PDA

View Full Version : Service turn around expectations

silverski
07-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I just got to the 20 hour point on my 05 and called to get an "appointment" for service. I was shocked to find out the dealer doesn't take apointments and would only guarantee that the boat would be done in 2 weeks on a first come first serve basis.

I have obviously been very spoiled as I owned a used I/O for 7 years and never had it into the shop. Did maintenance myself and never had any serviceable problems. The dealer that I bought the new Moomba from says they haven't taken any apointments for years. I can understand that they might want a 3 day window to get the work done and that parts might delay the process but 2 weeks? They said that if they didn't get to the boat I could come back and pick it up and bring it back again. An 80 mile round trip is something I tend to avoid doing. The season is short, I would rather spend the little time I have on the water.

Is this normal? Do other Moomba shops take apointments?

zabooda
07-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I would think they would be more accomidating considering two weeks is a fair chunk of the summer. With first come first served they must have a list of the boat order as they come in and they could place your boat on the list and for you to call regularly to see when your boat is coming up. You would have to be flexible to travel right before your number comes up. I would explain that you use your boat a lot and it is easier to call to see when the boat needs to be in rather than being called on how much longer before you start boating again. Except for the summer, these people aren't that busy so they can get to the boats right away.

My boat is long out of warrenty but I've been a customer of of this one marina for many years and he does the same thing but he usually happens to get to my boat within a few days at the expense of others who are waiting "a few weeks." Tell your marina that your friend Larry the Cable Guy told them to "get er dun!"

Buttafewcoe
07-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Westport Marina outside of Charlotte NC had mine back to me overnight after the 20 hr service. When I went back for the stereo problem, took it home the same day. For the fuel issue, same day. When I had the tower speakers mounted, overnight. Those guys are great. I think Chad (the salesman whom I bought from) checks the service department daily for his customers and expidites their needs. One word...EXCEPTIONAL.
Jim
North Carolina

amonteroman
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
My dealer, Island Marine in Corona, CA does all of their service by appointment. That's the only logical way to do service, otherwise it would be a very inefficient process with extended wait times and folks just wondering or guessing when thier boats will be done, especially when parts need to be ordered. Just my 2cents.Keep up the good work Island Marine!!

Todd
04 Outback