PDA

View Full Version : Rusted plate

Bearfoot
05-29-2012, 02:16 PM
2003 Outback. Plate holding fins is rusted so bad it's like paper. Has the plate been replaced with a metal that won't rust?

DOCDRS
05-29-2012, 06:24 PM
wire mesh ir or sand it then spray undercoating on it

98Roo
05-30-2012, 09:36 PM
You talking about the plate the pylon is bolted to? I took my entire pylon assembly to a machine shop and had it made out of stainless. They had to chop the old steel one up just to get the pylon out of it.

Hoopskier
05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
You talking about the plate the pylon is bolted to? I took my entire pylon assembly to a machine shop and had it made out of stainless. They had to chop the old steel one up just to get the pylon out of it.

My boat has an aluminum mount for the pylon. Maybe they switched mid-production. Might be able to order it OEM since outbacks havent changed hulls since 03. Or custom made as mentioned. Dont know what will be cheaper.

Lynn Syndrom
06-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Bearfoot - I purchased my 2003 Outback in the fall of 2010 and it had the same issue. The steel plate was rusted significantly and several layers of steel had flaked off of the main plate just aft of the pylon. I wire bushed it very good, painted it with rustoleum "rusty metal primer" and then with rustoleum black paint. It held up well and had to touch it up this year before the season. To answer the other part of your question - You can purchase a new plate and pylon mount (all one piece) which is now made out of aluminum from a dealer. Provide Hull ID number and they can get one for you. I have considred this repair but did not want to try to remove fins myself from underneath boat. I might have to in the futre if rust continues or if anymore metal flakes away.

In april of 2011 I was quoted a price of $255.00 for the plate including pylon bracket from Skiers Choice.

Hope this helps.