PDA

View Full Version : Who is running a light bar?

Dubwake21
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I am considering the Monster Tower 2 forward, 2 backward 55W light bar. I'm just not sure how much I would really use it. My boat use these days is on the ICWW trailering to the boat ramp each day, so I tend to pull out before dusk anyway. If I lived on a lake and we went for evening cruises, and I needed it to get back to the dock or through tight spots, I would be able to validate it more. What are you using it for, how often do you use it, is it a good product, etc.? Are you guys really riding or surfing at night? Thanks in advance!

kaneboats
06-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I make sure we get the heck out before dark around here.

This is where we ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_HeUT8hs_c

NCSUmoomba
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I have a Wake Designs light bar that came with my boat when I bought it. I'm not a big fan. I have posted this before, my light are good for two things: (1) light up inside the boat back at ramp to gather gear, and (2) attract bugs. Mine actually make it harder to see while underway. Now mine are old and I am sure the light technology is better and there are different types of reflectors and such, but that is my experience.

dusty2221
06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
We have used ours when night surfing, that's about it. Trying to use them for navigation is pointless. Downfall with using them for surfing, all those bugs that are attracted to it end up dead ALL over the sunpad and in the boat.

bergermaister
06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Around here they're technically illegal to use while running. Did a late night boarding session with them on once years ago but all they really did was draw attention to the fact that we were doing something we shouldn't be. Thought about upgrading to a bar so took my lights off couple years ago - have not missed them. Just one more thing to attract bugs or hit your head on.

Dubwake21
06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Kane - looks like a good reason not to fall. I think I will stick with my docking lights.

T100
06-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Here is my set up, I converted from halogen bulbs to LED. Great for night surfing, docking and night wake boarding. They are killer bright, one forward - two facing back.

sandm
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
I wanted a set on my tower-all for the bling factor-but it wasn't wired for it. never have gotten around to putting a set on and probably never will. it's illegal here to surf/board/ski at night so as mentioned above, it would just attract attention and our ramps are pretty well lit for the fisherman that launch/retrieve in the early morning/late night.

never even thought of the bug factor and glad I never did..

moombahighrider
06-07-2012, 12:58 AM
I had a custom light bar for a few years- 4 front, 2 rear. Used once, but that was only when we went out at night while camping, just for fun. We really should not have gone out at night because the lights were useless.
I took them off before last season and have not missed them at all. One more dead weight on the boat and tower, IMO.