PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat cracks

swany
05-28-2012, 10:32 PM
I am about to purchase a 06 Mobius XLV (super stoked!! - first boat I have ever owned...)

There is quite a bit of cracking in the gelcoat that has me concerned. The seller supposedly has lost a few potential buyers due to the issue, although he claims that it is cosmetic (per his dealer/mechanic).

Does this appear to be cosmetic?
if so, is this a $1000 - 1500 repair?

If not, is this something more serious, for which I should reconsider this purchase?

thanks

swany
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
I am getting word this could be structural damage, not just surface cracks - getting apprehensive...
any advice??

wolfeman131
05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Take it to a dealer yourself or have it inspected to get peace of mind. And, keep looking. The right boat is out there.

lsvboombox
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Plenty of boats out there. Stress cracks arent uncommon but those would have me looking for other boats

Cigars n scotch
05-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Those Do not look good, though I am no gelcoat expert.

I have a few small hairline ones on my transom right on the rear locker opening but they are minor and I figured would just happen but those cracks look more serious.

motosno963
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
i have some on my 04 outback but mine are above the bumper rail.. one looks like someone droped something on it and spider cracked it..those ones under the bumper rail makes me think he hit something

WaterBullDawg1980
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Too many imo. The only cracks I have are on my tower legs. I looked and cannot find one other spot on my entire boat with cracks. I do not think that is normal.

Just my opinion though! As has been said, plenty of boats out there, so keep looking!

bergermaister
05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd pass - those look pretty serious. Those cracks are most likely coming from impacts or some sort of excessive force unless it is shoddy manufacturing (not likely).

I hit a submerged dead head a few summers ago that took out all my running gear - prop, rudder, strut, driveshaft,... The impact threw the whole boat 2ft to the side and I was only idling when I hit it. There were spider cracks on the bottom of the hull from it - but no where near as severe as in those pics.

viking
05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd meet at the dealer with the seller and have a reputable dealer give an opinion. The only way to really know!

motosno963
05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Too many imo. The only cracks I have are on my tower legs. I looked and cannot find one other spot on my entire boat with cracks. I do not think that is normal.
same with my outback and i think its due from me pulling up riders and putting stress on the tower and down to the mount..and i also noticed my tower does not have the rubber spacers (from what i can tell) so that was my cause of having the cracks..ohh and also i have gone tubing in like 3 foot rollers (at least ) and u can watch the tuber disapear behind the roller and i have hit them head on with my outback and i dont see any cracks in my hull..so whatever this guy hit(probably i dont know) must have hit something hard

swany
05-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks.
Thanks sll for thr detailed feedback.

I had no replies this am, then banged out a quick knee scope this am.
Already walking w no crutches.
Should be good to hit the water in 3 weeks.

Now I just need a boat!!
This one sounds perhaps more hassle/issue than it is worth.

DOCDRS
05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
I'd pass on that one !!!

Salyers
05-29-2012, 08:54 PM
No Bueno!! Pass!