PDA

View Full Version : 06 obv wakesurf ballast help

kwm55ex
05-29-2012, 11:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me with ballast set-up on my 06 obv for wakesurfing. My current setup, i fill the center bag full. I have wedge sacs in the back compartments, and fill only the left side. I believe the wedge sacs are 280 pounds a piece. I also have a 540 "big bag" that i put on the left side of the main lounge. I have a driver and two passengers that sit on the left side. I've found that the best speed is between 9 and 10 mph. I have the wakeplate at 1/2. The wake seems very short and tall. I would like to lengthen the pocket. I was thinking that I could swap the wedgs sac for a 400 lb bag, but not sure is that would be worth the upgrade. Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

wolfeman131
05-29-2012, 11:23 PM
The OBV will have a shorter, taller wave due to the hull design. Try a 750 in the rear locker, center full, maybe a 370lb tube sac under the port seats (cut out the cooler) and something in the bow. An IBS would be great, but first try one of your 280's or the 540. Put the wake plate at least 3/4 UP and try 10.0-10.5 mph.

Speed will lengthen the pocket as will putting the plate down. Work different cobos to get the optimal height & length.

Canuckle Head
05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I have the same hull as you and run the following:

750 in the rear locker, 750 in the main lounge area, 400 in the centre locker and an IBS (approximately 500lbs) up in the bow. Get about 2 or 3 adults in there as well and you have yourself a pretty decent wave as far as an older hull style OBV goes.

I think our speed is usually at 10.5 - 10.8mph and the wake plate at 3/4 of the way up.

kwm55ex
05-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Looks like I need to get some wieght! I think for starters, I'm going to upgrade the rear locker sac, keep the 540 sac, and get a sac for the bow. Thx for the help everyone.

parrothd
05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
So what should the wave look like?

Since we're new to wakesurfing it seems like the pocket is very small area, the wave is very steep and if you're not careful you can get enough speed to hit the swim platform or the back side of the boat. Guess we need to lengthen/widen the pocket?

Currently, we have a 750(full) in the rear, 750(halfish) port side center and a tube sac(300lb ish) up front and around 9.5-10mph..A little faster and a little wakeplate and more weight up front?

I have 02 LSV, guess that's the same hull as the OBV...

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 12:01 PM
I never ran anything in the opposite the sirfside locker. I put people and the tube on the surf side and any extra up front. Try putting the wake plate down first, then add a little speed.

FWIW - I find I have to adjust my setup everytime we go out. I have a base starting point, then change speed, plate, ballast, people based on crew, water conditions, etc.

jmvotto
05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
600 in rear, 400 in center 4 adults ( about 700lbs )on port side, one driver

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9749&d=1254928758

Canuckle Head
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
So what should the wave look like?

Since we're new to wakesurfing it seems like the pocket is very small area, the wave is very steep and if you're not careful you can get enough speed to hit the swim platform or the back side of the boat. Guess we need to lengthen/widen the pocket?

Currently, we have a 750(full) in the rear, 750(halfish) port side center and a tube sac(300lb ish) up front and around 9.5-10mph..A little faster and a little wakeplate and more weight up front?

I have 02 LSV, guess that's the same hull as the OBV...

Yes, you need more weight up front and don't fill the opposite side rear at all. I find that this particualr hull likes to be on its side.

Canuckle Head
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
This is a video from last year of a friend of mine who I had just taught to surf. This isn't the best wave I have ever produced but it's not bad. In this scenario we have a 750 in the rear locker, maybe 500 in the seating area, center locker full and an IBS with approximately 500lbs & 3 adults totaling about 450lbs. Speed is 10.8 mph and the wakeplate at 3/4's up. (couple small kids in there too but not really significant)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UUJ7cWIEGY

parrothd
05-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Yes, you need more weight up front and don't fill the opposite side rear at all. I find that this particualr hull likes to be on its side.

Sorry, wasn't clear...All the weight is on the surf side, rear locker 750, the second 750 I have in the center playpen area, mostly on the surf side and a tube sac near the bow..

parrothd
05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
How much weight is the center locker usually?

Canuckle Head
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
400lbs I believe. If you take your rear seat and turn it 90 degrees so it's up against your cabin seating you can lay that 750 along the top of the seats on the surf side and it will help get that hull to lean over.

Do you have a picture of your wake? Does it look like mine or JM's?

parrothd
05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
There wasn't any time for pics with all the wipeouts/falling.... :)

Thanks for the seat tip, that should work perfectly!. We'll try it this weekend and take some pics, now that we know what it should look like. The wave we had was very steep and high(seemed like you were surfing above the boat) with little length..

wolfeman131
05-31-2012, 05:48 PM
quick vid showing our OBV wave with setup I detailed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGkcPyl1EI

never thought I'd say this, but maybe too much weight towards the back for you?

z28ke
06-01-2012, 08:53 PM
That's a nice looking wave, I'm also having trouble lengthening the pocket on my 08 OBV. Just got a 750 to replace the rear 400 and going to put the 400 on the seat. I like the idea of turning the rear bench so it can sit as port side as possible. I don't plan on getting a bow sac and that might be hurting me, I'll try to move some people up there this weekend to see the difference in the wave.

parrothd
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Getting there, rope threw me off.. :)

http://youtu.be/WjvEIVkoHF4

http://youtu.be/m8a0et8cyFw

wolfeman131
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
You're getting it! And, the wave looks good.

IMO, both riders will benefit from moving the toes on their lead foot (left) closer to the rail (edge of the board). On that board, I'd get them right up to the edge of the traction. Also, don't try and throw the rope into the boat yet. It's easier to just kind of drop it on the other side of the wave. It usually stays there, or folks in the boat can pull it in. Throwing the rope causes a lot of people to lose their balance and wipe out.

parrothd
06-17-2012, 11:56 PM
http://youtu.be/Y40fABs4UYk

Getting better.. :)