PDA

View Full Version : Bad first impression - Box Anchor and Sand Spike

Clamcakes
06-05-2012, 10:19 PM
After a rough and hectic Memorial weekend at Lake Texhoma I decided I needed some better anchoring tools. The fluke anchor I was using wouldn't grab into Texhoma sandy bottom and kept pulling out every 15-20 minutes from wind and waves. I even tried to use a mini auger that I bought at Home Depot, screw that down in the sand and tie a line off. That didn't work and kept pulling out.

Did a search on the Moomba forum and saw some guys are using box anchors. I purchased a box anchor and sand spike from 'Slide Anchor' www.slideanchor.com

The packages arrived tonight about 730PM. I opened up the boxes and unwrapped the box anchor and sand spike. The first thing I noticed was the 'Made in China' sticker. Good Lord the build quality on these 2 products are shoddy. I will admit I haven't used these products yet, but looking at the welds and uneven cuts in the metal doesn't give me the 'warm and fuzzies' that these products will last long.

I was showing my wife and I told her I did better welds with an arc welder after 2 weeks of training in 8th grade metal shop! I'm wondering if Slide Anchor has a QA department that inspects these products before being sent to the customer? How could they let the way these products look goto the consumer!?!

Now I know the anchor isn't meant to be seen and will be underwater doing it's job, I guess it's form over function.

I've never done this before but actually sent the company an email voicing my concerns with the products. I guess what really burns me about it is the made in china. I work in IT and I had to go through the whole 'outsourcing to India' mess back in the early 2000s.
I understand it's probably cheaper to make the products in China and it's 'just business' I would expect if it was sourced here in the US they wouldn't leave the factory with shoddy welds with weld splatter on the metal and metal unevenly cut. Looks like small children are building these!!

Who knows 10 years from now these 2 products might still be on my boat with no issues, but my first impression wasn't a good one!!

Check out the pics to see for yourself.

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I hope it holds up well for you for years to come clam. I'm looking at pulling the trigger soon myself, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it holds up for ya

Sent from my home phone..

freshturk
06-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I agree that i was not happy with the sloppy welds on my slide anchor also, however the thing holds like none other and as long as the welds hold then who cares what they look like in the end.

E4NASH
06-06-2012, 07:07 AM
I got my box anchor from Overtons. Not sure if it's made by the same company or not but I am REALLY pleased and impressed with it so far. It has held GREAT through a really bad storm and some rough water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Guy
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Is there anyway that you could do a rough drawing with dimensions I'm pretty sure that I can make one of these in a hour and a couple beers.

Clamcakes
06-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I understand the anchor won't be seen and hopefully doing its job holding the boat in place. But, when I pulled that thing out of the box and saw the shoddy welds and considering i paid $150 that looks like it cost $10 to make I was very disappointed. Don't know why it fired me up so bad, but I was thinking this product looks like S*&t, cheaply made and I paid alot of money for both of them.

Razzman
06-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Yup it looks like crap, but after having it for two years and having the ability to tie four other boats to mine in the wind and it doesn't pull loose ... I could care less what it looks like.

I personally never opted for the sandspike, didn't see the purpose in the overpriced thing so I made my own per se. Went to home depot and bought a 24" concrete form stake in the building material department. Got a 24" piece of schedule 40 1/2" white PVC pipe and glued and end cap on one end and a threaded adapter on the other. I slide the stake in the tube and then thread on a threaded end cap and it's in it's own case. Been using that setup for four years now and it cost under $10 complete. I keep a small 2lb sledge in the locker with the stake and when needed I just bang it in real quick at an angle and it holds just as good if not better.

The Danik Hook is a way better investment than the sandspike as it controls the unruly rope mess making it way easier to shorten anchor rope, wouldn't ever be without one!

patrick232
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
For the money you can't buy a better Anchor than a Digger.
http://www.diggeranchor.com/
Will hold in any type of soil and if there any undercuts from rocks or trees it flips out and won't get stuck.

wolfeman131
06-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Yep, a couple guys said that the digger was the way to go.

