PDA

View Full Version : Help a fellow boater out

Clamcakes
06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
We were at Lake Texhoma for Memorial weekend and had to help a fellow boater out after he lost an engine. We were waiting for some friends at Grandpappys Point marina while they got some ice and a pump out. I noticed this big cruiser just kinda cruising around the cove, didn't know if he was a novice driver or just having a hard time getting into the dock. After about 10 mins of me trying to maneuver around and stay away from him, a lady in the boat finally said 'We're not trying to hit you we lost an engine'

Everytime he tried to go straight it would get all squirrelly and he couldnt make it into the dock. I finally said throw me a line (then second guessed for a split second thinking how am i going to tow this bigazz boat in)

Only had to get him about 50yards to the dock. But they threw me a line and my wife hitched it to the ski pylon. That pylon is strong, i was worried that thing was going to get pulled out pulling this 40ft+ cruiser.

mmandley
06-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Sweet man, should of got a couple pics of you pulling him from your boat, i bet all you saw was nose LOL

dusty2221
06-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Woah, hold up Clamcakes! You are in my neck of the woods! Grandpappy used to be whee we went 100% of the time. We are putting in at Highport Saturday morning before the sun comes up, any chance you are gonna be at Texoma?

Clamcakes
06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
sorry for the quality, my 9 yr old took the video and didnt realize the lense was foggy

http://youtu.be/jCpDUpE45DU

Clamcakes
06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I live in Dallas and we mostly hit the area lakes around here. Buddy with the 26ft boat in the picture goes to Texhoma every Memorial weekend so we met them up there for a couple days. They get a campsite at Preston Bend cook and hangout there and they sleep on their boat. We got a room a couple nights in Denison.

dusty2221
06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, hit me up if you guys make it to Texoma Saturday. Give Highport a shot and I will show you around a bit on that side of the lake. Like I said, trying for about a 6:15 arrival and plan on staying until dark if I had to guess.

Clamcakes
06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I think the next time we're hitting Texhoma is Labor Day weekend. Man it sure was rough Memorial weekend. Got beat to hell. I filled up the center ballast to help keep the nose down a little more. That seemed to help a bit.
Coming up weekend is Grapevine and following weekend will be Lewisville. A buddy of mine birthday and his wife rented one of those 50 person party barges.
2 weeks (June 22) is the big trip to Ouachita!!

dusty2221
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Memorial, the 4th, and Labor day show Texoma at it's absolute worst. Or, as we call it "Hurricane Texoma"

Clamcakes
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Never driven a huge boat like the one I had to tow in. But with a dual engine setup and you lose an engine, you would think that you could keep the boat straight and get where you're going?? Thinking that the props spin in opposite rotation to each other, reason why he lost one engine it got squirrely on him??

KSmith
06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
LOL watching that video first thing that pops to mind is "must.... run... faster..."

Clamcakes
06-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Man once i took the slack out of the line i tried to keep it in idle speed to get him to the dock. Wasn't happenin'. Had to give it some juice to get him going. Heard the ski pylon give a little squeak.

parrothd
06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Never driven a huge boat like the one I had to tow in. But with a dual engine setup and you lose an engine, you would think that you could keep the boat straight and get where you're going?? Thinking that the props spin in opposite rotation to each other, reason why he lost one engine it got squirrely on him??

Makes a big difference on my twin jet boat, makes it really hard to maneuver, like driving a bus.. :)

WaterBullDawg1980
06-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Sweet video brotha. Strange about the engine. I would think you still would be able to get it to the dock. Unless it was crazy windy out there which it didn't seem to be.

jester
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Great tow. Next time have him move his rudder to midship (center) and he will track right behind your boat. The Ski pylon looks like it is built right into the engine mount so it should be better to two from that then the tie downs.

BensonWdby
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Great show of true mariner behavior. Unlike a firend of mine who hit something with his 98 Boomerang in his lake. Broke the rudder and swim platform and was taking on water. He hailed the closest boat - a fishing boat - they said the fish had just started to bite and he would have to wait. A neighbor who was on-shore - inside - heard the impact, came out to see, put his boat in anc rescued. What difference between attitudes...

wolfeman131
06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Well, what kind of fish were biting? For some 4 lb bass, I kinda get it but not if it was some bottom feeding catfish.

Of course, I'm joking.

Great job helping out. I've helped quite a few folks by giving a tow, but I'm not sure I would have tied off to that monster.

Clamcakes
06-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Well goes to show the strength of the ski pylon. Probably not recommended to tow a huge boat like that long distances. Only had to get him to the dock which was about 50-75 yards away.

wolfeman131
06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I think if you run into something like that, it's best to make a bridle off both rear eyelets then tie your tow rope off that to the other boat. It helps to better distribute the force. If possible, it's also best to bridle the boat being towed, but attach points might be tricky and the bow eye is a strong tow point, regardless.

http://www.boatingsafety.com/tow2.htm

Jet
06-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Hey BensonWdby. I know where your secret spot is. AND I also know Nathan Aust.