PDA

View Full Version : Loose steering

usaski1
05-29-2012, 12:08 AM
loose steering... seems like I turn the wheel 1/8th to 1/4 before the boat actually start turning. Cable feels smooth. Is this an adjustment under the helm. or is it the.. stuffing box? And for either the box or the helm, how do you adjust? I know I need to grind on my rudder more, but this feels unrelated.

jikemones
07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Have you had any luck resolving this problem?

Garn
07-23-2012, 02:09 PM
I am having the same problem on my 2007 Mobius LS. Can anyone please help with this!?!?

Garn

jikemones
07-31-2012, 01:09 PM
So I've narowed the play or backlash to the fitting off of the strut through bolts that clamp the steering cable down. I've tightened them down with no change in the backlash at the steering wheel. (the clamp itself isn't static and allows some play, this transfers into backlass at the steering wheel) My next step is to see if there is an alternative steering cable clamp. Anyone else have any other conclusions?

phospher
07-31-2012, 02:52 PM
It's hard to tell if your steering slop is normal or abnormal. A little play is usually normal though not desired by most serious boat drivers. Check out this thread as it explains a bit about steering "slop".

http://www.amskierboats.com/forum/index.php/topic,2487.0.html

Hopefully it's helpful..

rdlangston13
07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
there is a thread on here about someone doing a hydraulic steering conversion. now this is something that i would REALLY be interested in when time to replace my cable comes.

jikemones
07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
It's hard to tell if your steering slop is normal or abnormal. A little play is usually normal though not desired by most serious boat drivers. Check out this thread as it explains a bit about steering "slop".

http://www.amskierboats.com/forum/index.php/topic,2487.0.html

Hopefully it's helpful..

Thanks for the info. I have had boats in the past with tuned rudders. This is a different issue. I estimate 2 to 3 inches of play in the steering wheel. In some instances I can actually feel rudder catch when turning from left to right. My local dealership is the one who pointed me to the steering cable clamp toggle. I'd like to hear from one of the Skiers Choice engineers on how to address this. I've also checked Teleflex's website for some information and had not luck. I would also like to eliminate the steering cable chatter when throttling up too.

Thanks,
Mike

phospher
07-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I have had boats in the past with tuned rudders. This is a different issue. I estimate 2 to 3 inches of play in the steering wheel.
Mike

Wow, yep, I hear ya. That is way too much play! Good luck and let us know.

wolfeman131
07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
I'd like to hear from one of the Skiers Choice engineers on how to address this.

Mike,

You can try sending an email to [email protected] with your question.

Garn
08-01-2012, 12:29 PM
So I've narowed the play or backlash to the fitting off of the strut through bolts that clamp the steering cable down.

Jikemones, I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to here. Can you be a bit more specific about where this is at, what it is, and what you did? I have the exact same problem as you on my 07 LS.

Thanks,

Garn

usaski1
08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
I still have not corrected it, but I have ground the rudder quite a bit with an angle grinder, and it has done nothing for me, seems as if I can't even feel the tension due to the grind, maybe its a little firmer... I actually did check it with someone turning the wheel, and the rudder does turn with any movement of the wheel, and is very sensitive. make a small turn on the wheel, and the rudder does move. Im still not satisfied with the handling of this boat compared to others, hard to keep straight down the slalom course.

wolff supra21v
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I also have the same problem start about a month ago and i check everything in the back of the boat is seam fine. Also with mine you cannot feel the play with the boat out of the water but everyone who drives the boat says there is some thing wrong.
i am thinking it has to be something in the steering rack under the dash. I am going to try and order a new cable and i believe it come with the rack(bar under the dash) Not really sure i been trying to deal with an Indiana dealer (they been helpfull) being i do not have a close IL dealer any more.
I believe the cable is 18' stearing cable on a 07 supra 21v does any one know if this is right before i order a cable.

BensonWdby
08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Depending on where you are in IL there is a MC dealer that would probably be able to work on you Supra in Farmer City between Bloomington and Champaign right on 74. I have seen no MC boats in his shop in the past.
http://theliquidedge.com/

BensonWdby
08-02-2012, 07:28 AM
So I meant 'non-MC' boats, i.e., he works on all inboards.

Depending on where you are in IL there is a MC dealer that would probably be able to work on you Supra in Farmer City between Bloomington and Champaign right on 74. I have seen no MC boats in his shop in the past.
http://theliquidedge.com/

rdlangston13
05-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Did anything ever come of this? I have the same 2-3" play in my wheel and I have had other people the same boat drive and they say that is feels different than theirs.

rdlangston13
05-25-2013, 08:33 AM
I am having a hard time find the steering cable online using the part number SC gave me. Teleflex 106284 supposed to be an 18' cable....

papou
05-25-2013, 11:12 AM
I had the same slop in my steering on my 05 outb, for mine it was the gear that drivers the cable comming from the steering wheel lower bushing worn out .
Hope this helps

rdlangston13
05-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah I was told to take the rack off the back of the wheel and check the gears back there. How much did the repair run you?