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Is overtons the best place to get the box anchor. I'm ready to pull the trigger, I usually use amazon prime for things like this, free next day shipping and reduced price but amazon prime don't have the box anchor, just regular amazon. Also, can the danik hook be used on the bow outlet or is it made to be used with the shore spike?

wolfeman131
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Overton's is probably as good a place as any. I think they have free shipping over $100.

Yes, the danik can be used on the bow eye.

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Ok sweet, figured you'd have a quick answer wolfey. Just called local boat dealership (not sc dealer, fishing dudes and tahoes) and he said he can prolly get one to me by tomo. He's gonna call me back with price

wolfeman131
06-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I think I saw them at West Marine, too if you have one of those close by.

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Wolfey you just might be my new hero, im so done with Oprah-:). Have a west marine in austin and they have 1 in stock, just got off phone with them and it's gonna be 145 bucks, in hand today for this weekends camping trip. My local guy called back and is gonna charge 169 so I know where im going!!

wolfeman131
06-06-2012, 04:23 PM
There ya go, bro! Remember than danik hook, too . They are a bit pricey (Maybe $35-40) but are really worth it.

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah the local store don't have any in stock so I'm
Gonna check academy. The danik looks
like nothing more than something a rock
Climber would use to climb. Maybe I can find something similar at academy

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Ordered the danik from west marine on line. Will be here tomo, shipping cost as much as the dang danik!! Oh well, least I'll have the set up for this weekend

Cigars n scotch
06-06-2012, 10:05 PM
How does this danik thing work? Trying to learn something new here. Petty can you take a vid or pics of how you use it this wknd?

wolfeman131
06-06-2012, 10:09 PM
From Danik Hook website:

"Simply attach one end to your anchor and the other* end to your boat. The anchor line slides freely when holding the lever down. When released, the unique mechanism grips the line at the position you desire."

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I sure can CnS. Basically thou it acts as a rope feeder. Throw your anchor in and instead of tying off your rope with a D ring or a knot on your bow tie down the rope goes thru the daniker and the daniker is attached to your bow. Once the anchor and rope is set to the correct depth you "lock" the rope in place with the daniker and it holds. No mess of rope in the water. It's sort of like what a rock climber would use with his ropes to "lock" himself in place

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 10:38 PM
I sure can CnS. Basically thou it acts as a rope feeder. Throw your anchor in and instead of tying off your rope with a D ring or a knot on your bow tie down the rope goes thru the daniker and the daniker is attached to your bow. Once the anchor and rope is set to the correct depth you "lock" the rope in place with the daniker and it holds. No mess of rope in the water. It's sort of like what a rock climber would use with his ropes to "lock" himself in place. It's easily adjusted accordingly to the depth of water your in

jpetty3023
06-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Here's their www

http://danikhook.com/

viking
06-06-2012, 11:36 PM
For the money you can't buy a better Anchor than a Digger.
http://www.diggeranchor.com/
Will hold in any type of soil and if there any undercuts from rocks or trees it flips out and won't get stuck.

I'm gonna get me one of these! Had the box anchor last year but at the end of the season somebody unhooked my buoy it was tied to off shore and it is never to be found. For those on here probably remember the story. At any rate, I liked it but some muddy bottoms didn't hold so well. Digger for me this go round and cheaper too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clamcakes
06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Used the box anchor for the first time last saturday and it works as advertised. As soon as I tossed it in, it grabbed the bottom and held. There was alot of wind and boats coming in and out of the cove we were in, and the boat didn't move an inch. It was pretty tough pulling it back up though, took a few minutes to get it out of the water

Just hope with the shoddy welding that it doesn't rust out in a couple seasons.

Razzman
06-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Used the box anchor for the first time last saturday and it works as advertised. As soon as I tossed it in, it grabbed the bottom and held. There was alot of wind and boats coming in and out of the cove we were in, and the boat didn't move an inch. It was pretty tough pulling it back up though, took a few minutes to get it out of the water

Just hope with the shoddy welding that it doesn't rust out in a couple seasons.

Two seasons now and it hasn't rusted yet. Those shoddy welds as you call them are stronger than you think, I had four other boats tied up to mine in fairly strong winds two years ago and it didn't budge one bit. Hot Dip Galvanizing will look new for years.