and believe it or not, a guy in a full size cummins 4x4 that had a TON of cash in bullydog gear, but never lost to anything with a v8, much less a v6 :)

if 4 bangers where meant for the drag strip they would be using them in top fuel

Hoopskier
06-07-2012, 11:54 PM
From reading your posts, it looks like you are more swayed to sell the boat for a different toy. I would think that $20K would be decent price, with not knowing the details of the sale (like whats included). Now is a good time to sell, if you want to make a sale. As the temps climb, being out on the water is more desirable. I have heard that after July 4, water sports sale dwindle.

I cant comment on the price of the stang. Its looks like a pretty sweet car. A little too many gauges (repeat of factory) for my taste. From a financial point of view, anything toy related is bad. Switching between toys is worse yet. Financing is worst of all of course. No toy will ever save any money such as "it gets better fuel milage" by the time you factor in cost of insurance, maintainence, and misc. cost (upgrades or mods). We use those lines to help justify the purchase.

I did the car show thing for a little while. It got dull pretty fast. Showing a car for me was boring. Sitting in a parking lot or park for a couple hours/most of the day on a weekend, low excitement. Car cruises, in my experience, were accidents waiting to happen. I have seen one guy, pretty drunk, nearly crash is Ford T bucket trying to show off. Looking at whatever amount of horsepower is more like looking at art. Its nice to visit but not a hobby for me. I had a 97 Ranger with a supercharged 5.0, took a beating on the sale price.

With boats, summer cars, atvs, snowmobiles, it will seem there is never enough time to enjoy them to the fullest extent. We all want lots of big boy toys, but reality sets in and have to pick one over another. Pick whatever has the most interest to you. Picking up a toy because you buddy has one, sometimes doesnt work out when they sell them later too.

Hoopskier
06-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Like the Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt: it says, like, "I want to be formal, but I like to party too." I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party too.

shake n bake, that just happened

motosno963
06-08-2012, 12:22 AM
From reading your posts, it looks like you are more swayed to sell the boat for a different toy. I would think that $20K would be decent price, with not knowing the details of the sale (like whats included). Now is a good time to sell, if you want to make a sale. As the temps climb, being out on the water is more desirable. I have heard that after July 4, water sports sale dwindle.

I cant comment on the price of the stang. Its looks like a pretty sweet car. A little too many gauges (repeat of factory) for my taste. From a financial point of view, anything toy related is bad. Switching between toys is worse yet. Financing is worst of all of course. No toy will ever save any money such as "it gets better fuel milage" by the time you factor in cost of insurance, maintainence, and misc. cost (upgrades or mods). We use those lines to help justify the purchase.

I did the car show thing for a little while. It got dull pretty fast. Showing a car for me was boring. Sitting in a parking lot or park for a couple hours/most of the day on a weekend, low excitement. Car cruises, in my experience, were accidents waiting to happen. I have seen one guy, pretty drunk, nearly crash is Ford T bucket trying to show off. Looking at whatever amount of horsepower is more like looking at art. Its nice to visit but not a hobby for me. I had a 97 Ranger with a supercharged 5.0, took a beating on the sale price.

With boats, summer cars, atvs, snowmobiles, it will seem there is never enough time to enjoy them to the fullest extent. We all want lots of big boy toys, but reality sets in and have to pick one over another. Pick whatever has the most interest to you. Picking up a toy because you buddy has one, sometimes doesnt work out when they sell them later too.smart guy right here

motosno963
06-08-2012, 12:30 AM
shake n bake, that just happened
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d26Q37EQ-Zs

z28ke
06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
ALL mustangs are chick cars!!! J/K. I'm not familiar with the car market up there but that price seems high to me, sounds like your paying for the miles. I couldn't spend more that 19,999 on a termi, and it better be REALLY clean. I would look at the new 5.0's. They are really strong and respond well to mods, I haven't looked at used prices but I'm sure you could find a low mileage one in that price range and have a much newer car. Just my .02

zabooda
06-08-2012, 11:24 AM
The new Shelbys at 660 hp may not be your chick car but I hear the ride is too quiet which makes it boring. I've always thought a good car is one where the engine drowns out someone's stereo. Now that is sweet music. "But the walls were shaking. The earth was quaking."

sandm
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
if 4 bangers where meant for the drag strip they would be using them in top fuel

there is a mechanical limit to the amount of horsepower you can extract out of a 4cyl and top fuel demands more.
I would throw out the challenge to any of your buddies have have true street legal v8's to run against the last guy to work on my evo. he has an '05 evo8 with a 2.3liter stroker motor laying down over 800hp. it's currently into the high-9's. any true car guy should be impressed by that.

I do totally agree with zabooda. although I'm an import guy at heart, nothing beats the sound of a high hp american v8 running through a well tuned exhaust... I've heard a few new stangs with the 5liter and a catback that sound plain nasty.... mmmmmmm....

jpetty3023
06-19-2012, 06:05 PM
These two guys at my local
Sonic agree it's cool to drive a vert stang

Sent from my home phone..

motosno963
06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
V6 too lol..i have decided to hold out and keep the boat for now till she acts up again..and when she does im going to sell and upgrade..PS i have a fly high fat seat hopefully shipping tomorrow

wolfeman131
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Those dudes rocking the fuzzy dice off the rearview?

And, it looks like the driver is kinda trying to cover his face with his hand.

loudsubz
06-20-2012, 12:58 PM
even though we only get to use the boat 3-4 months of the year, I still wouldn't trade that time for anything.

Cigars n scotch
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
even though we only get to use the boat 3-4 months of the year, I still wouldn't trade that time for anything.

Are you making payments or is your boat paid off?

I agree with you, but I use my boat at least 5 months sometimes 6 months out of the year if weather permits. If you're making payments on something you only use 1/3 of the year I find that hard to justify just IMO to keep doing it. A person who boats most likely has others friends who own boats too and can hop on with them.

And I guess it all depends on how much your payments are and what you're financial conditions are. Sometimes people don't think about all that goes into a boat, like my friend, and then soon realize its not worth the payment and effort if they can just hop on with someone.

If I only got 3 months worth of boating I would not own a boat, I'd catch rides with my friends. Just my opinion, that's all.

kaneboats
06-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Well said. I just moved.

bergermaister
06-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Paid for - our season has shrunk down here to basically July, August and September but it wasn't always like that. Used to be mid-May through September. Out here we've been experiencing the opposite of global warming the last 5 years...

You can stretch it on either end with a wetsuit (or drysuit if you're a diehard) when the weather cooperates. Just checked yesterday and the river finally hit 60 degrees. I too would have a hard time justifying a fat boat payment for something that sits 9 months out of the year, whether I could afford it or not. Even ponying out for upgrades like stereo, PP, ballast, new boards, etc. can be challenging to justify.

I've done hot rods, 4x4's, motorcycles, snow skiing, r/c cars & boats, etc. Basically a good fishing boat is all you can use year round out here. I have a few buddies with wakeboats, but when you have a bigger family you really need your own stuff.

My kids are jonesing now to put up another pool in the backyard for summer, only bigger this time. Probably in the $1500-2000 range. I'm sitting here going "really? It's 50 degrees and raining. You plan on busting out a wetsuit or something?"

motosno963
06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
my boats paid for soo if i sold it about 10G$ of it would be to pay off my two loans i have then the rest for more toys haha