Sent from my iPhone

papou
05-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Complete steering shaft assembly was just over 200$ here in Canada ,i did the job myself .

rdlangston13
05-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Ahhh so you can't just replace the gears then I guess

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Complete steering shaft assembly was just over 200$ here in Canada ,i did the job myself .

what do you look for to diagnose this? i will be inspecting mine this weekend

papou
06-06-2013, 09:47 AM
At the end of the steering wheel shaft on the housing you can see and feel the shaft move left or right when you turn the wheel slightly , you can actualy feel it come in and out of contact with the cable gear .i had about 2 inch of slop in the steering

Worlds22SSV
07-16-2013, 09:37 AM
what do you look for to diagnose this? i will be inspecting mine this weekend

David did you fix or diagnose your steering? i know have the same 2" slop, mine is also becoming difficult to steer at speed. I read in the owner manual and states lube steering and supposedly there is a grease zerk for the cable but have not looked for it yet.

rdlangston13
07-16-2013, 09:41 AM
David did you fix or diagnose your steering? i know have the same 2" slop, mine is also becoming difficult to steer at speed. I read in the owner manual and states lube steering and supposedly there is a grease zerk for the cable but have not looked for it yet.

I have not, I won't be around the boat for three weeks but I plan on just buying a new steering box and putting it on next time I am at the lake house. I think the cable is a little more labor intensive and will have to wait till winter

Sent from my iPhone

Hillbilly
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
I also had the sloppy issue......
I think my clamp/block down at the rudder might be sloppy.....But I also found that my wheel had quite a bit of play. I reached under my dash to the bottom of the steering wheel shaft and could feel where it met up with the gearbox. I had a good amount of play before the wheel engaged the gears......I checked around the tilt wheel assembly and found it to be loose. If you pull the black rubber trim piece up from around the back of the wheel you can turn the wheel left or right and there is a set/tightening screw. I tightened that up and it helped. But I noticed some more play yesterday and looked around the clamp block and it seems pretty sloppy. Anyone have any idea how much play should be in that clamp block? I guess the ball joint can wear out?

brain_rinse
10-08-2013, 08:44 AM
I also had the sloppy issue......
I think my clamp/block down at the rudder might be sloppy.....But I also found that my wheel had quite a bit of play. I reached under my dash to the bottom of the steering wheel shaft and could feel where it met up with the gearbox. I had a good amount of play before the wheel engaged the gears......I checked around the tilt wheel assembly and found it to be loose. If you pull the black rubber trim piece up from around the back of the wheel you can turn the wheel left or right and there is a set/tightening screw. I tightened that up and it helped. But I noticed some more play yesterday and looked around the clamp block and it seems pretty sloppy. Anyone have any idea how much play should be in that clamp block? I guess the ball joint can wear out?

I think this is the same issue I have. My clamp block is a sloppy mess.

eblom
10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
So is mine but I haven't attempted to tighten it because I didn't know if it was supposed to be tight or loose...

rdlangston13
10-08-2013, 09:53 AM
The clamp block is at the rear by the rudder??

Sent from my iPhone

brain_rinse
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
The clamp block is at the rear by the rudder??

Sent from my iPhone

Yep just forward of the rudder

kaneboats
06-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Is everybody still dealing with the "sloppy steering" issue? Anybody had success with a fix they tried?

rdlangston13
06-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Changed the gear box that connects the to the steering rack on the cable and the cable and steering is still sloppy. No luck

Sent from my iPhone

chadjitsu1
07-31-2014, 01:25 PM
I have the same issue with my boat, could it be because the cable itself is flexing, it seems like the cable is really long and I would think over that distance if it were not strapped down good it would move. I may be way off here I don't know. Next time I get my boat out of the water I will play and see

Changed the gear box that connects the to the steering rack on the cable and the cable and steering is still sloppy. No luck

Sent from my iPhone

rdlangston13
07-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Well i have been behind the wheel of some other boats recently and my buddies Axis A20 does the same thing as well as my buddies Supra 21V so I guess this is just normal. The best way to fix this is not to drive a new SA so you never know any different!

kaneboats
07-31-2014, 02:52 PM
You would think that something that loosens up could just be tightened up. :mad:

papou
07-31-2014, 07:27 PM
I found something loose on my 2012 LSV ill take a pic I bet its your issue to.

papou
07-31-2014, 07:39 PM
Here's what I did, I removed the part link or something what ever it's called it seems under high load the part opens up and the bushing plays back and forth , I removed it and squeezed it back together .
Hope this helps http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/01/uge3equ8.jpg

papou
07-31-2014, 07:45 PM
I new something was wrong when I couldn't hold a strait line pulling a boarder . Issue was solved

rdlangston13
07-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I will check this out next chance I get!

kaneboats
08-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Ditto! Worth a shot.

papou
08-03-2014, 05:50 PM
I still had a bit of play and found these two Allen keys loose http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/04/8erame5y.jpg

papou
08-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Went out surfing for about 3 hours and the steering felt sloppy again and after investigating the rudder link opened up again .
1\8 play in the bushing gave me about 1-1\2 in the wheel I think it needs to be welded so it doesn't open . http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/04/hadydyre.jpg

rdlangston13
08-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I wonder if there is just a smaller bushing that can be purchased to take up the slack??

