PDA

View Full Version : New for us 2002 Moomba LSV -- Questions, Questions, Questions!!!

EricU
06-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Just got a 2002 Moomba LSV, with just a hair under 200 hours (just over after last weekend). This boat is replacing a ’96 Ski Sanger (good boat – for skiing, no wake!) which replaced a ’03 Natique Super Air Team edition that I bought brand new but had to sell when the economy and my business collapsed.

So anyway, we took the boat out last weekend and loved it. Had our mechanic go through it, changed the plugs and all the fluids before we put it in the water. The boat ran great, and I actually liked the way it responded better than my old Natique.

We use the boat as a wakeboarding family tow rig, including myself (a short fat bald old guy) with my wife, three teenage boys and their friends. My buddy’s family includes himself (another shorter, fatter but with hair old guy) his wife and one each daughter (16 and smokes the wakeboard now) and son (9 and just got up last weekend). We live in NorCal and like to hit the local lakes, board for a while then find a good spot to hang out, listen to tunes as the kids swim, then hit the boards again and start the cycle over.

Being that I bought this boat used I have quite a few questions regarding various topics, so if my post seems a little jumbled, well it’s because I am a little jumbled. If you could point in the right direction to any of my questions below, I would appreciate it.

I saw some pics in the forums and it looked like their tower pivoted towards the rear of the boat. Is this correct? Mine pivots forward but is kinda rigged right now as the mirror is in the way of the tower resting on the boat itself. The previous owner has the mirror mounted low to be under the Bimini. I need to either move the mirror or rig the tower to pivot towards the rear of the boat. Any ideas or suggestions?
Video camera mount for the tower?
Dual battery setup – Thinking of adding a Blue Seas set up -- Could use a single line to help with wire size and what hooks up where. I want the dual batteries to allow the use of the stereo which right now has (3) pairs of 6.5” (?) boat mounted speakers (they look like factory locations) and two more sets of the same speakers in two tower mounted tubes, a sub mounted at the driver’s foot and a single amp (I think!) mounted next to the battery under the glove box.
The boat didn’t come with a Perfect Pass,

A) Should I add a Perfect pass Star Gazer?

B) And leave one of the analog speedos?

C) Is it easy to install?
The boat has three ballast sacks which kind of surprised me as I was used to the tanks in my Natique. We haven’t filled them yet, but want to this weekend.

Am I supposed to store items (vests, towels etc) on top of the empty bags? Then remove the stored items previous to filling the sacks?
The Kenwood stereo head unit seems to have been upgraded as it has a USB port (which is what I want). The remote next to the driver kinda sucks and works intermittently. Can the remote be changed out? Head units aren’t all that expensive (relatively) but since all I really care about is the USB port, I would rather spend the money on amps and speakers.

Speakers!

A) Tower – I don’t really want any of the ones tuned for 60’ – 80’ back as most of our listening is done while parked. Any suggestions?

B) Gunwale mounted speakers seem to have been also changed out as they are Pioneer units and so far sound ok - again, any suggestions if I do change them out?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the lonnnnggg...post! Eric.

moombadaze
06-05-2012, 07:38 AM
replys

1) it designed to fold forward, if you try to fold backwrds you will find the tower about 3 feet higher in the air above the boat--I tried with my 03 LSV

2) no idea

3)not sure

4) dont have one so no comment

5) yes you can store stuff on top when empty, then remove to fill bags up. I have stored 6 boards, cooler, jackets and stuff on top when trailering long distance, thats one of the advantages of the bags

6) check for a compatiable remote and just swap it out

7) personally, I like my Exile equipment, go with the "surfing" speakers. they have quick disconnects that work great so you dont have the speakers on the tower when you go to fold it down, and you can rotate the speakers to face fowards if needed.

Hope that helps some and congrats on the newer boat and make sure to get some photos of the boat up, we like pictures

kaneboats
06-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I like the Exile SXT65. Send Brian a PM and see what he can do. You'll love this boat. I have Perfect Pass and like it OK but it came stock on my '08 so I don't know anything about installs. Try running some searches on here. Just about everything you would want to do has been covered at some point. Lot's of help from pros and owners with experience too. Enjoy!

jpetty3023
06-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Congrats on the new tug boat and welcome to the moomba maniac family

bbuhtz
06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the forum and congratz on the new boat.

