PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a bigger garage door!

NCSUmoomba
06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
We didn't get back home from Falls Lake until late Sunday night, so I figured that I would deal with putting the boat up the next morning. So Monday morning, I go out and am backing the boat into the garage and I hear a pop. I think, "Damn, I have hit the door jamb again!" I look back and I have broken off about a foot of one of my rear tower legs. That'll take the wind out of your sails. This is not the first time I have hit the door jamb while backing in. In my defense, I am backing the boat up a hill, on gravel, in a curve, and through a 9 foot wide door, so it is not easy.

Momentarily, I consider this a sign that I should move up the timeline to make my Outback a dedicated slalom ski boat and add a V-drive to the stable. Why wait two more years? As my rationality returned I realized that it wasn't that big a deal and a good welder could take care of this in less that an hour.

So as I am writing this, the boat is at Triangle Stainless for the guys there to work a little TIG magic. I should get it back tomorrow. I hope it goes well.

Cigars n scotch
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Ouch! I am having trouble visualizing what you actually did. So on your towers rear foot you snapped the tower about a foot up?

NCSUmoomba
06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Yep, that is right. I should have taken a pic. I have the first generation Rad-A-Cage and I had it folded down to back into the garage. The rear legs stick out further than the rubrail when the tower is folded forward. Hung it on the door jamb and ripped it right off. Barely scratched the door jamb. I'm going at lunch to pick her up, I hope it worked out okay.

z28ke
06-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Man that sucks, how does it look? At my previous house I had about 1-2 inches of clearance on each side of the garage door. Backing it in was a task and I had to roll it out by hand.

We were on falls all afternoon Sunday and I don't recall seeing any other moombas. We launch at hwy 50.

dusty2221
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Got any pics yet?

Jet
06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Mine is also uphill, 45 degree turn, unhitch and push in and sideways by HAND!! Man its hard on a 105 degree day!

kaneboats
06-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Had one of them but straight in, no turn, but still pushing up hill. Sold it a couple weeks ago. Now poor baby is sitting outside in the rain at a temp/rental house.

04OUTBACK
06-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Dreaming of a full height garage. A buddy has a 40' dbl roll up door drive thru at the lake. Awesome. Drive in. In hook. Pull truck out close up.

Being a touch nomadic now. Mine is in in laws driveway. Although I founds 13x40 rental storage. Huge.

wolfeman131
06-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Could've left it in the ATL. I'd have taken real good care if it. :)

04OUTBACK
06-09-2012, 08:57 AM
butthead
would you keep the note and keep it full of gas too? if so, i'll just plan my travels to come through ATL every week!

Proud of you for owning up to the nickname

wolfeman131
06-09-2012, 09:03 AM
We know you paid cash money for that out of your "pocket change."

Gas is no problem! I've found a clever way to siphon it out of my neighbors 'bu! He keeps bitching about his fuel consumption and I just shake my head and say, "well, it is a really big boat."

04OUTBACK
06-09-2012, 09:17 AM
i used to go visit my grandmother at the Department store she worked at when i was a kid. She call it Rattlin money or foldin money.. these days, i have a tray full of rattlin money.. only thing folding is the spent receipts..
I will NOT be carrying any cash into my grave! Your regular Fica payments might carry me through a long "retirement" but i will not have to be worrying about any "heirs" for my estate..

Proper Financial planning:
last check you write the day before you die bounces cuz you just ran out.. :cool:

plus, with great moomba friends, who needs to have a place to live.. just be nomadic and move from one Moomba/Supra gathering to another every weekend. Sleep on some dude's couch...

Heck, why wait til retirement... i'm startin that today.. see ya in 8 hours. ;-)

jpetty3023
06-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Had one of them but straight in, no turn, but still pushing up hill. Sold it a couple weeks ago. Now poor baby is sitting outside in the rain at a temp/rental house.

You get your move on Kane?

Sent from my home phone..

NCSUmoomba
06-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, no pics yet, but I got it back from the welder Thursday. They did an okay job. The welds are not as pretty as the factory ones, but as long as they are solid, that's okay.

We launch at Bartons and ride south of 98 most of the time. Bartons was crazy. We waited for almost an hour to get onto the water.

z28ke
06-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, no pics yet, but I got it back from the welder Thursday. They did an okay job. The welds are not as pretty as the factory ones, but as long as they are solid, that's okay.

We launch at Bartons and ride south of 98 most of the time. Bartons was crazy. We waited for almost an hour to get onto the water.

That's why I pay the $50 season pass for hwy 50. We'll be out on Sunday between the ramp and the new light bridge.

kaneboats
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
You get your move on Kane?

Just down the block for now. We'll see what happens. In limbo an a deal right now.