papou
08-03-2014, 08:31 PM
The bushing is built onto the bolt I'm thinking of getting it tack welded so it doesn't open http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/04/e5utyhed.jpg

rdlangston13
08-03-2014, 09:32 PM
I wonder if they just have a newer design out now that holds tighter that you get for cheap.

kaneboats
08-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Went out all day Sat. and didn't get a chance to look at mine yet. Wonder if a small clamp around the outside might work.

jikemones
07-20-2015, 05:00 PM
FYI, pulling boat and taking to the dealer to try and resolve the "loose steering" steering wheel backlash issue. I will post how it goes. Very frustrating!

smokeysevin
07-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Is the end of the steering cable just a fixed pinned connection or does the cable end thread onto the cable?

Sean

rdlangston13
07-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Pin i believe

Sent from my iPhone

Lynn Syndrom
07-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Is there packing material in the mechanical seal for the rubber as there is on the drive shaft seal? Could this be a contributing factor? Video on YouTube made some similar statements.
I have these same issues and have a new steering cable and rack assembly which I am changing tonight on the 2003 Outback.

Lynn Syndrom
07-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Sorry I meant RUDDER.

kaneboats
07-22-2015, 11:38 PM
This is the kind of stuff that keeps me from buying a new CRAZ. Love the boat but if there's no fix for stuff like this then I may as well keep the one I have and deal with it. What did they do different to fix this? Or are the new owners going to experience the same thing in a couple years when stuff gets loose?

Lynn Syndrom
07-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Went out surfing for about 3 hours and the steering felt sloppy again and after investigating the rudder link opened up again .
1\8 play in the bushing gave me about 1-1\2 in the wheel I think it needs to be welded so it doesn't open . http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/04/hadydyre.jpg

Finished the steering cable install last night. Not a bad job but I sure would also: 1) Purchase and install a new connector (cable to rudder arm as pictured above in papou's post) as mine was worn and had allot of play.
2) Go over all the steering system from steering wheel to rudder to check for loose bolts, nuts, and set screws. I found a few which I used lock-tight (blue removable) on the threads of those fasteners to help keep them tight. Steering has about 1/4 of the play in it before the cable went bad.

Thanks for the thread and the info...as always I love the info and support from yinz Moomba fans.

MasterMind
07-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Anyone who is still having this issue should refer to the attached photo, especially if you have tilt wheel. papou in post #40 seems to have the fix. There are two allen keys in the steering column under the rubber boot. They loosen up over time and cause the "play" in the steering wheel. My brother jikemones and I both had this problem and Mike was able to correct his by simply tightening the allen keys. Unfortunately, I didn't catch mine in time and the assemble was damaged and requires replacement.

FYI - I replaced my steering rudder block holder and my cable before I discovered this. CHECK THE TILT FIRST before you do anything else.

MasterMind
07-27-2015, 09:45 AM

Had a little trouble with the photo from previous post>

jikemones
07-27-2015, 10:53 AM
This thread was started 05-29-2012 about the same time I started experiencing a “loose steering issue”. Anyone with any steering slop needs to check the two Allen bolts located in the steering knuckle under the rubber boot.

Garn
07-30-2015, 11:50 AM
I looked last night on my 07 LS and I only saw one Allen bolt that seemed to go all the way through with a locking nut on the other side. Where is the 2nd allen bolt?

Garn

jikemones
07-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Look a little deeper or further down the knuckle. On mine it was really hard to see. Tightening them has made a considerable difference!

murraymoomba
08-05-2015, 03:15 PM
I could only see one allen bolt on ours also. It did seem to help just with the one being tightened.

eblom
08-05-2015, 03:30 PM
I could only find 1 allen on my 2008 LSV... I tightened it and there was a huge improvement... Is there any way someone could post a pic of the 2nd bolt?

JHutch
08-05-2015, 09:33 PM
How are you guys getting the rubber boot off to find this?

murraymoomba
08-05-2015, 10:21 PM
I worked my boot off from the bottom.

SkiBoy
08-07-2015, 05:05 PM
99 Outback LS, one Allen and locking nut. Tightened and made a huge difference. Thanks for the tip!

license to ill
11-07-2019, 12:16 PM
2013 Mobius LSV:

I also had loose steering. I couldn't find the Allen keys so I decided to take the wheel assembly apart. I realized after it was apart that you can only see the Allen keys only if the wheel is turned such that they would be visible so if you don't see them. Spin the wheel around while you're looking under the skirt. I also found most of the other bolts to be loose so I took them all out and applied blue lock tight. Mine only had 1 of the 2 Allen keys. Maybe the other one fell out? My steering clamp block near the engine was also loose. I had to tighten the mounting bolt for that.

https://i.imgur.com/x99uAf0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kUf7UD5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9LutXKG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jXKVAip.jpg