PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light Flashing on 12 Outback V

04 Sun Mob LS
06-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Ok, after being without a boat for a few years the wife and I decided to purchase again. After look at the competition, we settled on an Outback V 12'. The fit, finish, and overall workmanship on the boat is much better than my 04 mobius ls. Although we really liked that boat.
Picked it up on Saturday on put it in the water on Sunday. After cruising around, rode up to a local marina. We entered the no wake zone and began to idle through to the restaurant. But, I noticed that the check engine light started to flash and quickly checked my gages. I found the temp was running above 180. Maybe around 200. I put the boat into neutral turned it off. once it cooled down we bagan back out into the lake to head back to the ramp. But it started flashing again. I noticed the temp was high, but it began to fall and the light stopped flashing again. It did this several times before getting out of the no wake zone. Once we got out and we got under way(around 2000 rpm) the temp stayed around 160. But when we started to idle again it would raise again. Sometimes the check light flashed sometimes not.
Never had this come up on my Mobius. Is it normal for this to happen during break in?

wolfeman131
06-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Are you talking about this light up by the igition key or the one by the throttle lever?

If it's the one by the igition key, then no, that isn't normal. I never saw mine come on at any time, with either boat.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing my temp rise when I dropped to idle. It sucks, but I'd get that boat back to the dealer and have them check it out.

moombadaze
06-04-2012, 07:19 AM
if its the light by the throttle, that is normal to have the light come on at idle or below 1200rpm I think it is, that is our V drive warning light. Now if that light is on when your at a higher rpms then shut her down and check the V drive fluid level pronto.

KSmith
06-04-2012, 07:24 AM
if its the light by the throttle, that is normal to have the light come on at idle or below 1200rpm I think it is, that is our V drive warning light. Now if that light is on when your at a higher rpms then shut her down and check the V drive fluid level pronto.

^^^^^ Agreed.

KSmith
06-04-2012, 07:30 AM
If it's the one by the igition key, then no, that isn't normal. I never saw mine come on at any time, with either boat.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing my temp rise when I dropped to idle. It sucks, but I'd get that boat back to the dealer and have them check it out.

^^^^^^ Also Agreed. Mine will run about 180 at times but if it is hitting 200 there would seem to be some sort of issue, maybe a bad impeller, some blockage in the line, maybe the inlet valve is not fully open, . Apparently if you are running higher RPMs and the temp is dropping it would seem the water flow is increasing enough to cool the engine but it is not getting enough water thru to cool it down at low RPM.

kaneboats
06-04-2012, 07:58 AM
I'll bet he's got a strainer and picked up a bunch of debris that is restricting the water flow. Look for the water inlet and trace the line to see if there is a water strainer. You can unscrew the bowl and clean the debris out of the screen. Had this happen to me running through a shallow channel in Clermont following another boat that was churning up a bunch of debris.

wolfeman131
06-04-2012, 08:19 AM
I'll bet he's got a strainer and picked up a bunch of debris that is restricting the water flow. Look for the water inlet and trace the line to see if there is a water strainer. You can unscrew the bowl and clean the debris out of the screen. Had this happen to me running through a shallow channel in Clermont following another boat that was churning up a bunch of debris.

Good place to start if it's the light by the ignition key.

If it's the one by the throttle lever, then Moombasaze is correct.

Give us some more details, Sun Mob and we'll help you get it figured out.

04 Sun Mob LS
06-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Yea its the light by the ignition key. The dealer is not in today but called another indmar mechanic. He said it could be the impeller or he said that the MC's are having an issue that he heard about today with symptoms same as mine. Getting hot at idle but, cooling down at crusing speeds. He tried to explain the MC issue but, I am not that familiar with the parts he was talking about. Although it sounded expensive to fix. I do not think I have a strainer but, I am still getting familiar with the boat. I could not even find the strainer or pumps for the ballast yesterday.
I plan on calling the dealer I bought it from tomorrow. I guess I'll have to take it back to them. That sucks. They are 2.5 hrs away. Sat. is the only time I can do it. SO, i am out for at least a week while they diagnose and repair the issue.

wolfeman131
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
OK, well wish it had been the other warning light as that does stink since it's the engine light. As Kapt'n Kraig stated, something is impeeding your water flow and it's probably in the impeller. There is a slight change its the thermostat.

Kane suggested you check the strainer for the impediment. Check your manual and you will then be able to easily find it in your boat. Pull the rear seat, the plastic cover over the transmission and it will be on your right as you face the back of your boat. However, first check your Bill of Sale. It's an option and will be listed there. If you didn't pay for it, you dont have it. They aren't required for folks who boat in clean lakes.

Your ballast pumps are behind a panel in the port (left) locker at the transom (back) of the boat.

Did you water test the boat at the dealer before you took possession? I'd give the dealer a call and ask that they come get the boat from you. At the very least, meet you halfway. And, tomorrow or Wed so you can have it back on Fri or Sat. It won't be an expensive fix for you as your boat is still under warranty.

04 Sun Mob LS
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Well called the dealer today and explained waht was going on. He said it sounded like the thermostate was opening and closing as the temp got hot or cold. He said that the check engine light flashing could have been from an air pocket in the system. He said suggested to take the boat out again and keep an eye on it. He said that it sounded like the boat was doing what is should do. So, we'll take it out this week end and see what happens. THanks for the reply's. I'll post again after this week end.

Salyers
06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
That just doesn't sound right. Going from 160-200 seems like a large range to swing back an forthbetween. I would worry if my engine ever got close to 200. Even with the LS I didn't see changes that dramatic. Keep a close eye on those temps. An engine rebulid is not cheep!

KSmith
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
That just doesn't sound right. Going from 160-200 seems like a large range to swing back an forthbetween. I would worry if my engine ever got close to 200. Even with the LS I didn't see changes that dramatic. Keep a close eye on those temps. An engine rebulid is not cheep!

Agreed, keep a real close eye on the temp. I'm not real impressed with the thermostat opening and closing, they aren't supposed to work like that, once they warm up they should stay open, unless the water tempurature decreased dramatically it should stay open... are you running thru ice flows?

DOCDRS
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Curious , do you have a heater?

04 Sun Mob LS
06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Nope no heater that I am aware of.