PDA

View Full Version : Bad day

rsinger
06-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Just came back from putting one of our dogs down. Man was it hard to do. Amazing how much an animal affects ones life. The house sure seems a lot emptier.

wolfeman131
06-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Sorry to read this Ron.

dusty2221
06-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Ron, I feel your pain. Sorry brother.

rsinger
06-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Thank you guys. It's a day later and you got be bawling again.

He wasn't very active anymore, and almost couldn't get up but we still miss him just being there.

New Guy
06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Sorry Ron the loss of anyone close is always tough.

WaterBullDawg1980
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Man. So sorry to hear this. Been there and it is a horrible thing to go through. Two items of advice that I was given that really did help my spirits.

1. Your little buddy is in a better place and is running around pain free. Remember that.
2. Look into getting another pet. I hope that doesn't come across as harsh, but it really did help us that we had just adopted another dog right before our rottie passed.

Sorry for your loss man. Dogs truly are our best friends. Losing one is really tough.

Sent from my bag phone using Tapatalk Dos

rsinger
06-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Man. So sorry to hear this. Been there and it is a horrible thing to go through. Two items of advice that I was given that really did help my spirits.

1. Your little buddy is in a better place and is running around pain free. Remember that.
2. Look into getting another pet. I hope that doesn't come across as harsh, but it really did help us that we had just adopted another dog right before our rottie passed.

Sorry for your loss man. Dogs truly are our best friends. Losing one is really tough.

Sent from my bag phone using Tapatalk Dos

1. We never truly know, but I have already mentioned to my wife that I do hope there's an afterlife and it does help if you believe this.
2. We still have one dog left, actually one of the siblings, so he's getting a lot more attention now.

We had to put a shelty down about 12 years ago, but in an emergency situation. I said I would NEVER again get another dog (because of the grief putting him down), yet we got 2 six months later.

I've found that the years of companionship and joy they give you almost compensate at potentially having to put them to sleep at the latter part of their life.

Aw crap, it's hard to type through tear covered eyes.

Thanks for the advice.

TL7
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Hang in there bud. It get's easier as time passes. I still miss Buddy our beagle and it's been a year and a half now, but all the thoughts I have now are happy ones. You'll never replace him so don't try, just hang on to the memories and smile!

jpetty3023
06-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Tough read, prayers and condolences sent

Sent from my home phone..

rdlangston13
06-02-2012, 04:04 PM
We had to do this with my girls brother dog the last time i was home. He had gotten tumors on his couple toes on his back feet about 6-8 months ago and they went ahead and removed his toes and said that it could return. Well it did and with a vengeance. He had lost some of his appetite and then i went to work for three weeks and when I came home he was super skinny, wouldnt eat or really move at all. Some days he would just sit in the same spot all day never getting up. My girls brother took him to the vet and they xrayed him and found the tumors have spread over all his major organs and that we needed to put him down asap or he would suffocate or starve to death. It was a very sad day for everyone, never had to do that before and I wont be looking forward to it when our little dachshunds get to that age.

rsinger
06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
We had to do this with my girls brother dog the last time i was home.

My heart goes out to you. It's hard getting it done, but I'm sure in both our cases it ended the suffering.

I didn't know if I would be able to go with the wife to put him down, but I managed. The wife, I, and one of our sons were there when the vet put him to sleep. In retrospect, I'm glad I went, and was there with him when he drew his last breath. He was with his family, and I hope our presence made it easier for him.

I'm sure our dog was in pain although the vet said he had lost feeling his back side. He stopped getting up to get treats like potatoes and carrots, as well as he also wasn't going at his food the way he used to. That's when I knew it was time and wife made the call.

bergermaister
06-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Thoughts are with you and the family Ron - definitely a tough one. He's in a better place now.

mmandley
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Nothing more to add that hasnt been said friend. It will get easier as time passes. I know ill be lossing my Doby of 12 years soon, hes almost completly blind, forgets whats hes doing all the time and is getting really agressive with everyone.

Hang in there man.

rsinger
06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Been almost 2 days now. The excruciating grief is almost gone.

Yesterday was a perfect day for the water, but I didn't even care. The summer is just starting and there will be plenty of days to get the boat out.

I just want to say thanks for the support. It really helped a lot.

kaneboats
06-03-2012, 09:57 PM
With you too, bro! Nuff said.

rsinger
04-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Had to put his brother down tonight. He lasted almost a year longer. They're back together again. Saving grace was believing his brother was going to meet him on the other side. These guys gave us so much love, and I hope we gave them a good home while they were here.

wolfeman131
04-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Sorry to see this thread pop back up. Best to you and your family during this tough time.

04OUTBACK
04-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Sorry to hear. My old gal is almost 14. I know it's coming

kaneboats
04-23-2013, 09:12 AM
An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate in the fence and looked in, it was nice - grassy, woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so they walked on.

They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white robes standing there. "Welcome to Heaven" he said. The old man was happy and started in with his dog following him. The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed, I'm sorry but he can't come with you."

"What kind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If He can't come in, then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful companion all his life, I can't desert him now."

"Suit yourself, but I have to warn you, the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you into his area, he'll promise you anything, but, the dog can't go there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll spend Eternity on this road."

So the old man and dog went on. They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate, just a hole. Another old man was inside.

"Scuse me Sir, my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile?"

"Of course, there's some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves comfortable"

"You're sure my dog can come in? The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed anywhere."

"Would you come in if you had to leave the dog?"

"No sir, that's why I didn't go to Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spending Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't come in if my buddy here can't come too, and that's final."

The man smiled a big smile and said "Welcome to Heaven."

"You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that fellow down the road said they weren't?"

"That was the Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a life long companion for a comfortable place to stay. They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late. The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there. GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all, HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he separate them in death?"

If you like the story, check out the snopes page for a TRUE story about a little girl who lost her dog:

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/abbey.asp

moombadaze
04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

maxpower220
04-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Sorry for the loss of a pet and friend.

Nothing does a heart better than a new puppy though.

rsinger
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Nothing does a heart better than a new puppy though.

After the loss of my first dog, I said never again. 6 months later we had 2 new puppies, one of which we just "did an act of kindness" on. I'm at the never again phase, and still looking at the love seat to see him sleeping there.

Another puppy (or 2), you never know. I think the years of love outweigh the days of grief.

Thanks, everyone, for the support.