From the list of questions I would think IMO the single biggest upgrade you could do with the boat that would not only be an awesome upgrade for the boat but would help the family out with your boarding sports would be the Perfect Pass if you can afford it. It is a fairly easy install and customer service from the company is awesome.

As for folding the tower, I personally rotate the mirror arm inward so it doesn't contact the bow when folding the tower forward.

bergermaister
06-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome aboard!

Chiming in -
1) yes, folds forward so plan accordingly when running speaker wires up the legs for your tower speakers. Seems awkward but that's just the way it is.

2) There's a few out there on-line, spendy option. I'd designate someone in the boat to be your videographer.

3) Suggest you search the forums for that - lots of options and opinions on dual battery setups.

4) If it's in the budget - DEFINITELY. I put this off for a few years, one of the best upgrades I've done. Yes, leave one speedo in, PP on the other side. You'd be installing the mechanical version which is quite easy. It's a 1.5hr DIY project. Even easier if you go the Stargzer route - no drilling holes. Probably the most difficult part is routing the wires from the engine compartment up to the helm. Easy peasy.

5) What Daze said. I removed my factory hard tanks, added the bags. Way more storage when empty, way more options to load it up with bigger bags if you want. I tend to move gear side to side when loading up for surfing.

6) can't help there

7) LOTS of options. If you're mostly interested in the in-cabin listening do you really need tower speakers? I know they look cool but...

cab13367
06-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Dual battery setup – Thinking of adding a Blue Seas set up -- Could use a single line to help with wire size and what hooks up where. I want the dual batteries to allow the use of the stereo which right now has (3) pairs of 6.5” (?) boat mounted speakers (they look like factory locations) and two more sets of the same speakers in two tower mounted tubes, a sub mounted at the driver’s foot and a single amp (I think!) mounted next to the battery under the glove box.

Here you go. Be sure to read the last post on the thread for an important update.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?14636-Wiring-Diagram-for-Blue-Sea-Add-A-Battery-(Switch-ACR-Combo)&highlight=blue+wiring+diagram

EricU
06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Just got a 2002 Moomba LSV, with just a hair under 200 hours ...

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

I think I will start with the following projects:

Stargazer Perfect Pass install (I may sub this out if I can find someone in the Napa, CA area as I want to spend my weekends on the water!)

Dual Batteries Install

Probably do this one myself
Probably use a Blue Seas ACR
Add one Group 29 Marine battery as a "House" battery
Should I upgrade to a larger altenater? Mostly woried about when we take off for a week to one of the local lakes with no electrical at the campground or dock facility (we are 30 minutes from Berryessa, but we are in driving range of Clear Lake, Shasta, The Delta, Bullards Bar...)

Spend more time on the water install!!!

Thanks again! Eric

bergermaister
06-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Stargazer Perfect Pass install (I may sub this out if I can find someone in the Napa, CA area as I want to spend my weekends on the water!)

Thanks again! Eric

You can do this one on your own - really, it's plug and play. Much better than $100+ an hour shop rates, making an appt, etc...

Dual batteries, running cable and switches can be a little more challenging if you're not that daring.

motosno963
06-07-2012, 03:04 AM
for number 2 i have a go pro and i put a mount on top of the rope holder..its 3 am i forget what its called..its on top of the tower and u loop your rope around it when ur wakeboarding..anyways its flat on top and its nice..i can record everything, from carving out to jumping the wake u can see it alll

EricU
06-08-2012, 01:06 AM
for number 2 i have a go pro and i put a mount on top of the rope holder..its 3 am i forget what its called..its on top of the tower and u loop your rope around it when ur wakeboarding..anyways its flat on top and its nice..i can record everything, from carving out to jumping the wake u can see it alll

Do you know what that mount is called? Does it swivel with the rope? I had one 9 years ago on my other boat and I dont remember what it was called or where I got it. Used to mount a Sony camcorder on it back then.

Eric.

motosno963
06-08-2012, 01:57 AM
no it doesn't swivel but since the go pro has like a fish eye lens it catches everything this is a still i took a pic of when i ate it doing a backflip..i took a picture of my computer screen but you get the idea