PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Möbius LSV Overheating and going into Limp mode

mpohl
06-06-2012, 09:14 AM
My boat worked perfectly all last year, and engine (Indmar Assault 325) has low hours--just reached 400. Had it winterized and dry stored at a marina. They changed the impeller for me and replaced the thermostat. It was running fine for a week but all of a sudden I'm getting overheating issues and the boat goes into limp mode.

The first run of the day, it always runs fine for about an hour and holds a steady temperature. Then it drifts and the engine goes into limp mode. One thing I've noticed is a decent amount of white smoke in the exhaust. Someone suggested it could be a riser or manifold issue. If this is the case, how should I check this?

The boat has only seen fresh water and I'm getting gas from the same place as last year, which says their gas is ethanol free. I don't have any power issues, so I don't think water is getting into the pistons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

kaneboats
06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Could be a couple of things. 1. They didn't really replace the thermostat and it's junk. 2. They did replace the thermostat and the new one is junk. 3. They didn't replace the old impeller and it's junk. 4. You have some kind of blockage in your coolant supply line. 5. Other, but I would check this stuff first and maybe pull spark plugs and have a look.

bergermaister
06-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Yikes. White smoke is usually due to water getting into a cylinder from a bad gasket, cracked block or a cracked head. No water in the oil?

kaneboats
06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't know if I would say it is "usually" from these causes but it certainly can be. You can see white smoke any time she's running hot. He doesn't have it all the time-- which he would if there was a cracked block or something, at least when it was warmed up. I'd definitely have a look at the dipstick and check the oil color though.

mpohl
06-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Checked oil, isn't milky or anything.

kaneboats
06-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I'll bet you have pieces of old impeller blocking the coolant flow. Anybody know where the link is to show him where to look?

squeeg333
06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Not sure where that post is, but I can try to describe it.

From the cooling pump, follow the supply line, the first thing it gets to is the transmision cooler (thin round black cansiter looking thing). Loosen the hose clamp on the water supply line to that cooler (NOT the hydraulic line) and pull that hose off the supply end of the cooler. Stick your finger up into the opening you just made in the cooler, about an inch or two in you'll feel the face of the "strainer" that prevents large pieces from going further into the engine. Feel around on that surface and you may find pieces of impellar in there - I did when I first got my boat. This may be your issue.

kaneboats
06-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Definitely let us know what you find out.

mcdye
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Not sure where that post is, but I can try to describe it.

From the cooling pump, follow the supply line, the first thing it gets to is the transmision cooler (thin round black cansiter looking thing).

On my 2002 OB LSV the trans cooler was between the vdrive and the fresh water pump. Not sure what year it changed but now they are as you descirbe.

mpohl
06-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Tried flushing out cooling intake. Still overheated. This time it wouldn't turn over again. For some reason one of the exhaust flaps on the back was missing. Took it to a mechanic today, he's going to look at it, take off the spark plugs, and see if water is in the pistons, and if it'll turn over. Oil still not milky, so hoping for the best, but it might be a broken head gasket.