PDA

View Full Version : Water in Fuel? 2001 Outback

moabbikr
06-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Hello all,
Im a new Moomba owner, i bought a used 2001 Outback and have enjoyed a couple of good hours on thewater when all of the sudden the boat died while running through a no wake area. The boat would start back up but would die again quickly when i tried to accelerate, first thought was out of fuel since the fuel gage didn't seem to move off of full. After limping it back to the dock and running to the fuel station and only getting 13 gallons in i realized i wasn't out of gas.

While looking around the engine and looking in the carb i saw these beads, does this mean i have water in the fuel?

Also, i noticed i have an inline fuel filter and no water separator that i can find? Are there any filters on the carb itself or just the one inline filter?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks all..

zabooda
06-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Disconnect the gas line, connect a power source to the fuel pump and pump out the tank into gas cans. Put about three gallons of good gas in the tank and run about a gallon through, change out the filter and connect the gas line. You should be good to go. I do this when I de-winterize just to make sure and get out the old gas that may have water in it.

KSmith
06-04-2012, 07:37 AM
If it is water in the tank then you might want to find out how the water is getting in there if it seems like more water than condensation would be expected to produce and how old the gas is that was in the tank. My Dad's old boat had a intermitant water in the gas issue for a couple of years before we found the problem. The fuel tank had a vent independant of the filling cap, which as just below the rub rail on the bow. It was pretty high above the waterline but it turned out if someone were out on the bow and a big enough roller came by the bow would dip enough to put the vent below the waterline. We relocated the vent and never had water in the gas again.

moabbikr
06-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Based on the photo of the beads do you feel that is indeed water in the fuel? Is there a way to test? I went ahead and
ordered a water fuel separator to help with the situation but i know that won't' exactly solve whats already in the tank.

moabbikr
06-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Success! Not sure what exactly fixed it but who cares at this point..
This is what I did:
• Drained and refilled with fresh fuel
• Replaced spark plugs
• Installed new cap and rotor
• Set Holley carb air mixture to the default, 1.5 turns
• Set timing to 15

Running smooth and responsive!!!

kaneboats
06-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Very glad to hear it. Enjoy!